Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun blueing

Options
  • 09-08-2018 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Handed my gun into a gunsmith today to get blued and serviced. Got a price which seemed to be fair and a rough time for how long it should take which to me seemed a bit long. Just curious to see how long this job should take normally to see if the fella I went to is being fair or not. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A blueing job could be a how long is a bit of string question. Depends on experience, the method of bluing, work involved, or whether he is farming it out or not.

Likewise, a service, unless there is something major wrong with the gun,and it needs parts,and they need to be made or orderd. Time to do a service maybe 24 hours?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

We are not far off the start of the game season either, and people do leave game guns in to be serviced in the in preparation for it. The Smith might have a back log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Normal length of time ?

Depends on are they doing it or sending it out and also the method of bluing. Itll depend on how many they can do at one time.... if they are set up to do more than 1 at a time. The current condition of the barrels should be taken into consideration as well as someone else mentioned the time of year that it is.

Ive usually a 2 week minimum turn around for refinishing barrels and am constantly asked "can I drop it down when you think youll be going it?". The simple answer is "No" because some jobs require more time than others and some barrels p**s more oil out then others that all has to be chemically cleaned before refinishing.

How long did they say they'd be ?

Advertisement