Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi Finals

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Dublin are not a cancer on the game, and its very unfair to describe them as so. They have also done an excellent job over the last 10-15 years to get to the level they are at. They have an exceptional squad and play great football

However, the comparison to the great Kerry and Kilkenny teams is not valid in terms of the expectation that every era will end. This is different. The game has moved on with finances and squad size now playing a huge part in the game. Dublin have a massive advantage in both cases, and thats not going to change any time soon. And before Dublin fans jump down my throat, I'm not saying this is the only reason they are successful, they have had a brilliant team for years now. But it is the reason why they will continue to dominate and the gap will grow wider

I don't have an answer as to how to fix that other than somehow perhaps providing increased funding to other counties. The idea of splitting Dublin is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Part of the problem with the game is that it has become too professional , highly trained athletes playing , money poured into the top counties , steely eyed "paid" managers and a general seriousness above what is an amateur game played by in the main small population bases (counties).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Part of the problem with the game is that it has become too professional , highly trained athletes playing , money poured into the top counties , steely eyed "paid" managers and a general seriousness above what is an amateur game played by in the main small population bases (counties).

That's what has made it better than ever. There's no way it goes backwards to the halcyon days of kick and catch. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

STB. wrote: »
    There's only two types of cancer in the game.

The awful defensive strategies that northern teams brought to the game.

The other is the green eyed monsters that don't like the dubs winning cause their own 15 aren't good enough.

Leinster football is an uncompetitive non event. It is completely dominated by one team for more than 10 years, and not a 'northern team' in sight.

The Leinster final has been won by 18 points in 2018, 9 points in 2017, 15 points in 2016, 13 points in 2015, 16 points in 2012.

And you think there is a problem with 'northern football'???

Could you maybe stop with the 'defensive' bluster and approach the problem with some credible comment?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dublin are not destroying the game, in fact they are raising the level of the game to new heights.

If people want to resort to using language such as cancer to describe Dublin GAA or the Dublin team, well then we know they are particularly desperate.

Same answer to you as to STB.

It is there in black and white in your own province. Destroyed as a competition by an over abundance of money.

Will you still be claiming there is no problem when they are winning Leinster titles with 50 points to spare? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It is there in black and white in your own province. Destroyed as a competition by an over abundance of money.

Will you still be claiming there is no problem when they are winning Leinster titles with 50 points to spare? :rolleyes:

That'll never happen, absolutely ludicrous to even suggest it.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That'll never happen, absolutely ludicrous to even suggest it.

Well maybe not, but at what point do you say, there is a problem here?
    We are supposed to be lovers of a game. And one of the primary characteristics of a 'game' is that it be competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hyperbole, there will never be 50-point wins.

If you want lack of competition, throw your thoughts back to the All-Irelands of 1979 and 1980.

Kerry won the Munster Championship in 1979 with an average points difference of 23. They then turned up into an All-Ireland and met Monaghan, who gave one of the worst performances ever seen in Croke Park, scoring a grand total of 0-7 in losing by 22 points. They only won the Final by 11 points, but there was an average winning margin of 20 points to the whole Championship. Granted, they only had to play 4 matches, and met possibly the worst Ulster Champions of all-time, but nobody was suggesting splitting Kerry or the end of Gaelic Football then.

1980, Kerry won the All-Ireland, playing only 3 matches. If any team had to play 3 matches to win an All-Ireland now, there would be outrage. Kerry had no real opposition in Munster then, and it wasn't one-off. From 1960 to 1986, Kerry won 21 out of 27 Munster Championships.

Yet, Cork have won All-Irelands since then.

Hyperbole, there will never be 50-point wins.

If you want lack of competition, throw your thoughts back to the All-Irelands of 1979 and 1980.

Kerry won the Munster Championship in 1979 with an average points difference of 23. They then turned up into an All-Ireland and met Monaghan, who gave one of the worst performances ever seen in Croke Park, scoring a grand total of 0-7 in losing by 22 points. They only won the Final by 11 points, but there was an average winning margin of 20 points to the whole Championship. Granted, they only had to play 4 matches, and met possibly the worst Ulster Champions of all-time, but nobody was suggesting splitting Kerry or the end of Gaelic Football then.

1980, Kerry won the All-Ireland, playing only 3 matches. If any team had to play 3 matches to win an All-Ireland now, there would be outrage. Kerry had no real opposition in Munster then, and it wasn't one-off. From 1960 to 1986, Kerry won 21 out of 27 Munster Championships.

Yet, Cork have won All-Irelands since then.

Those circumstances didn't persist for over 10 years and show no signs of getting better.

If you insist on not seeing the problem, you are generally a part of the problem.

Your own province has been destroyed as a competitive place. Those of your own fan base (Dublin) who enjoy competition are beginning to not show up, leaving attendance to those who enjoy seeing regular drubbings.
    Can you enjoy Leinster final after final that is a walkover of 10 to 15 points?
    I sincerely hope it never happens in my province anyhow, if it does I will be the first to admit there is a problem somewhere and I won't be trawling back 30 years or more to excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Dublin are not destroying the game, in fact they are raising the level of the game to new heights.

If people want to resort to using language such as cancer to describe Dublin GAA or the Dublin team, well then we know they are particularly desperate.

You stole a hybrid of Tyrone and Donegal's style of play (that you used to complain about non-stop), used the benefit of finances and squad size now playing a huge part in the game and think you're raising the level of the game to new heights. Please.

• Advertisement

We "stole"?

Lad, will you go take a bath.

We "stole"?

Lad, will you go take a bath.

:D:D When you are not willing to admit where it came from, 'stole' is as good a word as any.

The game evolves and the current styles of play evolved from exactly where he said. Doesn't take a genius to work it out.. etc etc.

:D:D When you are not willing to admit where it came from, 'stole' is as good a word as any.

The game evolves and the current styles of play evolved from exactly where he said. Doesn't take a genius to work it out.. etc etc.

Absolutely there are elements to our game which were taken and evolved from the early noughties teams... but stole? Jesus wept.

Absolutely there are elements to our game which were taken and evolved from the early noughties teams... but stole? Jesus wept.

Jesus wept nothing. You spend your whole time trying to distance yourself from Ulster football, when in reality your current style of play evolved from it. Simple really.

'Stole' is a jibe at that head in the sand haughtiness.

Jesus wept nothing. You spend your whole time trying to distance yourself from Ulster football, when in reality your current style of play evolved from it. Simple really.

'Stole' is a jibe at that head in the sand haughtiness.

I've never once distanced myself from anything of the sort. My pro-Ulster reputation goes before me.

Stop talking shoite!

Those circumstances didn't persist for over 10 years and show no signs of getting better.

If you insist on not seeing the problem, you are generally a part of the problem.

Your own province has been destroyed as a competitive place. Those of your own fan base (Dublin) who enjoy competition are beginning to not show up, leaving attendance to those who enjoy seeing regular drubbings.
    Can you enjoy Leinster final after final that is a walkover of 10 to 15 points?
    I sincerely hope it never happens in my province anyhow, if it does I will be the first to admit there is a problem somewhere and I won't be trawling back 30 years or more to excuse it.

Last time I checked, in Kerry winning 21 out of 27 Munster Championships from 1960 to 1986, the time of superiority lasted 27 years, but maybe I miscounted. Makes 10 years look like a doddle.

Again, to use the example from my last post, the fantastic All-Ireland semi-final of 1979 between Kerry and Monaghan attracted the fantastic crowd of 32,254. And football recovered from that, even in Monaghan.

Why do I go back 30 years? Because there is only one era that can compare to the current one.

Last time I checked, in Kerry winning 21 out of 27 Munster Championships from 1960 to 1986, the time of superiority lasted 27 years, but maybe I miscounted. Makes 10 years look like a doddle.

Again, to use the example from my last post, the fantastic All-Ireland semi-final of 1979 between Kerry and Monaghan attracted the fantastic crowd of 32,254. And football recovered from that, even in Monaghan.

Why do I go back 30 years? Because there is only one era that can compare to the current one.

If you need to be educated on why Kerry win so often in a province where there is really only 2 contenders then I give up with you. The other 5 counties also happen to be the main hurling teams of the country.
    There is no comparison to what football in Leinster was.

Kerry where good because of talent. Dublin are and always were a good side but have become a super team that is professional because of money and resources.

That is a unique situation for the game of GAA football. No amount of 'look over there, or 'look back there' excusing, will change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

If you need to be educated on why Kerry win so often in a province where there is really only 2 contenders then I give up with you. The other 5 counties also happen to be the main hurling teams of the country.
    There is no comparison to what football in Leinster was.

Kerry where good because of talent. Dublin are and always were a good side but have become a super team that is professional because of money and resources.

That is a unique situation for the game of GAA football. No amount of 'look over there, or 'look back there' excusing, will change that.

Kerry had support from the likes of Adidas and Bendix back in the 80s.

Not knocking them for it but Dublin hardly alone in financial support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The Leinster final has been won by 18 points in 2018, 9 points in 2017, 15 points in 2016, 13 points in 2015, 16 points in 2012.

And you think there is a problem with 'northern football'???

Could you maybe stop with the 'defensive' bluster and approach the problem with some credible comment?
    The same team that went beyond Leinster and beat all.

Kildare didn't disgrace themselves this year. They were competitive and held their own beat Mayo and hockied Fermanagh.

Describing Dublin as a cancer on the game is laughable. The only cancer on the game in the last 10 years has been the defensive negative football adopted by northern teams. It took the dubs to show how it's dismantled by getting ahead and playing the ball around them and still these teams couldn't change their game plan.

The other cancer in football was the cynical pulling down and rugby tackles by northern teams. The black card had to be brought in as a direct result.

Negative puke football Spillane called it.

You were given plenty of credible comments. The truth is you are frustrated by your own Monaghan teams not being able to close out matches.

You keep on whinging. We'll keep on winning.

The same team that went beyond Leinster and beat all.

Kildare didn't disgrace themselves this year. They were competitive and held their own beat Mayo and hockied Fermanagh.

Describing Dublin as a cancer on the game is laughable. The only cancer on the game in the last 10 years has been the defensive negative football adopted by northern teams. It took the dubs to show how it's dismantled by getting ahead and playing the ball around them and still these teams couldn't change their game plan.

The other cancer in football was the cynical pulling down and rugby tackles by northern teams. The black card had to be brought in as a direct result.

Negative puke football Spillane called it.

You were given plenty of credible comments. The truth is you are frustrated by your own Monaghan teams not being able to close out matches.

You keep on whinging. We'll keep on winning.

So explain why Leinster is an uncompetitive snooze fest without any 'northern teams' involved please.

You just wittered on for longer about a province that is hugely competitive. yawn.

*BTW Monaghan got further than they ever have in 30 years this year. Losing by a point to a team from that very competitive province.
    I'll take that any day, than see final after final being won by 10 points and more.
    Even your fans are beginning to stay away. And they are most likely the genuine fan not the band wagoners who would naturally love to see boring drubbings and wins at any costs.

• Advertisement

So explain why Leinster is an uncompetitive snooze fest without any 'northern teams' involved please.

You just wittered on for longer about a province that is hugely competitive. yawn.

*BTW Monaghan got further than they ever have in 30 years this year. Losing by a point to a team from that very competitive province.
    I'll take that any day, than see final after final being won by 10 points and more.
    Even your fans are beginning to stay away. And they are most likely the genuine fan not the band wagoners who would naturally love to see boring drubbings and wins at any costs.

No you wouldn't

Oh, the Mayo mantle has passed to Monaghan, claiming to enjoy losing more than winning.

Oh, the Mayo mantle has passed to Monaghan, claiming to enjoy losing more than winning.

2 games in one day. The young lads had Kerry by the gonads and they fluffed it. The management stood by on the sidelines and let it happen. Clueless.

The seniors were no better. Underachievers.

You'd think they'd be hiding instead of pontificating about football as if they know what they are talking about. No shame. :)

I enjoy honest progress.
    If Monaghan won Ulster for 10 years more or less on the trot and where handing out 10 point drubbings I would not enjoy that. I am a 'football fan', I don't need the win or to be the 'GOAT'.
    I see we have another circle jerk thread on who would be able to play on the 'GOAT' team (did someone mention 'puke' :rolleyes:)

I don't enjoy a professional outfit hiding out in among what is supposed to be amateur football.

And that is what is 'happening in Dublin'. If you guys are so desparate to be seen as the GOAT and have the GOAT manager - compete on a level playing field, then we will see.

It's already happened Francie.

You are seeing it. You just don't like it.

Green eyed..........

It's already happened Francie.

You are seeing it. You just don't like it.

Green eyed..........

I don't want to see football destroyed. Whether it be by a Monaghan or Dublin team.

You seem to want success at any price, fair enough. Don't come on here whinging about the state of the game then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

This thread has descended into a tit for tat bickering and meandered off any substantive discussion of the two contests.

The two semi finals are now past history so I am closing these match thread(s).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement