Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Miller lineups announced.

• 09-08-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

The line ups have been officially announced here.
    Let's not let this thread turn into a slanging match please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Strong lineups which is great to see.

Why the jaysus is it on on a Tuesday though? That should be played on a Saturday or Sunday for maximum exposure you'd have thought. Unless you're based in Munster, you're not making that game unless you swing a half day or day off from work. I'd have gone, but Roscommon to Cork ain't happening midweek.

Hopefully they get a good crowd
    The difference in potential revenues is now expected to be €2 million compared to €350,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd say it has something to do with trying to get all the players in one spot at one time.

A few of them would have pundit gigs at the weekends so would rule out a few of the more notable players.

I'm lucky, stadium is a 2 min walk from the office and I'm off that day so I'm going to pop down with a few buddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Manchester United XI will feature Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Ronny Johnsen, Paul Scholes, Denis Irwin, David May, Louis Saha, Rio Ferdinand, Quentin Fortune, Andy Cole, Michael Clegg, Mikael Silvestre, Kevin Pilkington, Dion Dublin, Roy Carroll, Gary Neville and Alan Smith.

The Ireland/Celtic side will feature David Forde, Stephen Carr, Kevin Kilbane, Richard Dunne, Kenny Cunningham, Keith Andrews, Kevin Doyle, Stephen McPhail, Andy Reid, Robbie Keane, Damian Duff, Lee Carsley, Colin Healy, Shaun Maloney, Paul Lambert, John Hartson, Neil Lennon, Stylian Petrov and Shane Supple.

Line ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going to try and go to this but working this Monday morning so wont get a chance to buy a ticket til lunchtime. Think all the tickets will sell out to benefit the charitys and prob not all ticket holders will go as its an awkward enough time. Is it a day off school for something does anyone knw ???

I wonder will they actually line out the pitch in soccer diemintions or just take the goals down and put soccer ones in ???

Travelmaster are doing buses to and from the game from a number of locations. Great service

https://travelmaster.ie/product/bus-to-liam-miller-tribute-match-pairc-ui-chaoimh/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder will they actually line out the pitch in soccer diemintions or just take the goals down and put soccer ones in ???

lol... A soccer pitch is much shorter, and there will be a GAA match beforehand. Goals will just be placed on the 20m line or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Would love to be there but Tuesday at 3 is impossible with work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lol... A soccer pitch is much shorter, and there will be a GAA match beforehand. Goals will just be placed on the 20m line or whatever.

No GAA match before hand.

There will be a underage exhibition hurling puck around at HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There will be a underage exhibition hurling puck around at HT.

they don't miss a trick do they :cool:

a video tribute to LM on the big screen would be more appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are all the players taking part for free, are they all travelling over and giving up their time for nothing?

Fair play if they are.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    they don't miss a trick do they :cool:

The underage team involved is the team Miller played with underage.

Typical response though from some people.

No matter what the GAA do some c**t will complain.

No matter what the GAA do some c**t will complain.

Bit strong, no?

Anyway, it works the other way. No matter what they do, some fellow will defend them.

They fought very hard to deny a cancer victim's family and a hospice the chance to benefit from a charity game in one of their stadiums, they can't expect everyone to applaud them for finally caving after a long stand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

fryup wrote: »

All they are missing is a big screen :D

So are they laying out the pitch in soccer size or just half aresing it and have no box/kick off spot and just use the GAA sized pitch for the laugh

Could be a long evening if the pitch is GAA sized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Are all the players taking part for free, are they all travelling over and giving up their time for nothing?

Fair play if they are.

id say so. it would be very bad form if they wanted to be paid to play in a charity match where the proceeds go to the family of a deceased former colleague of theirs. im sure a night in cork wont break the likes of scholes or neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

pgj2015 wrote: »
    id say so. it would be very bad form if they wanted to be paid to play in a charity match where the proceeds go to the family of a deceased former colleague of theirs. im sure a night in cork wont break the likes of scholes or neville.
    I'm sure I read somewhere most if not all the players are flying back straight after the match. That's the reason they have to play it in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bit strong, no?

Anyway, it works the other way. No matter what they do, some fellow will defend them.

They fought very hard to deny a cancer victim's family and a hospice the chance to benefit from a charity game in one of their stadiums, they can't expect everyone to applaud them for finally caving after a long stand off.

exactly, if it was a pop/rock concert they wouldn't hesitate in allowing it to go ahead, ka-ching!

but a charity match for a local lad who played "soccer" they drag their heels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I would hope so to be honest, most of these guys are millionaires and could well afford a Ryanair flight over :) With all of the moral outrage about the venue, one would think this is the case, but is their any confirmation of this. I remember hearing figures quoted before for charity games (the annual Soccer Aid bash was one) and come of fees and 'expenses'were eye-watering for what was supposedly a charity gig.

I would hope so to be honest, most of these guys are millionaires and could well afford a Ryanair flight over :) With all of the moral outrage about the venue, one would think this is the case, but is their any confirmation of this. I remember hearing figures quoted before for charity games (the annual Soccer Aid bash was one) and come of fees and 'expenses'were eye-watering for what was supposedly a charity gig.

There was a mention on one of these Liam Miller threads about eye watering fees alright.

But one thing though is I'd expect their traveling and other expenses to be paid.

If you're an ex pro then I'm sure you're being asked every day of the week to play in some charity game of another, all with good causes.

They can hardly be expected to be at them out of their own pockets.

And even if you are an ex pro and made (and also squandered) millions for a short time, your career is over in mid 30s, a time when most careers are only rarely starting.

Other employment prospects are so so, so many are not necessarily a wash with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Line ups

Fair play to you.

I was drawn in by the thread title but was disappointed with the op.;)

• Advertisement

Tickets on sale at 10am in the morning

Anyone having difficulty with tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep

you couldn't make this up

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭valc

cant access the web site.
    Trying since 9.40 a.m.

The original tickets were available on ticketmaster I believe, change of venue meant change of vendor, hence, a site that seems to have crashed. :o

Has anyone got in to the site?

I've given up in work anyway, I'll try again later when it hopefully will calm down.

Irish mirror reporting site has crashed.
    I'll keep my eye on it as much as I can (in work also!!) and post here if anything changes

• Advertisement

website back up and running. Just got in and there are 1402 people in queue ahead of me!

I got 2 tickets for the south stand upper. Apparently the €40 tickets for south stand upper are now sold out. Actually think this may sell out today

Just joined the que, 2.4k people ahead of me apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Only terrace tickets left apparantly. I was gonna wait a few days and see how it goes, I had no idea it would sell like this. Not sure if I want to stand in a terrace a million miles away.

Got in just before 11.30

Got 1 ticket for the Upper South Stand Block 304 Row N €50. The €40 Lower South Stand ticket I got offered was in Block 110 Row U and I would not see much from there. Seems the €40 was for corners of the stands and €50 was for central sections

I reckon a lot of people have bought tickets to support the cause and maybe not attend the game itself or are unable too as it's an awkward time tbf

Hope it's a good occasion and I'm looking forward to it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

38k sold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’m away at the moment but my buddy got one for the north stand. €40. Looking forward to it now

Seems to be a good response to this.

There was only terraced tickets available yesterday at about 8pm.

Looks like it will sell out.

Would it be the first time the revamped PuC is sold out for any game?

Good to see, some of those who bitterly opposed the opening up of the ground on the GAA forum kept on invoking the attendance issue.

Looks like it will sell out.

Would it be the first time the revamped PuC is sold out for any game?

Good to see, some of those who bitterly opposed the opening up of the ground on the GAA forum kept on invoking the attendance issue.

Cut out the revisionist history.

Very few on the GAA form were opposed to opening it.

What pissed off most were the way there was a bandwagon of people blaming the GAA for not suddenly throwing open their doors without any sort process.

Its good to see all the tickets being sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0814/985007-liam-miller-tribute-match-a-complete-sellout/

I had to double check the last line of the article:
    A juvenile GAA match will be played at half-time.

Initially I read it as the GAA were being petty/juvenile for throwing on a GAA game on at halftime :pac:

• Advertisement

Cut out the revisionist history.

Very few on the GAA form were opposed to opening it.

Ummmm, read my post again. I didn't refer to numbers, I said that some of those who were against opening up the ground invoked the attendance issue.

It is great to see the charity optimise the amount raised. In a cost benefit analysis, it is great to see a ground that we paid tens of millions for finally sell all the tickets for sports event. It is ironic that the first time this will happen is at an event that the GAA initially said was prohibited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Hopefully they get a good crowd

PUC sold out now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    PUC sold out now too

This was news yesterday. But keep that post count going :rolleyes:

Great it got such a great response.

Makes the whole original issue of it being blocked look even more ridiculous.

Fair play to all involved for getting it over the line, and unlucky to the naysayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bot43 wrote: »
    This was news yesterday. But keep that post count going :rolleyes:

:o

I'm glad it did sell out PUC, great for the charities and family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

glad it had sold out for liams family. on another note it is funny how people will pay 40-50 euro to see a load of 40 something retired players, play a friendly game but it would never cross their minds to go watch a competitive league of ireland game for 15-20 euro. they would rather get a plane to manchester or liverpool to watch "their" team play.

Ugh

glad it had sold out for liams family. on another note it is funny how people will pay 40-50 euro to see a load of 40 something retired players, play a friendly game but it would never cross their minds to go watch a competitive league of ireland game for 15-20 euro. they would rather get a plane to manchester or liverpool to watch "their" team play.

Maybe because its for charity ?

Hopefully they print a decent programme for this. Giving info on what the players are working at now. We obv know some of the players jobs now

You could have just posted that and be done with, the rest of your point is as useful as a chocolate teapot in the context of the thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement