Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone here have experience with the Whitestone Dome? It's pricey but im tempeted to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

dan786 wrote: »
    I meant they charge shipping for North. But not for mainland. Shipping is expensive enough so I went with addresspal.

How did you enter your billing address on the UK site? There's no option for Ireland... My bank keeps declining the transaction and I think it's because I have to enter uk as country for billing address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Zenify wrote: »
    How did you enter your billing address on the UK site? There's no option for Ireland... My bank keeps declining the transaction and I think it's because I have to enter uk as country for billing address.

Used addresspal for billing too. I paid through paypal using a Revolut card. Best way of doing it as you are protected by Paypal if anything goes wrong in transit and Revolut give you a much better exchange rate than any of the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Im due an upgrade from my current supplier (Vodafone) and was assuming I would get the new Note9.
    My background is that I was one of the unfortunates who had the note7 and had to return it, so I got the S7 Edge instead and I got used to the smaller size and prefer it, so I thinking of waiting for the new S10 coming out next year, anybody also thinking of waiting for it?

Just bought one there on eglobal uk for 600gbp and used address pal for the first time. Really hoping this address pal works, it's a bit scary using a random address without having paid anything to them...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Bought my note 9 locally at HN but am curious (for other purchases), how are these so cheap and are the warranties still in place?

Google grey imports

Anybody switch the firmware with odin to the UK unlocked (BTU?). Or is it still a thing anyone even cares about anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I switched my firmware to VDI, for Vodafone Ireland, but that didn't automatically unlock the phone either. I still had to get an unlock code (actually I had to get a Master Unlock (MCK) code as there was additional security on the phone I got from Three.

Also, has anyone got the September update yet from any of the carriers? I'm still on the 1st August update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just bought one there on eglobal uk for 600gbp and used address pal for the first time. Really hoping this address pal works, it's a bit scary using a random address without having paid anything to them...

Hi. Just wondering if you got around to ordering your handset yet? I'm hoping to order one in a few days and wanted to find out if you circumvented eGlobals policy of not delivering to mail forwarding addresses. Did address pal work out ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Skittle wrote: »
    I switched my firmware to VDI, for Vodafone Ireland, but that didn't automatically unlock the phone either. I still had to get an unlock code (actually I had to get a Master Unlock (MCK) code as there was additional security on the phone I got from Three.

Also, has anyone got the September update yet from any of the carriers? I'm still on the 1st August update.

How did you do that?? I thought from the S9 onwards that you couldn't change the CSC succesfully unless you root the phone :confused:

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How did you do that?? I thought from the S9 onwards that you couldn't change the CSC succesfully unless you root the phone :confused:

I just used ODIN, to download the various firmware files. Uploaded the firmware and then booted the phone. The CSC was set to Germany (Vodafone image for Ireland is a copy of the German one), and I got a German startup, I just changed the language on the first screen and the setup completed in English. I was then getting a notification that the CSC had changed (I had an Irish Vodafone sim in), and I had to wipe and reset the phone twice, I think, and then the CSC stuck.

Sorry for the vagueness but it was over two weeks ago I did it.

I just used ODIN, to download the various firmware files. Uploaded the firmware and then booted the phone. The CSC was set to Germany (Vodafone image for Ireland is a copy of the German one), and I got a German startup, I just changed the language on the first screen and the setup completed in English. I was then getting a notification that the CSC had changed (I had an Irish Vodafone sim in), and I had to wipe and reset the phone twice, I think, and then the CSC stuck.

Sorry for the vagueness but it was over two weeks ago I did it.

Ah right, must be because it had Voda Germany that it changed so easy. If it was another CSC network it probably won't change so easily without rooting. I bought a S9+ from the UK that was a UK Vodafone phone. It actually automatically changed to VDI when i put the sim in.

Small update with September patch available for me now, mine is with Vodafone.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Small update with September patch available for me now, mine is with Vodafone.

Same on 3.

Wonder is it coming directly from Samsung?

I checked this morning and I've no patch waiting for me. I'm on Vodafone.

Just doing a bit of digging and it looks like even though i bought the phone from Vodafone, I seem to have the unbranded btu firmware. Pda and csc match what's listed on sammobile.

Hi. Just wondering if you got around to ordering your handset yet? I'm hoping to order one in a few days and wanted to find out if you circumvented eGlobals policy of not delivering to mail forwarding addresses. Did address pal work out ok?

I wasn't even aware of the policy.

It's in the hands of DPD. They tried to deliver it last night at 9pm and address pal were closed. The DPD tracking now says it will be delivered between 4.30 and 5.30 today. Anybody know their opening hours?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Just doing a bit of digging and it looks like even though i bought the phone from Vodafone, I seem to have the unbranded btu firmware. Pda and csc match what's listed on sammobile.

You should still get the update any day now regardless. My S9+ unbranded got it around the same time vodafone released their last update.

• Advertisement

You should still get the update any day now regardless. My S9+ unbranded got it around the same time vodafone released their last update.

I did get it today. But I had erroneously said earlier I had a Vodafone phone but looks like its actually unbranded.

You can get a one chance to change your CSC. My phone i got from eglobal was for the Singapore market (MM1). If you type *#272*IMIE# it gives you a menu of a load of CSC's from different countries to chose from. Not surprislingly Vodafone Ireland wasn't on the list so i set it to BTU ( Ireland/ UK sim free region) It does factory reset the phone so make sure it's backed up.

You can get a one chance to change your CSC. My phone i got from eglobal was for the Singapore market (MM1). If you type *#272*IMIE# it gives you a menu of a load of CSC's from different countries to chose from. Not surprislingly Vodafone Ireland wasn't on the list so i set it to BTU ( Ireland/ UK sim free region) It does factory reset the phone so make sure it's backed up.

What's the advantage to doing this?

Also to give people an update who were asking about eglobal with mail forwarding. My DPD tracking now says it was delivered to the address pal in UK. Haven't heard anything from address pal yet though.

What's the advantage to doing this?

Also to give people an update who were asking about eglobal with mail forwarding. My DPD tracking now says it was delivered to the address pal in UK. Haven't heard anything from address pal yet though.

It does benefit somewhat. Mine was set up for the Singapore market. I would get pointless adds from that area and sometimes my internet browser would open up on a Singapore mobile network site/ ad. Also there was more of a clutter of settings that won't work here and when someone called me their number would be one long string with no gaps/spaces.

Changing to BTU is for our region and the phone is totally clean and standard.

I checked this morning and I've no patch waiting for me. I'm on Vodafone.

Just a follow up, I got the September patch yesterday, and I'm on Vodafone.

Got the phone from eblobal UK and address pal yesterday. Changed the CSC code to BTU as other poster recommended and it's great. It came with a UK plug in the box and a 16gb memory card already inserted into the phone. I think the security seal was not the original one. Very happy so far with the phone though.

16gb card in a 128gb phone. You got a deal there.

Got the phone from eblobal UK and address pal yesterday. Changed the CSC code to BTU as other poster recommended and it's great. It came with a UK plug in the box and a 16gb memory card already inserted into the phone. I think the security seal was not the original one. Very happy so far with the phone though.

What was the original CSC? If the phone came from a different region say Asia the phone won't work here unless a 5 min call with an Asian sim card has been made to unlock it. So that's why it has been opened and resealed.

What was the original CSC? If the phone came from a different region say Asia the phone won't work here unless a 5 min call with an Asian sim card has been made to unlock it. So that's why it has been opened and resealed.

It was a Singapore CSC so you're probably right.

• Advertisement

It was a Singapore CSC so you're probably right.

My Note 9 was Singapore also and resealed., it's a lot better now on BTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Did any of ye who bought from eGlobal go for n9600 snapdragon model?? if so how do ye find it??

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Anyone else break their screen yet. I broke my screen the day after it was released and haven't been able to get it repaired anywhere. Anyone know anywhere that will fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Anyone else break their screen yet. I broke my screen the day after it was released and haven't been able to get it repaired anywhere. Anyone know anywhere that will fix it?

Fonfix in Sandyford, South Dublin, is the official repair centre, I think. They at least used to be. :)
    I think the screens on these generation phones are mindbogglingly expensive to replace screens on, around 300 euros. Those little mobile stores you see everywhere often do it at half price, but it's not going to be a brand new display you'll get.

Fonfix in Sandyford, South Dublin, is the official repair centre, I think. They at least used to be. :)
    I think the screens on these generation phones are mindbogglingly expensive to replace screens on, around 300 euros. Those little mobile stores you see everywhere often do it at half price, but it's not going to be a brand new display you'll get.

I was on to them, they say they don't have parts yet. yes they have warned me it will be about €300 - €400...... I wouldn't go near any of the small shops in this case as I would want to keep the warranty on the phone, especially after the last mess up on the Note.

I was on to them, they say they don't have parts yet. yes they have warned me it will be about €300 - €400...... I wouldn't go near any of the small shops in this case as I would want to keep the warranty on the phone, especially after the last mess up on the Note.

That's crazy. I had my Note 8 screen repaired at Fonfix, along with repairs to cosmetic damage and the S-Pen replaced. Price on the docket was something like €260.

• Advertisement

I got a new update today, all about camera improvements. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Got the update today. Try snapchat in low light now, transformed. No longer a blurry mess

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's crazy. I had my Note 8 screen repaired at Fonfix, along with repairs to cosmetic damage and the S-Pen replaced. Price on the docket was something like €260.

Wow you done well to get all the work done for that price. I am raging after spending €1100 on the phone, I then broke the screen a day later.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Wow you done well to get all the work done for that price. I am raging after spending €1100 on the phone, I then broke the screen a day later.

I think that's standard Samsung repair policy. You essentially only pay for the expensive part, the screen. As long as the phone is repairable. When my S4 cracked back in the days, from an unfortunate drop, I got the frame and (plastic) back replaced without extra cost.

I find it really weird they won't take your phone, uncommon_name. I just went in a checked myself and they list a Note 9 screen replacement at €245. Are you sure you're talking to the right guys? :)

I think that's standard Samsung repair policy. You essentially only pay for the expensive part, the screen. As long as the phone is repairable. When my S4 cracked back in the days, from an unfortunate drop, I got the frame and (plastic) back replaced without extra cost.

I find it really weird they won't take your phone, uncommon_name. I just went in a checked myself and they list a Note 9 screen replacement at €245. Are you sure you're talking to the right guys? :)

Interesting, I was on to them on Tuesday last week and they told me they don't have parts yet. Maybe the website has been updated since then. I will give them another call.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations on cases lads?

Thanks lads

Just received October security update. Samsung much better with updates than they were with the Note 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Torn between getting this and the Pixel 3 XL, with the low ram on the Pixel pushing me towards the Note.

Torn between getting this and the Pixel 3 XL, with the low ram on the Pixel pushing me towards the Note.

The Note is a brilliant phone. I think it would be hard to beat it.
    If you have the money, get the Note, no question about it :)
    You can thank me later... Haha :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As an apple convert to the Note 9...it's a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

As an apple convert to the Note 9...it's a great piece of kit.

Ditto on both above.
    Left the Orchard for Android and Note 9 and no regrets!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement