Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding entitlement

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Probably that Miss has gone to a meeting !

Every week!!!!
    I was going to say an appointment?
    I actually taught milk this week with second years.....they nearly died when the topic of human milk came up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Millem wrote: »
    Every week!!!!
    I actually taught milk this week with second years.....they nearly died when the topic of human milk came up!

Why not just tell them the truth? If your second years find the topic of breast milk odd why not take the opportunity to normalise it?

Why not just tell them the truth? If your second years find the topic of breast milk odd why not take the opportunity to normalise it?

I don’t actually miss my second year classes. ;)

In the staffroom not all colleagues have not been very supportive. So not really getting into it with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Probably that Miss has gone to a meeting !

Every week!!!!

A mixture of both then, just enough meetings to think you not getting in to trouble with the principal :) you could also say JCT meeting !! Or wellbeing !! Use the buzz words :) the former isn't wrong.

I mean latter !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Why are mothers banished to a "feeding room" ,why are they not allowed breastfeed in their place of work. This is just further stigmatizing breast feeding. A nursing mother should be allowed to continue teaching with her child at her breast.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Why are mothers banished to a "feeding room" ,why are they not allowed breastfeed in their place of work. This is just further stigmatizing breast feeding. A nursing mother should be allowed to continue teaching with her child at her breast.

Well logically there's zero space in schools anyway and also who wants their healthy baby taken in to cold and dirty schools. Never mind the logistics of getting the baby in to the school. In an ideal world, schools would have crèche facilities and parent and child rooms.

Well logically there's zero space in schools anyway and also who wants their healthy baby taken in to cold and dirty schools. Never mind the logistics of getting the baby in to the school. In an ideal world, schools would have crèche facilities and parent and child rooms.

My guy will only feed in a quiet room with just the two of us. He gets too distracted even if my older boy is in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Earra here, you can't expect that to be realistic, a mother breastfeeding a baby in front of 30 rowdy students. How could a teacher deliver the course material in that situation without the quality of the teaching being negatively affected.

I'm all for breastfeeding but I think that the 104 week allowance can and will be abused. You could end up with non breastfeeding mothers applying for it because they are entitled to it and leaving work an hour early or disappearing off into town to do errands or other bits of personal business etc under the guise of "feeding the baby".
    Even one poster here said she would like to leave work an hour early to feed the baby. Can we be assured that she won't stop of in town to do some shopping or whatever else on any of those early days and that she will go home to feed the baby every. single. day?

Look, in theory this is all a great idea but in the practical, real world this is wide open to people taking the piss out of it.

And at the end of the day it is all at expense of the students as they are at best having to make do with a sub/cover who won't be as familiar with the particular workload, abilities etc of that class and at worst having to make do with no teaching for that period.

My guy will only feed in a quiet room with just the two of us. He gets too distracted even if my older boy is in the room.

My idea above will never happen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Earra here, you can't expect that to be realistic, a mother breastfeeding a baby in front of 30 rowdy students. How could a teacher deliver the course material in that situation without the quality of the teaching being negatively affected.

I'm all for breastfeeding but I think that the 104 week allowance can and will be abused. You could end up with non breastfeeding mothers applying for it because they are entitled to it and leaving work an hour early or disappearing off into town to do errands or other bits of personal business etc under the guise of "feeding the baby".
    Even one poster here said she would like to leave work an hour early to feed the baby. Can we be assured that she won't stop of in town to do some shopping or whatever else on any of those early days and that she will go home to feed the baby every. single. day?

Look, in theory this is all a great idea but in the practical, real world this is wide open to people taking the piss out of it.

And at the end of the day it is all at expense of the students as they are at best having to make do with a sub/cover who won't be as familiar with the particular workload, abilities etc of that class and at worst having to make do with no teaching for that period.

This notion of it being "abused" gets me.

What you're talking about is a mother with a child under 2 having the option to work an hour less each day. Every mother should have that option, who gives a damn if she's breastfeeding or not.

"Abuse" away as far as im concerned.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.

Breastfeeding time allowances are just that - time out of your job for breastfeeding. If you use that time to do anything else other than breastfeeding, then it is being abused, plain and simple.

the fact that you can't get your head around the fact that this is abusing the system just serves to prove my point that it is very likely that the allowance will be abused left right and centre.

And if a mother feel that strongly about spending as much time as possible with her young child, to be honest they don't *have to* go to work, they can always take a career break for year or whatever.

Sorry, but the breast-feeding time allowance is for just that, breastfeeding. And nothing else. If that allowance is being used for anything else other than breastfeeding, then it is being abused. Plain and simple.

the fact that you can't get your head around the notion that this is abusing the allowance only serves to prove my point that the allowance is likely to be abused wholesale, left right and centre.

if a mother feels that strongly about wanting to spend as much time as physically possible with her young child, then to be honest she doesn't *have to* return to work. She can always take a career break for a year or whatever.

and as for who gives a damn about whether the allowance is being abused, well I can tell you a lot of people would be!
    I'm sure the students wouldn't like to hear that their teacher is abusing the system, I'm sure the other staff in the school and the Principal would have an issue with a teacher abusing the system. I'm sure the board of management and the parents of the students would not be keen on this abuse of the system. and I'm sure the taxpayers would not be keen on the abuse of the system either since they are the ones paying for the whole thing.

Your attitude stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

I would sincerely hope it won't be abused and bad cess to anyone who does.

I am going to be availing of these breaks and honestly it would suit me if one of them could take place during last class so that I could get home to collect my baby and feed her immediately as she needs a feed within 40 mins of my school day finishing and at present I can't get to her that quickly. Instead I pump straight after last class and then go to collect her. I wouldn't dare ask for my time allocation during last class so ultimately I'll only be availing of 20-30 mins on the days I'm taking the breaks. I plan to use free classes too cos it suits time wise.

I'll be interested to hear the giving out done about me taking the breaks by my colleagues over the coming months because I don't doubt that that will happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

After being off this week I realise now what this hour a week would mean to my son and how much he still needs his day feeds. I'll be pushing for this once back.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

After being off this week I realise now what this hour a week would mean to my son and how much he still needs his day feeds. I'll be pushing for this once back.

Advertisement