Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing from South Africa...anyone got experience?

• 09-08-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I've been looking for a sound & sensible tidy up project for a while now - specifically a T3 Syncro (a bit of a hens tooth I know)

recently I've spread my searches further afield mainly Capetown area seems that T3's were popular enough out there and at least viewing online seem to be in generally good condition. There is some info out there about UK import from SA & I know there are plenty of agents who will relieve you of 2-5k for the process...but I'd be personally up for taking a flight to Capetown to secure a good T3 Syncro...it's the getting it home part I'm wary & inexperienced of.

I wondered if anyone has ever taken in a van from SA and could give me a shout please?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

martco wrote: »
    I've been looking for a sound & sensible tidy up project for a while now - specifically a T3 Syncro (a bit of a hens tooth I know)

recently I've spread my searches further afield mainly Capetown area seems that T3's were popular enough out there and at least viewing online seem to be in generally good condition. There is some info out there about UK import from SA & I know there are plenty of agents who will relieve you of 2-5k for the process...but I'd be personally up for taking a flight to Capetown to secure a good T3 Syncro...it's the getting it home part I'm wary & inexperienced of.

I wondered if anyone has ever taken in a van from SA and could give me a shout please?

ta
    I would be more worried about breaking down and looking for hens teeth spares a guy here on boards had to abandon his t3 syncro at a garage in France due to the difficulty sourcing spates and the cost of repatriation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

10 years ago a guy in the UK only charged me £500 for an import service on a toyota camper from Japan, it's be a similar process.

He sent me list of campers at auctions and I did my own leg work too.
    I found the camper on a Jap auction site, he got it checked out so that we knew it was a camper inside.
    He bid on it for me, we won. His agents took lots of photos inside after the auction. They arranged shipping to Ireland. I had to get a customs clearance agent in Dublin to talk to customs and the port, cost abut €150.

I'd to pay, import duty on the landed cost of the camper. Then VAT on the landed cost + the duty, the go to the VRT and get ripped off.

Still all in all I still have the camper. It's a high top with part time 4WD automatic gear box with High Low ration as well but no diff lock. Needs a respray by now though, it's a 1991. I learned a lot doing and I'd still use an agent who knows the ins and outs of it.

Advertisement