Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If you can afford to I would consider buying it up front if you can. Mine cost 800 with three prepay preorder deal and I am paying €20 a month to top up. Over 2 years would work out at 1280. I haven't looked but I'd assume it can be got sim free for around €800 if not cheaper these days, particularly with the S10 out soon.

The 6GB/128GB is on eglobal for €692.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The 6GB/128GB is on eglobal for €692.

You can get new ones from shops in Dublin (with receipts and good feedback) for about €650 upwards on adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

New update to Bixby allows you to set the button to open an alternative app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Bought a brand new dual sim version on adverts for 650 a few days ago. Mad to pay the premium to the phone companies if you can afford to buy it sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

New update to Bixby allows you to set the button to open an alternative app.

Has this update been released yet? Don't see it available for me as yet.
    Cheers:)

• Advertisement

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Has this update been released yet? Don't see it available for me as yet.
    Cheers:)

Yes, if you open Bixby it should tell you an update is available. Update then you can set the button to open an app of your choice.

Yes, if you open Bixby it should tell you an update is available. Update then you can set the button to open an app of your choice.

Yep, have this option now on my S9+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep, have this option now on my S9+

Just remapped mine.... thank the Lord! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

My note 9 just stopped charging overnight, tried several USB 3 power cables, no joy.

On Saturday I got a random warning "do not charge while the cable socket was wet", even though it could not of gotten wet.

Now it seems to be dead, only purchased the phone last December from phonesonline ie, how do I go about organise a Sammy repair anybody know?

Thanks

Stuxnet wrote: »
    My note 9 just stopped charging overnight, tried several USB 3 power cables, no joy.

On Saturday I got a random warning "do not charge while the cable socket was wet", even though it could not of gotten wet.

Now it seems to be dead, only purchased the phone last December from phonesonline ie, how do I go about organise a Sammy repair anybody know?

Thanks

You would usually go back to the retailer that you purchased from and let them handle it.

That said, I've had a Samsung Gear S2 that developed a fault, and I contacted Samsung directly through their live chat to arrange getting it fixed under warranty.

https://www.samsung.com/ie/info/contactus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Basil3 wrote: »
    You would usually go back to the retailer that you purchased from and let them handle it.

That said, I've had a Samsung Gear S2 that developed a fault, and I contacted Samsung directly through their live chat to arrange getting it fixed under warranty.

https://www.samsung.com/ie/info/contactus/

Cheers Pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hey guys just looking at getting a note 9 my two options are a shop in Dublin with receipt but phone will probably be blacklisted in other countries or buy off Amazon Germany for similar price. Would there be much of a chance of getting a blacklisted phone on Amazon???

The Dublin method doesnt bother me too much I've bought my last two phones from it-fix but if I can get a legit one from amazon for similar price thats not blacklisted I'd go that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

If you have an eligible phone to trade in, you can get it off the Samsung UK store for £449 or less.

Ended up going back to shop I bought my last 2 phones from. Got the duos model plus Spiegel case, screen protector and wireless charger for 630 euro.

Pretty impressed with it so far it feels great in hand I like the more square edges in comparison to my s8 plus. Really liking Samsung's one interface and messing around with s pen. Also the fingerprint sensor is very much more usable and quicker then my old phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ended up going back to shop I bought my last 2 phones from. Got the duos model plus Spiegel case, screen protector and wireless charger for 630 euro

What shop as a matter of interest for that deal?

What shop as a matter of interest for that deal?

It-fix on capel street as I say I've bought my previous s7 edge and s8 plus off them so I went back and did a bit if bargaining.

I've never had an issue with them they changed my s7 edge when a problem arose so felt more relaxed going back to them then going somewhere else.

It-fix on capel street as I say I've bought my previous s7 edge and s8 plus off them so I went back and did a bit if bargaining.

I've never had an issue with them they changed my s7 edge when a problem arose so felt more relaxed going back to them then going somewhere else.

Did you trade in the s8+? How much was the difference?

I have an s9+ that I'm thinking about swapping for the Note. The camera cut out on the S10 range are doing nothing for me

Did you trade in the s8+? How much was the difference?

I have an s9+ that I'm thinking about swapping for the Note. The camera cut out on the S10 range are doing nothing for me

No I didn't I still have the s8 as the screen is cracked in it.

I had a mess around with s10 plus and to be honest I don't like the camera hole either. I know you can use a dark theme that has the notifications bar along there but I just don't like how it stands out when watching videos or pictures.

I really love the feel if the note it feels just more solid

I can get a black one new on the Samsung IE site for €439 with trade-in. It's very tempting.

Anyone bought a phone direct in this manner? My S9+ is in excellent condition with only a few light scratches near the top of the screen (not visible unless you go looking). How picky are Samsung does anyone know?

Fairly sizeable (480MB) update available, with improved camera performance and security updates.

• Advertisement

Fairly sizeable (480MB) update available, with improved camera performance and security updates.

What network? I'm with three and it says I'm up to date with March patch.

I'm on 3. Bought directly through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I'm on unlocked phone purchased from Samsung UK.
    This update also enabled wifi calling on my phone.

Same here my April patch enabled WiFi calling. Mines a duos so I guess it's Samsung firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Im with three but on a dual sim unlocked one, still on feb patch?

phill106 wrote: »
    Im with three but on a dual sim unlocked one, still on feb patch?

I had to manual search for update on mine but was there.

I had to manual search for update on mine but was there.

Weird just checked again and still nothing. I'll try odin maybe tomorrow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am on eir (SIM free device from HN) and no update here?

I believe my phone is a UAE phone, if i download the 3ie firmware from samsing
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-note9/SM-N960F/3IE/download/N960FXXS2CSBA/263107/
    and install it using odin on the steps listed, will that be ok, any issues i should be aware about?
    long time since i have flashed phones...
    This wont root it, as it is stock firmware?

Oh possibly relevant info, dual sim, one sim has three ireland, other one vodafone ireland

• Advertisement

Just for anyone else wondering, I did flash the phone with the 3 firmware, phone is now updated and both sims working grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭BlackMask93

Hopefully in the near future when the Note 9 is on Android Q, these long slow monthly update waiting times will stop with Project Mainline.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/7/18530599/google-android-q-features-hands-on-dark-mode-gestures-accessibility-io-2019

Im still waiting on April and May Security Updates for my Note 9 and im on Three :/

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    Im still waiting on April and May Security Updates for my Note 9 and im on Three :/

Likewise. :confused:

Likewise. :confused:

Same, thought i was doing well to get march, had been stuck on February till i flashed it..

Think this the first time I've ever had a Samsung that I don't want to root it or put different firmware on it Really really enjoying the experience one or whatever they call it and secure folder is excellent. I could never use that before because was always rooted.

Im not a big user of the s pen apart from messing about with photos but it's really handy for them im sure they are loads more use for it. Anyway so far loving the note. I did end up getting another spigen case as I didn't like the one they gave me so I got a nice fitting neo hybrid it feels really tight on it not like the other one that was loose.

20190509-085547.jpg

April security update rolled out to me on Three this morning.

• Advertisement

April security update rolled out to me on Three this morning.

Cheers, just checked and got the OTA update

Anyone notice wifi calling just showed up after the update?
    Swipe down to get all the settings, and it is all the way over on the right.
    I have it enabled now, must test it in a bad coverage area.

phill106 wrote:
    Anyone notice wifi calling just showed up after the update? Swipe down to get all the settings, and it is all the way over on the right. I have it enabled now, must test it in a bad coverage area.

On what network? I don't have it on three.

Should do if your phones been updated its on all networks.

On three, I'll check in work tomorrow a call in a no coverage but good wifi area

• Advertisement

I am also on three, cannot seem to find it anywhere that can enable it

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    I am also on three, cannot seem to find it anywhere that can enable it

Seemed to show up day after the update, some info in pics

I'm on 3 and dont hace WiFi calling after the update (although i can find the app if i search for it).

AFAIK its network dependent, and 3 don't offer it anyway.

I'm on 3 and dont hace WiFi calling after the update (although i can find the app if i search for it).

AFAIK its network dependent, and 3 don't offer it anyway.

They do in the uk anyway...
    So i tested it in an area with no bars, and i was able to make a call. Now i should have tried a few more calls, with the setting on and off, but didnt get to.

I didnt see the logos mentioned however
    http://www.three.co.uk/discover/Three_inTouch/android-wifi-calling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This has appeared on mine - Vodafone PAYG

Wifi calling and VoLTE

Tweeted to Three Ireland, they do not have any plans to introduce it at the moment ðŸ˜

So, for those of you who've had a Note 9 for a while.. would you still buy one today?

No interest in the S10 range as I've said previously (camera cut out does nothing for me and I prefer the FP scanner on the back), and seeing as the Note 10 looks to be going the same way I'm sitting here thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Dual-Sim Note 9 for €540 (justifying to myself that I'll part-fund it by then selling my S9+) :)

Still worth it?

So, for those of you who've had a Note 9 for a while.. would you still buy one today?

No interest in the S10 range as I've said previously (camera cut out does nothing for me and I prefer the FP scanner on the back), and seeing as the Note 10 looks to be going the same way I'm sitting here thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Dual-Sim Note 9 for €540 (justifying to myself that I'll part-fund it by then selling my S9+) :)

Still worth it?

Still love it.....that said, will upgrade to the Note 10 the day it comes out

Still worth it?

I never owned a s9 plus I came from s8 plus which looks to be very similar the yours I'd definilty buy one again no regrets it feels so much better and even the small changes in shape feel better.

I also hate the notch in s10 thats why I went with note 9 it's probably going to be the last decent screen Samsung for a while also use the s pen a bit for Web browsing and messing about with photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You'd rather have the 75mm x 6mm 'notch' on the Note 9 than the much smaller 'notch' on the S10+?

• Advertisement
Advertisement