Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airbnb is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

There are some scams using airbnb to get their money.

It was tried on me. Rental on daft, and they wanted me to rent out the apt from airbnb because they were out of ireland.
    Very strange. Glad I didnt fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Myself and the missus are heading away for a few nights in October, hoping to use Air BnB. Nothing booked yet but there seems to be a decent saving on hotel rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Oh yes please! I'd love the reduced tax.

You’re confusing corporate with personal tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bit of a mess and a broken mirror. Much better than what long term tenants do to a place if they're so inclined.

Sure. Have this 4x a year and see how funny it is. Place is in Amsterdam so with all the dopeheads coming over for a weekend all year long, chances are this will happen 4x a year.

Reading you general opinion on people renting i know you probably think of me, who is renting here since i came to Ireland, worse than Bin Laden but i havent broken a plate that wasnt mine in all those years.

I am quite happy with my current landlord who has things fixed in reasonable time if something like a washing machine breaks down.
    I also had the pleasure of renting from some **** who thought it was acceptable not to fix the heater for a month in january\february.
    Guess who i ****ed over at the revenue office when i had the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pkiernan wrote: »
    My last tenant has just abandoned my apartment owing 2 months rent. Kitchen is ruined and furniture has been left behind. No forwarding address.
    And that makes me one of the lucky landlords.

I'm gonna spend 8 to 10 grand fixing it up. Then it's straight to Air BnB.

You didnt do a great job getting those tenants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If you live beside one you might have a different opinion.

I lived beside 3. One above, one below and one beside. It was much better than having full time tenants in the apartments. Much quieter, less frequent parties and no one around during the day. Most people using Airbnb just want to see a city and sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Trying to book something in Galway for September. Prices are scandalous. Crappy single rooms for 60 euros a night. I've rented two-storey townhouses with big gardens for less than that in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Trying to book something in Galway for September. Prices are scandalous. Crappy single rooms for 60 euros a night. I've rented two-storey townhouses with big gardens for less than that in France.

I was in Salzburg last year. Airbnb were more expensive than decent 3* hotels. I found a nice hotel near a pedestrianised street for the same price as the cheapest Airbn. Checking out Lake Garda now and Airbnb looks far better value (reasonable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Used it twice in ireland, it was ok, very expensive to use here. I've used it for many years outside Ireland and you get way more bang for your buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just read a story about 4 under 18 teenage girls stranded at an airport in NZ because their flight was cancelled due to bad weather. Airline said sleep at the airport, not our problem, local hotels said your minors, get lost, Airbnb hosts came to their rescue and provided accommodation.

I think Airbnb does more good than harm. It shines a light on the greed of entrenched interests and the overly costly and burdensome weight of bureaucracy and over regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

.... not if you're looking for a reasonable long-term rental in a popular city.

I'm sure you never, ever rented one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mariaalice wrote: »
    Don't agree with it being used as an unstaffed hotel in cities, but that could be managed with regulation.

What now? What else is it only an unstaffed hotel?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What now? What else is it only an unstaffed hotel?

In popular cities. I would ban the use of agencies and one person or company having multiple properties in other words if someone one wants to run it as a personal small business with one or two properties work away but it has to stay at that level.

The above would solve a lot of the problems very quickly.

In rural areas and less popular cities leave as is.

I am amazed that people think they are going to get a bargain in cities like Galway or Barcelona anywhere considered cool or that has a bit of hipster element is not going to be cheap.

There are places where a hotel would be a cheaper option.

It has brought tourism to new areas, rural central Europe is not overrun with hotels Airbnb has brought tourism in which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

mariaalice wrote: »
    In popular cities. I would ban the use of agencies and one person or company having multiple properties in other words if someone one wants to run it as a personal small business with one or two properties work away but it has to stay at that level.

The above would solve a lot of the problems very quickly.

In rural areas and less popular cities leave as is.

I am amazed that people think they are going to get a bargain in cities like Galway or Barcelona anywhere considered cool or that has a bit of hipster element is not going to be cheap.

There are places where a hotel would be a cheaper option.

It has brought tourism to new areas, rural central Europe is not overrun with hotels Airbnb has brought tourism in which is a good thing.

Ryanair and Easyjet etc have brought people to these places, not Airbnb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement