Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Terminator' fans triggered by latest Hollywood SJW effort

• 09-08-2018 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think you have to go all the way back to Terminator 2 in the early 90's for the last good movie of this franchise.

So fans were looking forward to the new 6th installment because it was going to take up from that movie and ignore all the rubbish movies since - and James Cameron is going to produce it.

So they seem to have had high hopes UNTIL the first kinda poster teaser for the movie came out in recent days:

Djg_zjfUYAAK3FJ.jpg:small

I'm all for empowerment of women and all that stuff but I agree with the backlash here. I don't go to the cinema for politics or to have this SJW stuff forced down my throat. I just want to see hopefully a good movie with great characters (male and female) and leave that sh!t at the door.

The thing is it's so in your face - the message. I don't see any need for it.

Everyone is in favor of more women empowerment in movies as it is. Or at least I don't see anyone objecting.

Anyway this is far from the first franchise likely to suffer. The remake of 'Ghostbusters' in 2016 to an all female main cast was more of the same stuff with Hollywood trying to force it's SJW ideals on the audience. Of course it flopped - I don't know maybe because the original movies fan base was mostly men!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Women are the same as men, except men are idiots.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So there should be an expectation that men have to be leads in films to not alienate/upset them? Isn't that a bit peecee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Just seeing that poster is enough reason not to go and see this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely there's a man in that photo.....the middle one? No?

I think Annette Schwarzenegger has agreed to the lead role?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

nullzero wrote: »
    Women are the same as men, except men are idiots.

I agree but look at the recent Ghostbusters release all-woman cast and the movie was awful.

If the movie is good I don't care, but if it's terrible what was the point of new terminator again?

°°°°°

I agree but look at the recent Ghostbusters release all-woman cast and the movie was awful.

If the movie is good I don't care, but if it's terrible what was the point of new terminator again?

You agree that men are idiots?

Glazers Out!

It's such absolute nonsense.

Look at movies like Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri and you'll find an amazing performance and a genuinely strong female lead.. That's an empowering role and relateable to women instead of just ticking some boxes.

This fúckery of replacing men with women is saying "Women are stronger when they act like men." Why not have them just be strong women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I think the problem with this stuff is it comes off so obvious and cack handed. People can tell when a film make deliberate choices to try and cash in on equality and feminism.

Nothing wrong with decent and strong female leads but if they don't concentrate on making good and interesting characters and stories first it just ends up being a crap film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely there's a man in that photo.....the middle one? No?
    Is there something off about the size of their heads? I don't get it, what am I outraged about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

nullzero wrote: »
    You agree that men are idiots?

Yes, we can be idiots sometimes. Are you a woman?

°°°°°

Yes, we can be idiots sometimes. Are you a woman?

I'm a man I was taking the piss out of the notion that men are inherently stupid. A notion the media has become more and more enamored with. People can be idiots at times, gender isn't a determining factor.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

somefeen wrote: »
    I think the problem with this stuff is it comes off so obvious and cack handed. People can tell when a film make deliberate choices to try and cash in on equality and feminism.

Nothing wrong with decent and strong female leads but if they don't concentrate on making good and interesting characters and stories first it just ends up being a crap film.

Also there was already a very strong female character in this franchise back in the 80's.

But again you have the same problem. They are trying to put their SJW feminist values in to a movie whose fan base in mostly men.

The "Oceans" movie franchise was another one they replaced with all female cast - again a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So...........John Connor is now Joan Connor?

No wonder the T800 had trouble tracking him down.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The gas thing is Hamilton as Sarah Connor in the first two movies is up there with Ripley from the Alien franchise as a kick-ass female character that's loved by the fanbase. There is literally nothing to gain with the fans by this pr stunt.

Venom wrote: »
    The gas thing is Hamilton as Sarah Connor in the first two movies is up there with Ripley from the Alien franchise as a kick-ass female character that's loved by the fanbase. There is literally nothing to gain with the fans by this pr stunt.

+1. There was never an anti female inbalance in this franchise in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

How things have changed in the 15 years since Terminator 3.

Back then the concept discussion would have been "Oh I know, lets have a female terminator, lets make her really hot in a tight leather outfit and she will of course be naked at some point.... basically a sex robot killing machine"

The discussion for this film "Oh I know lets have an all female cast, because women are so IN right now. Girlpower and all that. They don't need no men to kick some ass. We'll make them butch and manly, no sexualizing them in any way cos that's just not on!"

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8 and now this.

Waiting for 12 Angry Men Empowered Women.

Is that not John Connor in the middle?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is that not John Connor in the middle?

Transbot?

Ah sure why not...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Everything since 2 has been **** anyway, this is just a lame effort to drum up some attention

Transbot?

Ah sure why not...
    Christ just realized that's your one from Blade Runner.

Everything since 2 has been **** anyway, this is just a lame effort to drum up some attention

The ending of three was good.

Four was fine as a stand alone film. Quite enjoyed it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Noveight wrote: »
    Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8 and now this.

Waiting for 12 Angry Men Empowered Women.

Who would star in that?

1) Ruth Coppinger
    2) Claire Daly
    3) Arlene Foster
    4) Sarah McInerney

????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The ending of three was good.

Four was fine as a stand alone film. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Really? Compared to one and two I just find them all so poor, but well, good for you anyway if you can enjoy them!

I would say the original is one of my all time favourites, so many great scenes

That poster looks so cheap and tacky too. Aside from the feminist thing whoever thought to put that out can't do their job. I know transition year students that could do a better job in 15 minutes than that on promotional material!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Go away op and all the other doubters. Yes t3 4 n 5 were only good films whereas 1 and 2 are 2 of the best films ever made but so what, I have faith in Cameron even though he's only producing. Can't wait for t6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The Ghostbusters remake was pretty good all round, assuming you're not the sort of pathetic, insecure moron who uses terms like "sjw". It certainly wasn't any worse than the originals, which were bad at the time and haven't held up well either. If it was flop it wasn't because the original films' fans were men, they were children. Unfortunately many of them still are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Snowflakes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The Ghostbusters remake was pretty good all round, assuming you're not the sort of pathetic, insecure moron who uses terms like "sjw". It certainly wasn't any worse than the originals, which were bad at the time and haven't held up well either. If it was flop it wasn't because the original films' fans were men, they were children. Unfortunately many of them still are.

It was absolutely awful.

The original was a classic.

You're embarrassing yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

I'm not a a fan of the Terminator films, but I thought Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) was amazing. She was portrayed as an incredibly strong powerful woman, and also happened to be beautiful, which seems to be a sin these days. To me,she was a true feminist, not the ball breaking, vagina costume wearing marchers of today, who seem to see all men as the enemy.

I'm so fcuking sick of the pc world we live in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't go to the cinema for politics

Cinema has always been soaked in politics, ideology, religion and whatnot. 'March of the [****ing] Penguins' even has it. 'In the harshest place on Earth, love finds a way'

They're ****ing Penguins Morgan, g'way with your pseudo-religious anthropomorphism.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

So...........John Connor is now Joan Connor?

No wonder the T800 had trouble tracking him down.

Played by Edwina Furlong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

They could have at least put Linda Hamilton in the middle. I've nothing against women being in lead roles but replacing the main cast with an all Female cast doesn't help at all. The Terminator/Ghostbusters(Original) etc..were created, not to push an agenda on people but just to be entertainment for people and now we have all these being recreated just to push an agenda. Women= Right, Men = Bad. Who should young boys look up to when they keep getting this stuff shoved down their gullets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus who cares, it's gonna be ****e anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I went to see Wonder Woman for the women in skimpy outfits, and stayed for the action, great movie.

I went to see Black Panther for the action, and all I got were men in skin-tight leather outfits grappling with each other - bloody awful movie.

Jus the poster alone for this Terminator movie brings back long repressed memories of Demi Moore in GI Jane when she snarled at her commanding officer... actually I won't spoil it for the lucky few who managed to avoid that godawful heap of shyte, but anyone who's seen the movie will know the scene I'm referring to :pac:

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who would star in that?

1) Ruth Coppinger
    2) Claire Daly
    3) Arlene Foster
    4) Sarah McInerney

????

5) Louise O Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I actually don't have any issues with this and I was very much all about pooping on the Ghostbusters remake and whatever they did to Oceans whatever number it is.

But in this... Sarah Connors is tough as nuts, that Mackenzie one looks bad ass, I'll be going to check it out and I've no problems with the leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I gave up on the franchise after T-3. They completely lost the plot with the movies now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only saving grace is that it's a sequel rather than a remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I actually don't have any issues with this and I was very much all about pooping on the Ghostbusters remake and whatever they did to Oceans whatever number it is.

But in this... Sarah Connors is tough as nuts, that Mackenzie one looks bad ass, I'll be going to check it out and I've no problems with the leads.

This is what i don't get, Sarah Connors particularly in the 2nd one was hard as ****ing nails.

They also are going to have Arnie in it, and a kid playing young John Connors. The time changing stuff lends itself well to this movie as well.

Not quite sure what the issue is.

It's funny that a poster of 3 members of one half of the population is normal, but a poster of a different 3 members is sjw or pandering and literally the worst thing ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doesn't take much to trigger the broflakes these days.

I mean it's not as if Terminator was a film about a kick-ass woman in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Also there was already a very strong female character in this franchise back in the 80's.

But again you have the same problem. They are trying to put their SJW feminist values in to a movie whose fan base in mostly men.

The "Oceans" movie franchise was another one they replaced with all female cast - again a flop.

It does seem odd to repeat this experiment if it isn’t succeeding. Surely money will eventually talk.

Also: enough with the reboots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It does seem odd to repeat this experiment if it isn’t succeeding. Surely money will eventually talk.

Also: enough with the reboots.

From what I can gather this one is a sequel. If nothing else people suddenly seem to care about the Terminator series for the first time in over a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The Doctor Who syndrome I call it.

Let's ram things down people throats for the sake of it.

They aren't being smart, just idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You could easily say the same about **** movies with weak male characters. It goes both ways. The problem isn’t Hollywood trying to push an SJW agenda or being pro-feminist. The problem is ****ty writers not being able to write interesting characters.

°°°°°

You go girlfriend, tell it like it is('nt).

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For me the problem is the shoehorning of female actors into characters we all know as male. Hand on heart I would be equally outraged if they made an Alien remake with a male Ripley.

Why not have original female characters like when one poster mentioned 3 billboards?

For me the problem is the shoehorning of female actors into characters we all know as male. Hand on heart I would be equally outraged if they made an Alien remake with a male Ripley.

Why not have original female characters like when one poster mentioned 3 billboards?

What male characters? John connors is in it and gabriel someome is the new terminator

• Advertisement
Advertisement