Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good job, ****ty hours!

Options
  • 09-08-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Im working a job I really like and not that long, however its only a 20 hour contract and really need something more, I feel the realistic thing to do would be find something more full time as I’m used of a full time income so its hard to adjust, however at the same time I want to give it a chance as I really enjoy it and know it could turn into more hours over time, just curious would anywhere consider someone already on a 20 hour contact that isn’t fully flexible or how would you go about applying for such a position? If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations it would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

can you ask your job for more hours or improved contracted hours?

perhaps explain to your employer that you really like the job and would like to undertake more responsibilities if possible and increases your working hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Stanford

Does your current job specify the 20 hours or are you hanging around from week to week to be told which 20 hours you will be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I made It clear at the time of applying that I was happy with the amount of hours as thats what they were looking for but also outlined that the more hours the better.. I don't want to seem greedy as there is people there longer than me who are experiencing the same issue, although whenever a position becomes available its immediately filled without any consideration of other staff,.. theres such a large staff presents for such a small company that it's imposable to get additional hours.. and the hours vary weekly

This could be a ploy to avoid giving anybody more than 20 hours, if you don't know what the timing of your hours are going to be from week to week then you are effectively working 40 hours and being paid for only 20 if you don't have the extra hours to do with as you please, is this the case?

Stanford wrote: »
    This could be a ploy to avoid giving anybody more than 20 hours, if you don't know what the timing of your hours are going to be from week to week then you are effectively working 40 hours and being paid for only 20 if you don't have the extra hours to do with as you please, is this the case?

Well we are notified the previous week!

• Advertisement

Exactly my point, if you are given your hours a week in advance and assuming they change most weeks then you cannot do anything with the other 20 hours available to you during which you could work elsewhere, you are effectively "on call" from week to week so you cannot plan next week until you are told this week what your hours are going to be next week, if this the case?

Stanford wrote: »
    Exactly my point, if you are given your hours a week in advance and assuming they change most weeks then you cannot do anything with the other 20 hours available to you during which you could work elsewhere, you are effectively "on call" from week to week so you cannot plan next week until you are told this week what your hours are going to be next week, if this the case?

Yes

Given that you say vacancies are not filled from people already on staff with hours to spare we advice would be to approach your employer as suggested above and ask for more hours and for you to make a greater contribution to the firm, however my guess is that your employer may not be amenabe to this.

Perhaps you should start looking around quietly for a full time role as a new employer will expect you be able to work a full week?

Advertisement