Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I read on the Journal that Breed colleagues in FG are calling upon him to resign. Looks like FG may have bounced itself into an election. Wonder how the 10 point lead will hold up with the people that get up early in the morning seeing as FG shafted them in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I read on the Journal that Breed colleagues in FG are calling upon him to resign. Looks like FG may have bounced itself into an election. Wonder how the 10 point lead will hold up with the people that get up early in the morning seeing as FG shafted them in the budget.

Yeah could be interesting, where would you see the votes going? Indies maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Edward M wrote: »
    FF guaranteed to support this budget as part of the c&s agreement, can't see them breaking that, they'd then be seen as the catalyst, just can't see them giving that card to FG to throw at them in a campaign.

The agreement is to abstain, not vote for it.

christy c wrote:
    Yeah could be interesting, where would you see the votes going? Indies maybe?

I think the Indies will lose out to be honest. Naughten is an indie as is Ross .
    FF increase their numbers , FG the same. Despite their protest's FF or FG will either have to merge or one of them go in with SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd like to see the SD's make a solid go.

• Advertisement

I think the Indies will lose out to be honest. Naughten is an indie as is Ross .
    FF increase their numbers , FG the same. Despite their protest's FF or FG will either have to merge or one of them go in with SF.

Could well be right. Can't see SF going in yet but also can't see a merger, who knows.

christy c wrote:
    Could well be right. Can't see SF going in yet but also can't see a merger, who knows.

MaryLou is open to the idea or at least it was reported that she and SF have dropped the notion of entering government only if they are the largest party.

MaryLou is open to the idea or at least it was reported that she and SF have dropped the notion of entering government only if they are the largest party.

I know, they did pass something at their Ard Fheis about that but I'd be shocked if they did. Think they're comfortable enough in opposition for at least another term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Naughten suddenly remembering that he met him 4 times means that Leo was right to sack him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Naughten suddenly remembering that he met him 4 times means that Leo was right to sack him.

He resigned. Leo and Coveney had 'full confidence'.
    Should have gotten the elbow after his INM/celtic Media phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The people that get up early in the morning have nobody else to vote for as the opposition all claimed that FG didn't do enough for the people who stay at home all day, whether it was social welfare, housing or health issues, the opposition have been whinging for more.

blanch152 wrote:
    The people that get up early in the morning have nobody else to vote for as the opposition all claimed that FG didn't do enough for the people who stay at home all day, whether it was social welfare, housing or health issues, the opposition have been whinging for more.

So even when FG are in government it's someone else's fault. I read your synopsis about the budget, again it was entirely the opposition who were at fault for what it contained or mores to the point of what it didn't contain. Might I ask is there anything that FG that can actually be held up as solely the responsibility of FG? You seem to think they are not in government.

All three big parties will gain a few seats as Naughten shows that independents can't be trusted either. The independents biggest card was that they weren't corrupt like the big parties.

So FG up, FF up, SF up.

The key question is whether FF and SF do the deal. Other than Martin, every other FF senior politician would do that deal in a second.

Can't see FG having enough seats to stop a SF/FF coalition.

blanch152 wrote:
    All three big parties will gain a few seats as Naughten shows that independents can't be trusted either. The independents biggest card was that they weren't corrupt like the big parties.

Naughten is FG, independent in name only. The hospital issue was put to bed, other than his dishonesty and incompetence he would be running for FG at the next GE and may still yet. I live close to Roscommon town. He was protest this as a witch hunt
    blanch152 wrote:
    The key question is whether FF and SF do the deal. Other than Martin, every other FF senior politician would do that deal in a second.
    Well either FF go in with SF or FF and FG stop pretending and merge.
    At the moment we have FF and FG in government with FF the lead opposition at the same time. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It'll be madness for Varadkar, and he knows it well, to call an election at this point in the Brexit talks. It won't happen voluntarily. FF won't want one at the moment either.

* He will protray his resignation as the result of a witch hunt.

So even when FG are in government it's someone else's fault. I read your synopsis about the budget, again it was entirely the opposition who were at fault for what it contained or mores to the point of what it didn't contain. Might I ask is there anything that FG that can actually be held up as solely the responsibility of FG? You seem to think they are not in government.

FG should have stood up to Shane Ross on carbon taxes, to FF on welfare increases and to the baying mob on housing issues.

They had the right ideas on all three, but not the balls to stand up. I blame them for that. Any chance there was of me voting for FG in the next election was lost on the carbon tax issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rte paving the way for Fitzgerald’s return tonight... Discussting!

christy c wrote: »
    I wonder is there any chance of Renua making a bit of a gain? Maybe not, but every other party seems to be fighting over how much they can give to those who contribute least. You'd have to think there might be an opening for a centre right party.

If Freeman ran for them, they might get a seat, otherwise none.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Rte paving the way for Fitzgerald’s return tonight... Discussting!

What's it got to RTE? There's nothing stopping her return to cabinet, and it has nothing to do with RTE.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote:
    They had the right ideas on all three, but not the balls to stand up. I blame them for that. Any chance there was of me voting for FG in the next election was lost on the carbon tax issue.

Carbon tax. Outside of Dublin the majority of people next to provide their own transport as public transport is inadequate. Charging an extra 10 euro per tonne would not change any behaviour other than making it more expensive to commute to work. I will believe carbon tax is a genuine attempt at changing behaviour when I see carbon levies placed on the national herd.
    You still no matter their behaviour give FG a free pass.

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's it got to RTE? There's nothing stopping her return to cabinet, and it has nothing to do with RTE.

I wouldn’t have her back.

Hurrache wrote:

She misled the Dail and Leo. Or is that being conveniently forgotten?

Carbon tax. Outside of Dublin the majority of people next to provide their own transport as public transport is inadequate. Charging an extra 10 euro per tonne would not change any behaviour other than making it more expensive to commute to work. I will believe carbon tax is a genuine attempt at changing behaviour when I see carbon levies placed on the national herd.
    You still no matter their behaviour give FG a free pass.

How am I giving FG a free pass, when I won't vote for them for not increasing carbon tax?

People shouldn't be living in rural areas unless they can afford the extra costs, including the much needed carbon taxes.

blanch152 wrote:
    How am I giving FG a free pass, when I won't vote for them for not increasing carbon tax?

It's the opposition's fault that FG delivered the budget we saw on Tuesday
    blanch152 wrote:
    People shouldn't be living in rural areas unless they can afford the extra costs, including the much needed carbon taxes.

If only everyone could afford to live/ or find a home in Dublin. Why didn't I think of that.
    Whats wrong with placing a levy on agriculture for Carbon emissions. I'm sure you are aware the percentage that this sector contributes to our emissions yet noone especially politicians wishes to address it.

She misled the Dail and Leo. Or is that being conveniently forgotten?

Still nothing to do with RTE.

And the other side of the optics is that today's report gave her a clean bill of health.

Hurrache wrote:
    I never said it did.
    Hurrache wrote:
    And the other side of the optics is that today's report gave her a clean bill of health.

The report didn't deal with her misleading the Dail or Leo, it wasn't part of the remit.

It's the opposition's fault that FG delivered the budget we saw on Tuesday

If only everyone could afford to live/ or find a home in Dublin. Why didn't I think of that.
    Whats wrong with placing a levy on agriculture for Carbon emissions. I'm sure you are aware the percentage that this sector contributes to our emissions yet noone especially politicians wishes to address it.

No issue with more taxation on agriculture for carbon emissions.

However, food is essential, private transport for people living on top of mountains is not. So more taxation on petrol and diesel.

Hurrache wrote: »

RTÉ shouldn’t be a mouthpiece for Leo and fg. Tonights RTÉ news was disgraceful.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote:
    However, food is essential, private transport for people living on top of mountains is not. So more taxation on petrol and diesel.

'Living on top of mountains' what a dismissive childish reply. Goodnight.

Advertisement