Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding entitlement

• 09-08-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

How are ye working this at second level? Time up to 2 years now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pearla

Can you provide any more information on this? I can't find any reference anywhere. In returning to work and BE ten month old. Would I be entitled to time to express etc?

BF ten month old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

It is to be covered by s and s.
    No idea how it will work in reality......neither it seems do the leave department!
    I am dreading trying to figure it out.
    They told me no one really ever used it as it was up to 26 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A teacher I worked with a few years back availed of it. She chose to use the time to breastfeed her child/express. The child was with a local childminder who brought the baby up to the school car park and she went out to the car ... or something to that effect.

I think it worked out at half an hour per day and she used to take the half hour from the class running into lunchtime. To be honest, while I appreciate the legal requirements and breastfeeding being facilitated, it can be awkward in a school set up. The way her timetable panned out one of her classes was getting hit multiple times in the week as she had them during that class period several times a week. You're not going to get a sub in for half an hour per day, and if the teacher teaches a niche subject, it's not going to happen at all.

Not saying the teacher isn't entitled to it, but it appeared to be awkward all round.

It’s an hour a day ;)
    I can only imagine the headache it will be as S and S is it to used. I honestly don’t think we will have enough people to cover it if there are multiple breastfeeding teachers.
    I am annoyed that we are put in a situation where if s and s is used we lose contact times with our class. On the other hand you do not want to end up with mastitis as it is horrendous and you will be out for a week. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Millem wrote:
    It’s an hour a day I can only imagine the headache it will be as S and S is it to used. I honestly don’t think we will have enough people to cover it if there are multiple breastfeeding teachers. I am annoyed that we are put in a situation where if s and s is used we lose contact times with our class. On the other hand you do not want to end up with mastitis as it is horrendous and you will be out for a week.

Are primary teachers entitled to this hour? We have no s&s...if I'm still BF when I go back to work it'll be great to avail of, but it'll be a logistical nightmare too..

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Millem wrote:
    It’s an hour a day I can only imagine the headache it will be as S and S is it to used. I honestly don’t think we will have enough people to cover it if there are multiple breastfeeding teachers. I am annoyed that we are put in a situation where if s and s is used we lose contact times with our class. On the other hand you do not want to end up with mastitis as it is horrendous and you will be out for a week.

Are primary teachers entitled to this hour? We have no s&s...if I'm still BF when I go back to work it'll be great to avail of, but it'll be a logistical nightmare too..

Yes asti, tui and into teachers.

I was under the impression that it was only for 26 weeks after normal maternity. So wouldn't include babies over one year???

Pearla wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it was only for 26 weeks after normal maternity. So wouldn't include babies over one year???
    It has been extended to 104 weeks....2 years old.
    You are meant to give 4 weeks notice to avail of it....so tell your principal now ;)

Oh wow! That's great! Don't know how it will work but great to know. Thanks so much 😊😊

• Advertisement

If anyone happens to have a link to this?? Cannot find anything and principal will want evidence!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The circular on it is supposed to be out in September so there's nothing in stone yet.

Pearla comtact your union they will write you a letter to show your principal with info. “Formal circular will follow in due course” apparently ;)

Great advice, thanks

Great advice, thanks
    I was told that basically the original circular will just be amended to 104 weeks. If you look at leave section on department booklet......it says 1 hour a day.

Rainbowtrout does it say somewhere on that citizens info link that it's up to particular age? The only timeframe I can see says it covers women who've given birth in the previous 6 months..I won't be back at work until the 6 months have passed..

Rainbowtrout does it say somewhere on that citizens info link that it's up to particular age? The only timeframe I can see says it covers women who've given birth in the previous 6 months..I won't be back at work until the 6 months have passed..
    Cash q into, tui and asti got it extended as it has been the case for all civil service employees for years....since 2008.

Millem wrote:
    Cash q into, tui and asti got it extended as it has been the case for all civil service employees for years....since 2008.

Thanks...nothing on INTO App or web site though, would be great to have something concrete to refer to

Millem wrote:

Thanks...nothing on INTO App or web site though, would be great to have something concrete to refer to
    Millem wrote:

There will be nothing on there till new circular is issued.
    I have been contact with the union on this since May.
    I think it was back in April it was announced at congress?
    Why don’t you contact into so you can tell your principal?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If anyone happens to have a link to this?? Cannot find anything and principal will want evidence!!
    Whip out a boob and ask him does he want some in his tea :-) lol but seriously, I had to produce birth certs to prove my baby was mine in order to take 2 weeks paternity leave. On another kid I missed the birth as baby came the week before the date I gave and as I didn't give the correct notice.

😂😂 I may very well do this!!!

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Whip out a boob and ask him does he want some in his tea :-) lol but seriously, I had to produce birth certs to prove my baby was mine in order to take 2 weeks paternity leave. On another kid I missed the birth as baby came the week before the date I gave and as I didn't give the correct notice.

You are right you need to provide birth cert and give 4 weeks notice.
    I reckon we will need to sign a declaration to say we are breastfeeding and we will notify management when we stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Horrible thing is that it probably will be abused. Some will claim they are breastfeeding to get an extra 5 hours off a week for 1.5 years and some poor eejit will be doing all of their S&S. Will be a nightmare for timetablers to implement.

On a plus note, I'd say it would be a great impetus to continue breastfeeding when you're going back to work and your head still isn't in the game. I know I would have grabbed it if I had the opportunity.

One other thing, I wonder does it actually mean an EXTRA hour off or does it mean that if you have a 50 minute lunch break, well then they have to make sure you get 10 extra minutes? You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Horrible thing is that it probably will be abused. Some will claim they are breastfeeding to get an extra 5 hours off a week for 1.5 years and some poor eejit will be doing all of their S&S. Will be a nightmare for timetablers to implement.

On a plus note, I'd say it would be a great impetus to continue breastfeeding when you're going back to work and your head still isn't in the game. I know I would have grabbed it if I had the opportunity.

One other thing, I wonder does it actually mean an EXTRA hour off or does it mean that if you have a 50 minute lunch break, well then they have to make sure you get 10 extra minutes? You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Totally agree re it being abused:(
    We were actually talking about this at a breastfeeding meeting recently.

No it’s on top of lunch breaks. It’s an extra hour off tbh I had to pump for a week when my son was 9 months old and it took me 30 mins using a double pump that didn’t include cleaning my equipment or even having a drink or going to the toilet myself :( an hour is defo needed. I would say a mum with younger child would need more. It does say somewhere....at least one hour.....and more can be negotiated. The whole malarkey of setting up takes time. Also I found people might stop me to ask me something etc.

One day I had to wait 20 mins to find a room as usual space wasn’t available.
    :( I can see this being an issue as schools are tight on spaces! I was using random offices......with paper over the glass and my back to the window! Then to store the milk it was a big palava......hiding it in the fridge!!!

The first few days I drove home to feed but other days there was not enough time so had to pump.

In other jobs you fill out a form and outline how you would like to take the breaks eg 2 x 30 mins or state if you would prefer to go home to feed etc.
    I didn’t do this I just asked if I could avail of the breaks.......my poor principal!!

Millem wrote: »

I don't see why it would be abused. This entitlement existed before now only for a shorter period of time. In my 17 years teaching I've only ever known one teacher to use it.

I think breast feeding rates across the country are less than 25% at 6 months, so the majority of teachers are probably not breastfeeding on their return to work.

Do you honestly think women are going to return to work and skip off to a room for an hour a day and pretend to pump milk just so they don't have to teach??

Millem wrote: »

Do you honestly think women are going to return to work and skip off to a room for an hour a day and pretend to pump milk just so they don't have to teach??

Yes I do 100%. I could write alot of things on it but I don’t even want to get into it here. It could ruin it for the people who are actually still breastfeeding.

It wasn’t abused before as it was rarely used as it was only up to baby was 26 weeks old. (at one stage it was even less I think?)
    Very few teachers returned before baby was 26 weeks. Even if they did they would only have the entitlement up to when the baby reached 26 weeks.

Anyway it’s a great first step but I think it just needs to be implemented properly. I am hoping all will work out for me and I will manage as I am still feeding every 3 hours day and night :(
    Hopefully after this year they will put something else in place that is not s and s!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Can I please apologise for starting this thread and then disappearing. Work has been bananas and my little man stuck to me every other hour. Anyway, I have plagued my own union for updates. The Secretary told me they can't keep up with all the calls (success!) and are hoping to meet the other unions Friday week. Please contact your union. Don't leave this to others. If we don't put pressure on it won't happen. I'm not sure how this will work but anything is better than nothing. Doesn't really make a massive difference to me as my lad turns two in Feb but I'm future proofing. Best of luck all.

Does anyone have a link to rates of feeding at different stages? Also...playing Devil's advocate here but if a mother was completely exhausted and used a bit of time to relax would it be a crime?! My principal is taking me off s and s and lunch/break for the year so no cover needed and I will 100% schedule in a coffee date during times I would have been covering. I'm still up once or twice a night and need some time for me. Not looking for a pity party but just being honest. Will also love knowing I'm off when I'm off too and can get a clear run at corrections.

• Advertisement

It's an actual hour to bring us in line with civil servants who have it years.

Advertisement