Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Jazz Fest 2018 Tips

Options
  • 09-08-2018 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there!

Myself and a group of 5 girls (in our mid/late twenties) are heading down to the jazz fest this October for the first time. Does anyone have any tips on where to go or what to do as I’m really excited to go and want to get the most out of our trip !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unless you are going to ticketed events, don't expect too much jazz.
    Music, yes. Jazz, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ahlee

Hey there, yep hence why I asked. Thanks for that ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plenty jazz, no need to go to the ticketed events, just get a hold of a programme leaflet and pick the venues/bands you want to go to. Prepare for some crowded pubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ahlee

Plenty jazz, no need to go to the ticketed events, just get a hold of a programme leaflet and pick the venues/bands you want to go to. Prepare for some crowded pubs though.

Oh perfect, thanks so much for getting back to me :) besides the bands we want to see ourselves, are there any particular pubs that people tend to hit down there? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ahlee wrote: »
    Oh perfect, thanks so much for getting back to me :) besides the bands we want to see ourselves, are there any particular pubs that people tend to hit down there? Cheers!

Fwiw feel free to go to a ticketed gig, I only went to one ticketed event in 5 years. Think moving from place to place is better craic with a gang.
    There's probably too many venues to list, depends on where they are and what time of day or night as to how lively they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The Metropole and Imperial hotels are always worth sticking a nose in late once the ticketed events are over, Woodford is normally good, The New York Brass Band normally play there and I've always enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Ahlee wrote: »
    Hi there!

Myself and a group of 5 girls (in our mid/late twenties) are heading down to the jazz fest this October for the first time. Does anyone have any tips on where to go or what to do as I’m really excited to go and want to get the most out of our trip !

It's a great weekend - brilliant atmosphere around town, everyone in good form. The metropole is worth a visit during the day both on Saturday and Sunday from around 1:30ish. There's free jazz in there in lots of different rooms. There are also some jazz bands on the street, and an outdoor stage down by the Opera house. Most bars will have bands playing but they'll all be packed. You'll still find a spot in them though because people move around a lot from bar to bar. You'll have no hassle finding a good spot and ye'll definitely enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

But Best Jazz in town - paid for gigs - will always be at "The Everyman Palace Theatre" - next to the Metropole - try and catch at least one event there - as the venue, ambience, it's just electric - they have a few afternoon shows and nights Fri/Sat/Sun. Yep counting the days until that weekend. Also if you want "non-Jazz" Talos at Opera House (Brill) and some good stuff at Live at St. Lukes too - i.e. Wyvern Lingo on the Sat night - but everything I've just quoted - all paid for gigs. J :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Metropole does (or at least used to do) free gigs in the early afternoon. Well worth popping in if you can't (or don't want to get) tickets for the evening shows. It's Jazz Festival central.

Advertisement