Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is that scandalous or not?
    If 100,000 people work for the HSE (70,000 directly and 35,000 funded by the HSE but another name on the paycheck) is a €11 each -fine for the extended support or an unimaginable ripoff (I genuinely don't know by the way).
    That IT support contract is pretty standard and a good price. Large bodies can spend many multiples of that in support and licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Having said that, 1 million people have immigrated to Ireland in the last 18 years and that is great if all these people are self starting and can look after themselves, but this has proved not to be the case in many circumstances.
    And they all need to be housed regardless putting huge pressure on social housing.

Our population in 2002 was 3,917,203 per the census (available on CSO.ie, I can't get a direct link because of the format).

Our population in 2016 was 4,761,865. Estimates in April 2019 put our population at 4,921,500.

Unless not a single person has been born in the last 18 years, or everyone of the people born here emigrated, I can't see how 1 million people have immigrated here. Where did you get that number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Peter Casey may well have underestimated the challenge of getting elected in Donegal - with FF already on two seats, FG and SF both chasing a second, and Pringle also seeking re-election, it'll be a dogfight in that constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Peter Casey may well have underestimated the challenge of getting elected in Donegal - with FF already on two seats, FG and SF both chasing a second, and Pringle also seeking re-election, it'll be a dogfight in that constituency.

Yes absolutely he hasn't a prayer IMO all the incumbents there are well established TD's and as you say two of the big boys pushing for an extra seat.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You can really never tell what voters will latch onto. I think their campaign needs to be more about what they will do better otherwise if they try to put in digs it will be "remember 2010".

Yeah I'm assuming it will be a FF build houses style campaign simple and to the point.

• Advertisement

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Yes absolutely he hasn't a prayer IMO all the incumbents there are well established TD's and as you say two of the big boys pushing for an extra seat.

Confirmed main runners and riders so far

Pat The Cope Gallagher and Charlie McConologue (FF)
    Joe McHugh and Cllr. Martin Harley(FG)
    Pearse Doherty and Pádraig MacLochlainn(SF)
    Thomas Pringle(Ind)
    Peter Casey(Ind)
    Michael White(Gr)

Yeah I'm assuming it will be a FF build houses style campaign simple and to the point.
    But can they stay on message?:D TDs and candidates do love a dig at opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Dytalus wrote: »
    Our population in 2002 was 3,917,203 per the census (available on CSO.ie, I can't get a direct link because of the format).

Our population in 2016 was 4,761,865. Estimates in April 2019 put our population at 4,921,500.

Unless not a single person has been born in the last 18 years, or everyone of the people born here emigrated, I can't see how 1 million people have immigrated here. Where did you get that number?

The correct figure is 1,410,000 immigrants in the last 18 years. Also, 985,000 emigrated from Ireland in the last 18 years. Just checked the figures.
    I assume the vast majority if not all of those 985,000 who left Ireland had some form of housing before they left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If FG's message is about what happened in 2010, it will run out of steam in 24 hours of election start.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Water John wrote: »
    If FG's message is about what happened in 2010, it will run out of steam in 24 hours of election start.

Well FFs is about what happenned in 1972 with their anti SF rantings

• Advertisement

Oldira wrote: »
    Well FFs is about what happenned in 1972 with their anti SF rantings

All for show they'll jump into bed with each other as quick as a flash if the numbers are right as would FG make no mistake.

I think it's going to revolve around things they've "done well" so expect Brexit and NI Assembly restoration to figure there in a big way. They know they can get kudos on both of them.
    They'll also throw in the economy and better finances as any such incumbent would do and that's where what they "inherited" from FF reminder drops into conversation. They are vulnerable on homelessness and housing but not on health IMO with a former (not great) MOH leading FF, who can be poked on what he did.

The two key topics, apart from health, which as you say, is always with us, are housing and climate.
    Sadly for FG they get zero points on both.
    FG will lose seats, it's a question, will FF overtake them? All the rest are, support acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Insurance costs are a massive issue with people in my circle. Leo's inaction when the Bailey scamdal broke has cost FG at least 2 votes I know personally anyway.

In our locality IND TD Michael Harty is not seeking re-election in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

FF will win the largest amount of seats for sure.
    The swing traditional two-party voters have had enough of FG - insurance/compo claims, housing/rents and the woeful handling of NCH and to a lesser extent the NBP will ensure that.
    SF - very hard to say if they remain stagnant or lose a heap of seats.
    I expect Labour to gain a few - their traditional wilderness period is mostly over though I think seeing Howlin out and about will reduce what they could have gained with A.N. Other leading.
    Greens should gain a few - I don't think they will get beyond 6.
    SD's are a busted flush, they'll return the same two and wither after that.
    Indos will do ok, the disparate far-left's biggest mouths will survive except maybe Paul Murphy

So, swapping main party and another supply and confidence govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The swing traditional two-party voters have had enough of FG - insurance/compo claims, housing/rents and the woeful handling of NCH and to a lesser extent the NBP will ensure that.
    I expect Labour to gain a few - their traditional wilderness period is mostly over though I think seeing Howlin out and about will reduce what they could have gained with A.N. Other leading.
    Indos will do ok, the disparate far-left's biggest mouths will survive except maybe Paul Murphy

Oh sweet Lord!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So will it be Wednesday or Thursday that Leo goes to the Aras? I think Thursday myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Wouldn't be so sure. FG might of done nothing but FF bankrupt the country

The two key topics, apart from health, which as you say, is always with us, are housing and climate.
    Sadly for FG they get zero points on both.
    FG will lose seats, it's a question, will FF overtake them? All the rest are, support acts.

FF backed them up

If FF won't go into Govn't with SF then the model of the last five years is the only governing model available, unless FF + LB +SC+ Greens, a multi party coalition, get over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How much longer is that going to fly for now? I mean FG have been in government for 9 years now they have to take ownership of some of the countries problems.

Yup their constant blaming of FF riles me. Rene Rene as them blaming them for crowded northern commuter lines. You had 8 years to buy trains and didnt need to put a Muppet in charge of transport.

Over 20 percent increase in spending, on what exactly?

Yup their constant blaming of FF riles me. Rene Rene as them blaming them for crowded northern commuter lines. You had 8 years to buy trains and didnt need to put a Muppet in charge of transport.

Over 20 percent increase in spending, on what exactly?

All governments over the last 30 years are responsible for that. None tackled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

All governments over the last 30 years are responsible for that. None tackled it

Including this one, they seem to think they can wash their hands of it.

Including this one, they seem to think they can wash their hands of it.

That's what "all" means. So FG / FF are not the answer. But either are lab or sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

People have the shortest memories. We're only out of the bailout 7 years and only a couple of years out of running deficits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

FF backed them up

They weren't in coalition with FG officially but I'm curious to see how that line is used other opposition parties when FF start going after FG during the campaign ?

Phoebas wrote: »
    People have the shortest memories. We're only out of the bailout 7 years and only a couple of years out of running deficits.
    That may be true but will the voters buy that point when it's put to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'll be voting for Fine Gael because Fianna Fail are corrupt to the very bone and are nothing but a lying shower of gangsters. Fianna Fail bankrupted Ireland deliberately to bail out their corrupt Property Developers and landlord classes. I don't care how bad things are now or whatever but I would never ever vote for Fianna Fail over what they did because I am not a stupid idiot and I remember the past and I also know that a leopard never changes its spots. Fianna Fail are still the same lying corrupt shower of low life tramps that they were 10 years ago.

theguzman wrote: »
    I'll be voting for Fine Gael because Fianna Fail are corrupt to the very bone and are nothing but a lying shower of gangsters. Fianna Fail bankrupted Ireland deliberately to bail out their corrupt Property Developers and landlord classes. I don't care how bad things are now or whatever but I would never ever vote for Fianna Fail over what they did because I am not a stupid idiot and I remember the past and I also know that a leopard never changes its spots. Fianna Fail are still the same lying corrupt shower of low life tramps that they were 10 years ago.

Tell us how you really feel caller. I feel like you're sugar coating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That may be true but will the voters buy that point when it's put to them.
    I think FG will be pushing the point that we're on the right trajectory even if major problems remain .

They're in danger of alienating people if the push the 'FF destroyed the country' line too hard, but at the end of the day most people vote thinking about what's in their own economic best interest and FG do have a strong story on that front.

It'll all come down to how much FF are forgiven.

Advertisement