Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Miller lineups announced.

Comments

Yes,Scholes and Keane back in midfield again. What a tribute to Liam Miller this is,great turn out from the players and supporters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nice that a Corkmam scored the first ever soccer goal at PUC.

Would really love if the Ireland national team could play in the ground once a year or so, especially games that the Aviva wouldn't sell out for.

45,000 fans in Cork is better than 45,000 fans in Dublin as that's where basically all games are played anyway. There's enough soccer fans in Cork and surrounding counties to ensure big turnouts.

Ireland v Australia in Thomond in 2009 would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This game bringing back so many nice memories. Denis Irwin scoring from the penalty spot, Robbie and Duffer back in an Ireland jersey, Roy wearing the armband and the number sixteen again. Great turnout for a great cause too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Andy Reid unsurprisingly has wintered well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

[/b]

20,672 turned up to watch Man City vs Limerick FC in Thomond back in 2012. I don't think a 25,000-seater stadium in Cork would be a white elephant. The government are planning on investing and growing the city as a counter-balance to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What’s the story with McNulty playing for United? Someone pull out late?

Fitting that Dublin wins it in Cork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You'd think a 5 yard run up and taking peno would be something that wouldnt really leave you when you're still relatively young .................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

[/b]

It suggests nothing tbh.

1. Cork City FC have the biggest soccer fan following in the country. They get the highest average attendance year after year.

2. Cork City is 2 and a half times bigger than Limerick City. Cork simply has way more people.

3. Ireland played Oman in Turner's Cross a couple of years ago and it sold out straight away.

4. 45,000 sell out in PUC at 3 o clock on a Tuesday to see a non competitive friendly made up of retired players is remarkable.

5. The novelty of having a full Irish international in Cork every year or so would guarantee a big crowd. The appetite is clearly there.

I never realised it before this week but Tommy Martin is actually very good as a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I never realised it before this week but Tommy Martin is actually very good as a presenter.

Was just thinking this, at least he's interested in the product, unlike Peter Collins for rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

462220.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great occasion and nice to see the stadium full but terrace looked very over crowded and not many stewards around. Traffic is crazy around now

Nice seeing some legends in person, it's a pity a few who were announced to be there didn't make it over. Very odd seeing of all people Shaun Maloney wearing an Ireland jersey. I'd say a few pints will be had tonight by the lads

Pitch was very wide and I imagine it's was a balls up by the groundsmen ??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It suggests nothing tbh.

1. Cork City FC have the biggest soccer fan following in the country. They get the highest average attendance year after year.

2. Cork City is 2 and a half times bigger than Limerick City. Cork simply has way more people.

3. Ireland played Oman in Turner's Cross a couple of years ago and it sold out straight away.

4. 45,000 sell out in PUC at 3 o clock on a Tuesday to see a non competitive friendly made up of retired players is remarkable.

5. The novelty of having a full Irish international in Cork every year or so would guarantee a big crowd. The appetite is clearly there.

It wouldn't guarantee one because Turners Cross can only hold a small crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Seeing as it was a Fundraiser, I'm surprised Virgin Media didn't mention the non attendance tickets/programme/raffle on sale here for €5 plus postage until the very end of their coverage (after they had signed off on VM3)

https://www.supportliammiller.com/cart/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Patww79 wrote: »
    It wouldn't guarantee one because Turners Cross can only hold a small crowd

Well there's no guarantees with anything in life. But seeing as it sold out straight away, as well as a 45,000 sell out today both show there is clearly an interest there. Having the odd game outside Dublin would be good for Irish soccer. It also was ridiculous when we played a 'home' game or two in Craven Cottage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Skid X wrote: »
    Seeing as it was a Fundraiser, I'm surprised Virgin Media didn't mention the non attendance tickets/programme/raffle on sale here for €5 plus postage until the very end of their coverage (after they had signed off on VM3)

https://www.supportliammiller.com/cart/

Am pretty sure it was mentioned by the host before the start of the match, and I was watching from the programe start at 2pm.

Well there's no guarantees with anything in life. But seeing as it sold out straight away, as well as a 45,000 sell out today both show there is clearly an interest there. Having the odd game outside Dublin would be good for Irish soccer. It also was ridiculous when we played a 'home' game or two in Craven Cottage.

It sold out 45k today because it was a high profile charity event featuring some former players that would be heroes to those in attendance

Over the past few years Ireland have had attendances for friendlies around 27k in the biggest city in the country.

You are not going to get any more in a smaller city like Cork

There is zero value in building a soccer stadium in Cork to hold such an event

Ireland hosted Belarus in Cork a few years ago and a capacity 7.5k were at it.

The last time they hosted games outside Dublin in a stadium of a 25k they got attendances of 14.5k (South Africa) and 19k (Australia)

All numbers sourced from
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic-of-ireland/tab/stats/option/attendances/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great occasion and nice to see the stadium full but terrace looked very over crowded and not many stewards around. Traffic is crazy around now

Nice seeing some legends in person, it's a pity a few who were announced to be there didn't make it over. Very odd seeing of all people Shaun Maloney wearing an Ireland jersey. I'd say a few pints will be had tonight by the lads

City Terrace was totally jammers

I thought Alan Smith was Gareth Bale :o

Louis Saha and Dion Dublin were great with the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Quinton Fortune you mean?

Was Andy Cole even there ???

I knw Rio Ferdinand didn't make it, can't recall seeing Petrov

It sold out 45k today because it was a high profile charity event featuring some former players that would be heroes to those in attendance

Over the past few years Ireland have had attendances for friendlies around 27k in the biggest city in the country.

You are not going to get any more in a smaller city like Cork

There is zero value in building a soccer stadium in Cork to hold such an event

Ireland hosted Belarus in Cork a few years ago and a capacity 7.5k were at it.

The last time they hosted games outside Dublin in a stadium of a 25k they got attendances of 14.5k (South Africa) and 19k (Australia)

All numbers sourced from
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic-of-ireland/tab/stats/option/attendances/

Getting 27,000 at a friendly in Dublin is no surprise. There are so many events/matches held there on an ongoing basis that there is no novelty factor for the general public.

I'm sorry but Limerick as an example simply doesn't stand up. It's not a soccer city and has a much smaller population than Cork.

The only examples that there is an audience for a big football match in Cork involves two sell out games. If the Ireland versus Wales or Denmark games were hosted in PUC I would put a big bet down that it would be a complete sell out as well. Even a friendly match would draw over 30,000 fans.

It was said that Cork couldn't support an Events Centre, and years after the sod has been turned building work hasn't even begun. But The Marque has been running for the last 13 years in a row and is a massive success. Ed Sheeran sold out 3 nights in a row in PUC.

People outside of Cork vastly underestimate just how many people live in Cork. It has a population of 550,00 people, with half that number living in and around the city. It has more people than at least 60 actual countries.

Not sure if Cole came on but he was interviewed while the game was going on so he was there. Petrov started for the Celtic/Ireland side.

No he wasn’t togged out at all. He’s sick. Colm on the P.A called Louis Saha, Andy Cole by mistake after the second goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

[/b]

Tickets were scandalously high priced for those friendlies.

Plus Cork is a lot bigger than Limerick.

To compare the two is nonsensical.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    No he wasn’t togged out at all. He’s sick. Colm on the P.A called Louis Saha, Andy Cole by mistake after the second goal

Won't say anything

Looked like all the players had a great time. I'm delighted a brand new GAA stadium (not perfect imo) was opened to soccer and hopefully it's the start of a relationship between all sporting organisations In this small country. It's 2018 not 1979 the country has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Quinton Fortune you mean?

I was sure it was Louis Saha and Dion Dublin :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The pitch was ridiculously big ,it was almost the full GAA pitch ,it was at least 30 yards too long and 15 yards too wide.

It would have been a much better game with a smaller pitch but I guess the people behind the terrace and at the ends of the stands would miss out on the action.

I was sure it was Louis Saha and Dion Dublin :p

Ha ha no that was fortune

Won't say anything

Looked like all the players had a great time. I'm delighted a brand new GAA stadium (not perfect imo) was opened to soccer and hopefully it's the start of a relationship between all sporting organisations In this small country. It's 2018 not 1979 the country has changed

Would seem like the best chance of filling it and getting value for the tens of millions. Yesterday's numbers matched the combined totals of all attendances at recent Munster Football Championships, and far exceeded any numbers Cork pulled at home ties in the Munster Hurling Championship.

• Advertisement

Would seem like the best chance of filling it and getting value for the tens of millions. Yesterday's numbers matched the combined totals of all attendances at recent Munster Football Championships, and far exceeded any numbers Cork pulled at home ties in the Munster Hurling Championship.

For a novelty.

Lock the doors now and if the FAI want to play in Cork they can build or redevelop Turners Cross.

For a novelty.

Lock the doors now and if the FAI want to play in Cork they can build or redevelop Turnera Cross.

In recent years the combined attendances in the Munster football rounds are in the 40 to 50k mark. The Cork hurlers drew a crowd of less than 25k to the Clare game and under 35k to their clash with the eventual All Ireland winners.

People can call for doors to be locked all they like, but they are in effect demanding that money be wasted and facilities lie idle to spite that soccer crowd.

In recent years the combined attendances in the Munster football rounds are in the 40 to 50k mark. The Cork hurlers drew a crowd of less than 25k to the Clare game and under 35k to their clash with the eventual All Ireland winners.

People can call for doors to be locked all they like, but they are in effect demanding that money be wasted and facilities lie idle to spite that soccer crowd.

GAA attendances are of no concern to the soccer crowd, they'd want to look closer to home. The GAA's main concern is to protect their own games and protect their own grounds.

The doors will be locked to soccer, no question. As they should be.

GAA attendances are of no concern to the soccer crowd, they'd want to look closer to home. The GAA's main concern is to protect their own games and protect their own grounds.

Attendances and the use of facilities for which taxpayers paid tens of millions are of no concern to taxpayers?

That's an amusing level of circling the wagons there.

Don't you think it was good to see a large crowd attend the stadium? Something the GAA itself has so far failed to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You must put in a lot of time training to be so bitter against other sports, thank god your sort is dying out in the real gaa world.

Attendances and the use of facilities for which taxpayers paid tens of millions are of no concern to taxpayers?

That's an amusing level of circling the wagons there.

Don't you think it was good to see a large crowd attend the stadium? Something the GAA itself has so far failed to achieve.

It was good to see a large crowd out for the charities, regardless of where it was. That was it.

If it was for full blown soccer internationals you'll see a proper fight from the GAA which will be a different kettle of fish. The charity was trying their hands too much last time.

It was good to see a large crowd out for the charities, regardless of where it was. That was it.

I thought it was nice to see a facility for which we paid tens of.millions finally host a large crowd, whether it was for a charity, a soccer match or any event at all. Heck, even Ed Sheeran and his little guitar optimise the full extent of the facility better than the GAA.

I thought it was nice to see a facility for which we paid tens of.millions finally host a large crowd, whether it was for a charity, a soccer match or any event at all. Heck, even Ed Sheeran and his little guitar optimise the full extent of the facility better than the GAA.

GAA attendance and support runs much deeper than a high profile inter-county game in the middle of summer.

Soccer attendance and support runs about as deep as we saw yesterday, a charity match with retired legends from clubs based in the UK.

If soccer really needed a 25k stadium in Cork it would have been built years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah back to this nonsense again.

GAA attendance and support runs much deeper than a high profile inter-county game in the middle of summer.

Soccer attendance and support runs about as deep as we saw yesterday, a charity match with retired legends from clubs based in the UK.

If soccer really needed a 25k stadium in Cork it would have been built years ago.

And rest assured, if it wasn't a bunch from Manchester and Glasgow you wouldn't have seen the half of it. Charity or not.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree. I live in Kerry. It's a religion here, and a fine element of Irish life.

It's just...they don't turn up at PuC. And as a taxpayer, I think it's a waste to see tens of millions frittered on Frank Murphy's vanity project if the GAA can only half fill it and it takes a soccer match, and as Patww noted only a novelty match at that, to show the GAA what a full PuC looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If "the GAA crowd" want their own facilities they can pay for them. As long as they take public money to build their facilities they can share them with the public and other sporting organisations.

If "the GAA crowd" want their own facilities they can pay for them. As long as they take public money to build their facilities they can share them with the public and other sporting organisations.

That's not really how it works though, no matter how much it's latched on to and pushed.

Well there are plenty of facilities that the GAA own that are paid for by tax payer money and are available to other sports to use.

Just because another sport cannot have full use of the pitch at a GAA facilities does not mean that the facility is not open to them.

Below is a link to a Google Earth view of the John Mitchell’s GAA club in Tralee, what’s that you see slap bang in the middle of it, yes an astro turf marked out for soccer.

Stadia like the Aviva and Tallagh that were payed for with public money are open to GAA clubs to use for various activities, but they will never be able to play a full match there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2486011,-9.6777847,552m/data=!3m1!1e3

Well there are plenty of facilities that the GAA own that are paid for by tax payer money and are available to other sports to use.

Just because another sport cannot have full use of the pitch at a GAA facilities does not mean that the facility is not open to them.

Below is a link to a Google Earth view of the John Mitchell’s GAA club in Tralee, what’s that you see slap bang in the middle of it, yes an astro turf marked out for soccer.

Stadia like the Aviva and Tallagh that were payed for with public money are open to GAA clubs to use for various activities, but they will never be able to play a full match there.

Is that pitch in Tralee available to local soccer clubs to rent and play competitive match’s on?

For some reason I can't see the link but, using your own criteria, are you confirming that "a full match" can be played there?

I have seen instances of the Kerry County Board step in and slap down GAA clubs for allowing KDL teams train on GAA facilities.

For some reason I can't see the link but, using your own criteria, are you confirming that "a full match" can be played there?

I have seen instances of the Kerry County Board step in and slap down GAA clubs for allowing KDL teams train on GAA facilities.

They’ve attempted similar in Cork in the past only for the clubs to tell them no.

And rightly so.

They’ve attempted similar in Cork in the past only for the clubs to tell them no.

In fairness, here in Kerry I've seen clubs, with very well known GAA figures like Pat Spillane, say absolutely yes, only for the County Board to stop it.

• Advertisement

No, I am just countering the over simplified argument that

"The public paid for it , the GAA should open it"

Advertisement