Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acquiring a convenience store

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

How are people in a rural area who just want to get their groceries somehow "dumb"? When you're running a business like a convience store down the country it is truly a community based business which is focused on providing a service to people in the local area who wouldn't otherwise have that service.

Don't get me wrong a business is focused on driving a profit but most people who buys go into these types of shops are not dumb. They just want to get their everyday essientals such as milk, newspapers and bread and maybe a small treat also such as a bottle of wine, an ice cream, sweets for the kids or a lotto ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have friend who runs a small forecourt and convenience store. It was a family store and in his family 50 odd years. Only for the fact it was left to him he wouldn’t have taken the role on.
    His store is rural enough and busy enough but still his take from the profits would be small enough.
    He takes a wage and the rest goes back into the business and he certainly doesn’t live a lavish lifestyle from what he earns.

It can be a pain in the arse to be honest, no clocking out and just going home he is on call 24-7 365 days a year ..staff issues seem to be a big issue.
    HR issues are a mine field and current employment laws chop and change regularly.
    The big food companies have taken over a lot of smaller companies so now he has to stick to a minimum cost on any order...that’s a pain for smaller shops.
    You also have to pay into what ever brand you choose.

While he isn’t on the breadline it is a struggle and does take a lot of hard work and commitment and keep in mind he has been in this game since he was 16 he is now 50. His dad did make him do a business degree before he took over the family business.

So OP as you can see it’s a very hard Business model to get into and if you do find an empty retail unit you might want to use. Just ask yourself the question why it closed previously.
    You are going to need significant capital to make it work..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

"I'm amazed at how two faced good business men can be" is what you'd actually say if you saw me in action.

Now if you want to act smart, go bugger off elsewhere, cretin! This ruthless business man has got better things to do!

With your kind of attitude and those comments your time here will be very short lived if you keep it up..you were already warned by a mod - red card for ignoring it, next time it will be a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

No one notice the last syllable of the users name?

Clearly on the wind up from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

the_syco wrote: »

Finally, what will you do when you get robbed? You're down the country, and the rent will be cheap as there's no Garda station nearby, so when you get robbed, it be be a good hour before the cops show up.

It doesn't matter how quickly the cops get there. The bad guys are almost always already gone.

My advice is simple. I'm sure I've said it before.

If you're not a retailer, don't get into retail.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

I was just after reading about how Michael O'Leary made huge profits with several retail stores before he went into Ryanair.

Advertisement