Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ECTS credits

• 09-08-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was just wondering is there any other way to get ECTS credits than doing a full degree?

For example, say to be a Maths teacher you need:

Analysis - minimum of 10 ECTS credits
    Algebra - minimum of 10 ECTS credits
    Geometry - minimum of 5 ECTS credits
    Probability and Statistics - minimum of 5 ECTS credits

Say you have some of these credits from your degree but you just need the Geometry - minimum of 5 ECTS credits one, how do you get this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Hi,
    I was just wondering is there any other way to get ECTS credits than doing a full degree?

For example, say to be a Maths teacher you need:

Analysis - minimum of 10 ECTS credits
    Algebra - minimum of 10 ECTS credits
    Geometry - minimum of 5 ECTS credits
    Probability and Statistics - minimum of 5 ECTS credits

Say you have some of these credits from your degree but you just need the Geometry - minimum of 5 ECTS credits one, how do you get this?

Thanks

You can take stand alone modules from Irish universities but it costs a lotttt! I was looking at a 5 ECTS module and was told it would be €800!!!! The Open University offers lots of different modules but it was nearly £2000 for 10 ECTS in my subject area. Perhaps in Maths they are cheaper...

One way around this if you are already in a post and paid for the summer holidays is to head off to Europe for 3 or 4 weeks and attend a European University summer school which gives ECTS for their courses. They offer many courses in English and if you head to Eastern Europe you can get ECTS for a fraction of the price. You get to discover a new place, have a little holiday and gain the ECTS! Look into it as university is free in many EU countries.

Obviously once you find a course you'll have to check with the gods in the TC, but if a course is from a university and worth ECTS they have to accept it. They accepted mine from a German university.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Ive a similar question to this one.
    I currently hold 
    • a level 7 degree in Electrical Engineering (120 ECTS).
    • a level 8 degree in Electronic Engineering (120 ECTS).
    • currently enrolled in BSc in Mathematics (120 ECTS).
    Aiming to qualify as a maths teacher for post primary level so will be doing a PME on completion of the Maths degree hopefully.

On the Teaching council website, one of the criteria state that 'The qualifying degree must carry a minimum of 180 ECTS)'. As you can see from points above none of my qualifications carry 180 ECTS individually. The reason for this is I satrted my level 7 in year 2 of the programme (as I was a qualified electrician I was exempt from 1st year), used my level 7 to get into the final year of the level 8, and then used my level 8 to get into the final year of the maths degree. My question is does anyone think this will suffice for the teaching council? Or could they potentially tell me I must have one degree carrying the minimum 180 ECTS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ive a similar question to this one.
    I currently hold 
    • a level 7 degree in Electrical Engineering (120 ECTS).
    • a level 8 degree in Electronic Engineering (120 ECTS).
    • currently enrolled in BSc in Mathematics (120 ECTS).
    Aiming to qualify as a maths teacher for post primary level so will be doing a PME on completion of the Maths degree hopefully.

On the Teaching council website, one of the criteria state that 'The qualifying degree must carry a minimum of 180 ECTS)'. As you can see from points above none of my qualifications carry 180 ECTS individually. The reason for this is I satrted my level 7 in year 2 of the programme (as I was a qualified electrician I was exempt from 1st year), used my level 7 to get into the final year of the level 8, and then used my level 8 to get into the final year of the maths degree. My question is does anyone think this will suffice for the teaching council? Or could they potentially tell me I must have one degree carrying the minimum 180 ECTS?

It's a funny one with the TC, I think a lot of Engineers loose out over people who have studied Business as they require financial maths (I'm open to correction on this).
    Also, if they say 180 credits they usually mean 180!!... Maybe in the current maths course you are studying you could try and get into some of the other classes (say the stats and financial maths which business Students do). But you would really have to find out which are the modules you are lacking from the teaching council. They can change on a whim so someone telling you they did x,y,z extra modules a few years ago might not necessarily align with the TC requirements today.

The safest option is to get your two courses assessed and see what the shortfall is. Unfortunately they might refuse to assess a course until you are finished it!

That's my take on it anyway.

If anything you could try and get into a school on a non maths subject (engineering... Applied Maths!!)and when the school sees your background they could give you a shot at the maths (especially if you've studied it to degree level with the college and taken the modules on the PME!!!!).

What is your second subject you would be chosing on the PME?

Thanks for the reply  
    A quick look at the recognized degree list from the teaching council website 2016 listed Mathematics and Applied Mathematics as the subjects I would be qualified to teach if I complete the Bsc in Mathematics. I know that list is only a guide and it changes all the time. Apart from those two subjects, which are pretty much all eggs in one basket, I dont think I qualify for any other subjects to teach. I know I could teach computer studies and engineering but I dont think they are options in the PME.
    I know it would be alot better for me to have 2 subjects but is it possible to do the PME with just one? Also, that sounds like a great idea to have my degrees assessed now and see what the shortfall is. They're are some electronic engineering degrees that have enough maths content to allow graduates to qualify for the teaching council requirements so it might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for the reply  
    A quick look at the recognized degree list from the teaching council website 2016 listed Mathematics and Applied Mathematics as the subjects I would be qualified to teach if I complete the Bsc in Mathematics. I know that list is only a guide and it changes all the time. Apart from those two subjects, which are pretty much all eggs in one basket, I dont think I qualify for any other subjects to teach. I know I could teach computer studies and engineering but I dont think they are options in the PME.
    I know it would be alot better for me to have 2 subjects but is it possible to do the PME with just one? Also, that sounds like a great idea to have my degrees assessed now and see what the shortfall is. They're are some electronic engineering degrees that have enough maths content to allow graduates to qualify for the teaching council requirements so it might be worth looking into.

Unless the TC have changed, I don't think they will assess your qualifications until you are registering.

• Advertisement

Unless the TC have changed, I don't think they will assess your qualifications until you are registering.

Maybe not but I could request an assessment on the degree that I have and maybe it will be clear from that if the degree I’m currently doing will suffice.

It’s a start anyways. Thanks for the help

Advertisement