Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a complete career change to beauty

Options
  • 09-08-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

So I’m 33 and work in sales. I hate it , I hate the harsh cut throat atmosphere of it. I loved it in my younger years and worked in predominantly male dominated industries.

I’m thinking of now changing it all up and training to be a waxing technician. I’m unsure though if I’m a lil old though ? Can anybody put some input in??

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

So I’m 33 and work in sales. I hate it , I hate the harsh cut throat atmosphere of it. I loved it in my younger years and worked in predominantly male dominated industries.

I’m thinking of now changing it all up and training to be a waxing technician. I’m unsure though if I’m a lil old though ? Can anybody put some input in??

No advice to give on working in the beauty industry but are you too old to change career? absolutely not.

Look into it properly, make sure you want to do it and then go and do it without further hesitation. These days bring in your thirties is just the infancy if many peoples careers. You are far from too old

• Registered Users Posts: 30 missymunchkin

greenttc wrote: »
    No advice to give on working in the beauty industry but are you too old to change career? absolutely not.

Look into it properly, make sure you want to do it and then go and do it without further hesitation. These days bring in your thirties is just the infancy if many peoples careers. You are far from too old

Thanks for your input :) I’m thinking it’s something I’m interested in , something I could do and with a child already and in the early weeks of a second pregnancy I could train while this one is cooking then get a job for a year or two in a salon then do it from home when I’m comfortable and experienced. I know it’s mostly younger girls which is slightly intimidating (ironic since I excel in male industries lol).

Maybe I just need to grab the bull by the horns and do it. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Bredabe

When I trained long ago, we had a group of 12, at least a quarter of them were over 30( ancient in relation to the school leavers or a year or two out of schoolers).

Our exams had a pass mark of 75%, but with enough practice, it shouldn't be any bother, but in my experience, it can be a very bitchy environment, on the plus side of that is that you learn skills that change your life.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    When I trained long ago, we had a group of 12, at least a quarter of them were over 30( ancient in relation to the school leavers or a year or two out of schoolers).

Our exams had a pass mark of 75%, but with enough practice, it shouldn't be any bother, but in my experience, it can be a very bitchy environment, on the plus side of that is that you learn skills that change your life.

Thanks for your reply :) I (maybe naively) think the bitchyness wouldn’t faze me. Men are way worse in the industries Iv worked in lol.

Can I ask are you still in the waxing business and where did you train ?

Thanks for your reply :) I (maybe naively) think the bitchyness wouldn’t faze me. Men are way worse in the industries Iv worked in lol.

Can I ask are you still in the waxing business and where did you train ?

Im not still in the biz, I found the upselling(as I was not an exclusively waxing therapist) was exhausting and I am too sensitive to tell ppl what they should feel bad in their appearances. I also found the kind of customer service needed in salons was way beyond my tolerance for it.

where I trained closed a long time ago and even then it wasn't great for the money they charged. In your course, I hope you don't come across as much bitchiness as in the aesthetic courses I did, it was intense there, so much so that one of my class has died of anorexia which started in that environment.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    Im not still in the biz, I found the upselling(as I was not an exclusively waxing therapist) was exhausting and I am too sensitive to tell ppl what they should feel bad in their appearances. I also found the kind of customer service needed in salons was way beyond my tolerance for it.

where I trained closed a long time ago and even then it wasn't great for the money they charged. In your course, I hope you don't come across as much bitchiness as in the aesthetic courses I did, it was intense there, so much so that one of my class has died of anorexia which started in that environment.

That’s awful !! Ah I’m thick skinned ( like literally ) lol. And I’m be packing a baby bump during the course so will look like the mitchelin man lol.

I think I’m gonna give it a shot.

That’s awful !! Ah I’m thick skinned ( like literally ) lol. And I’m be packing a baby bump during the course so will look like the mitchelin man lol.

I think I’m gonna give it a shot.

Absolutely! I've retrained a handful of times obv getting older as I went along, its always been worthwhile, good luck.

Advertisement