Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Terminator' fans triggered by latest Hollywood SJW effort

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ionapaul wrote: »
    Does anyone have any details of this gender or diversity quota that the studios are being forced to meet in their new movies? Just curious as I've seen it mentioned a few times; if having to meet the new requirements is costing them lots of cash due to narrowing their potential customer base and therefore shrinking their profits, they must be bulling about it being imposed on them! I'm guessing it's something forced on them by the US Government or the corporations that own the studios?
    Or the simpler answer that they're not as profitable as they once were and they're scrambling around looking for the next big thing and not finding it so are trying everything, but mostly paint by numbers superhero flics they know get the arses on seats. And remakes of blockbusters with whatever twists they can come up with after a few lines of coke. There's also the element of public distrust in Hollywood and its so called morals that they paint of themselves. No no we don't operate a casting couch(Bad Harvey, Bad!!), so here's a Strong Woman/Person of Colour™ for you. Set against an ever divided America and huge new markets like China that aren't so sold on their output. EG The last Star Wars tanked there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ah lads, are we really arguing about the comparative powers of space wizards and space witches now?

I always thought the fictitious Jedi had more grounding in the likes of Kuji-Kiri, the semi-mythical sequence of hand gestures from which the Ninja were supposed to derive much of their real and imagined power, rather than straight "witches and wizards" à la Enid Blyton gone wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah lads, are we really arguing about the comparative powers of space wizards and space witches now?
    I'm bored on me day off. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wibbs wrote: »
    It clearly states he was accepted into the academy.

Cite? Which includes the fact that he was accepted into the academy because of his skill as a pilot?
    you forgot the bestest pilot ever. With no reason at all given.

no, bestest pilot ever is Poe Dameron
    I'd certainly complain about it. And certainly if they had gone with a bloke in the new Star Wars.

yeah, the internet is full of people complaining that Iron Man is unrealistically brilliant at technology, and that Doctor Strange guy - not just the bestest surgeon ever, but the bestest magician ever, pfft, what's that about? And hello, who taught Starlord how to dance like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ionapaul wrote: »
    Does anyone have any details of this gender or diversity quota that the studios are being forced to meet in their new movies? Just curious as I've seen it mentioned a few times; if having to meet the new requirements is costing them lots of cash due to narrowing their potential customer base and therefore shrinking their profits, they must be bulling about it being imposed on them! I'm guessing it's something forced on them by the US Government or the corporations that own the studios?

There is none.

:D

More the
    "Space Wizard? Cool!!!!"
    "Space Witch? Duh, that's pandering"
    thing

but yeah :D

RayCun wrote: »
    ...that Doctor Strange guy - not just the bestest surgeon ever, but the bestest magician ever...

Nope - that would be Tilda Swinton as a modern, female(-ish) Master Po. :D

Or the simpler answer that they're not as profitable as they once were and they're scrambling around looking for the next big thing and not finding it so are trying everything, but mostly paint by numbers superhero flics they know get the arses on seats. And remakes of blockbusters with whatever twists they can come up with after a few lines of coke. There's also the element of public distrust in Hollywood and its so called morals that they paint of themselves. No no we don't operate a casting couch(Bad Harvey, Bad!!), so here's a Strong Woman/Person of Colour™ for you. Set against an ever divided America and huge new markets like China that aren't so sold on their output. EG The last Star Wars tanked there.

I think you conveniently left out the shadowy cabal of illuminati cultural marxists that are pumping soy into the soft drinks at our cinemas that make us cry like little bitches at Pete's Dragon.

yeah, the internet is full of people complaining that Iron Man is unrealistically brilliant at technology, and that Doctor Strange guy - not just the bestest surgeon ever, but the bestest magician ever, pfft, what's that about? And hello, who taught Starlord how to dance like that?
    Personally I consider the big screen Marvel stuff to be polished shlock of the highest order, so you'll get no disagreement from me there. It adds to my contention that the new Star Wars is more about superheroes than the older style Samurai based heroes. Even as a kid I thought most of the US comic stuff was pretty daft and painfully silly TBH. Blokes faffing about in costumes and capes and that. Superman was pointless. Batman was OK with his gadgets. As an adult the painfully silly got ever more painful. Though to be fair my idea of hell would be something like a Comic Con. I do find Deadpool funny though, partially because it sends up the genre. The small screen Marvel I quite like, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's nothing to do with gender. Luke's arc is a spectrum of trial, error, failure and success. Rey's is just straight up wonder-woman stuff with zero exposition as to why she's a grandmaster at everything she turns her hand to.

That may change with the final movie in the new trilogy, which could explain why she's so gifted, but thus far it's definitely a major gripe I have with the new movies and it's nothing to do with gender.

If Rey was a Ray, I'd be equally irritated. Kylo Ren's hands down the best character in the new trilogy because he's deeply flawed and multi-dimensional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A thread about a feminist SJW conspiracy has turned into one where people are discussing space wizards. Be grateful. Normally it would be the other way round. :D

It's nothing to do with gender. Luke's arc is a spectrum of trial, error, failure and success. Rey's is just straight up wonder-woman stuff with zero exposition as to why she's a grandmaster at everything she turns her hand to.

That may change with the final movie in the new trilogy, which could explain why she's so gifted, but thus far it's definitely a major gripe I have with the new movies and it's nothing to do with gender.

If Rey was a Ray, I'd be equally irritated. Kylo Ren's hands down the best character in the new trilogy because he's deeply flawed and multi-dimensional.

I assumed that she was the child of a jedi and that's why she's good at flying and sword fighting. I'm assuming they'll tie it in by making her the child of a famous jedi.

...Batman was OK...

Do you recall by any chance "Batman: The Animated Series" from the 1990s? There was, in my view, the best Batman concoction of the lot, combining as it did Tim Burton-esque Mad-Hatter-Steampunk with a mysterious Ninja-related background for Bruce Wayne almost worthy of Van Lustbader.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Do you recall by any chance "Batman: The Animated Series" from the 1990s? There was, in my view, the best Batman concoction of the lot, combining as it did Tim Burton-esque Mad-Hatter-Steampunk with a mysterious Ninja-related background for Bruce Wayne almost worthy of Van Lustbader.

You should check out the DC animated movies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

Most are far better than anything they've made in live action format in a while.

Luke rescues the princess, swinging over chasms along the way, pilots spaceships better than most of the trained pilots in the battle, and blows up the bad guys' base with the power of space magic. And this is a kid who grew up on a farm.

Rey had to fend for herself most of her life, so it isn't surprising that she can fight, and salvages wrecks so she is clearly mechanically apt. She gets captured easily, and she manages to beat a guy who is clearly severely injured (and emotionally conflicted)

Nothing to do with gender, no :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yep. Though I'd say it's far more to do with the massive success of the superhero flics and audiences wanting more of that kinda instant hero stuff, than any you go girl! Hollywood "feminism".

Grayson wrote: »
    I assumed that she was the child of a jedi and that's why she's good at flying and sword fighting. I'm assuming they'll tie it in by making her the child of a famous jedi.

All indications are that they're going the other way, instead of amazing space wizard powers being hereditary, they're something that anyone can have - an orphan scavenger, a stable boy, etc...

Luke rescues the princess, swinging over chasms along the way, pilots spaceships better than most of the trained pilots in the battle, and blows up the bad guys' base with the power of space magic. And this is a kid who grew up on a farm.

Rey had to fend for herself most of her life, so it isn't surprising that she can fight, and salvages wrecks so she is clearly mechanically apt. She gets captured easily, and she manages to beat a guy who is clearly severely injured (and emotionally conflicted)

In fairness, like most kids in the real world who grew up on farms, Luke is at least partly-skilled in shooting, piloting and various running and jumping efforts before he leaves Tattooine. And being the son of Anakin Skywalker wouldn't be doing him any harm in the oul' Force department either.

In fairness, like most kids in the real world who grew up on farms, Luke is at least partly-skilled in shooting, piloting and various running and jumping efforts before he leaves Tattooine. And being the son of Anakin Skywalker wouldn't be doing him any harm in the oul' Force department either.

Most real-life farm kids are partly skilled in piloting? :confused: The ones I've met in the midlands can barely tie their shoelaces...

Flying a land speeder to the market /= flying a fighter in a battle
    Driving a tractor wouldn't really prepare you for captaining a tank at Kursk :)

and when the first movie came out, as far as the audience knew Anakin was a pilot that was killed by Darth Vader.

• Advertisement

Most real-life farm kids are partly skilled in piloting? :confused: The ones I've met in the midlands can barely tie their shoelaces...

Driving. Driving! On Tattooine, Luke uses a landspeeder like farm kids muck about with tractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm looking forward to an all male remake of Sex And the City. Actually I'm not. For the same reasons I'm not looking forward to this sh1te.

Flying a land speeder to the market /= flying a fighter in a battle
    Driving a tractor wouldn't really prepare you for captaining a tank at Kursk :)

and when the first movie came out, as far as the audience knew Anakin was a pilot that was killed by Darth Vader.

Well that's late-70s documentaries for you, shoddy and slap-dash. :pac:

professore wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to an all male remake of Sex And the City. Actually I'm not. For the same reasons I'm not looking forward to this sh1te.

Why are they doing an all female remake of Terminator? When is that happening!?!?!

TBH J, I kinda left the comic book type stuff in my childhood. Which was before the 90's so... :D Like I said the Marvel big screen stuff leaves me cold.
    Way to wilfully completely ignore the obvious and demonstrable differences. BTW he swings over one chasm Errol Flynn like and even there herself with the headphones for hair blasts the bad guys so he can set it up. She also has more than a hand in rescuing herself when the lads bugger it up(one thing I disliked about Empire was they dumbed her down and made her more helpless). And it's already established he's a pilot. And again he would have been toast without help.
    It would be my take that you're more the one making it about gender. Defending a clearly awfully written character just because it's a woman. Oh and I consider the male characters to be bloody weak in those scripts too. The Kylo guy makes up for shallow character with grimaces and tantrums. He chews the scenery in lieu of script. The guy played by our own and bloody good actor Domhnall Gleeson just rants with zero threat. The most threatening is a CGI cartoon. The first script was a near scene for scene copy the first Star Wars, the second was all over the place with plot. Scarily so for such a huge movie. I wouldn't mind if it was all regarded and played as harmless fun, but the producers were aiming at relevant and quality.

Of the current crop I did like Rogue One and shocker the hero in that was a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The problem is that certain men see the rise of female oed movies as a political agenda and they see it thwg way because deep down their maleness is somehow being threatened. It's absolute nonsense. The Ghostbusters remake didn't fail because it was all women, Ocean's Eight did very well and could get a sequel. Ghostbusters didn't do well because it was a fairly average film, it would not have performed any better had you given the same script to four males.

Also forgetting that in the movie he literally says he used to bullseye small creatures as a pilot in his T16 when discussing the Death Star plans. The film goes to lengths to outline that he's already a naturally skilled pilot with some experience of targetting and shooting, which lends credability to what follows.

TFA and TLJ have done a good job of capturing the tortured arc of Kylo Ren so unless they drop the ball unbelievably badly in the final movie, presumably the original plan was to withhold an explanation as to why Rey is so absurdly gifted and excels at everything she lays a hand on and deliver a payload of some description in the final act.

Problem is, given that TLJ chucked out or brushed aside so much of what TFA set up, I'm not entirely confident.
    Nothing to do with gender, no

Honestly, you're the one trying to twist it into a gender issue when it's demonstratably not.

All indications are that they're going the other way, instead of amazing space wizard powers being hereditary, they're something that anyone can have - an orphan scavenger, a stable boy, etc...
    And can use with no training. The equivalent of inclusivity races where everyone gets a medal for showing up. God forbid there are naturally special people, who through hard slog and some luck reach the top. Nope, just get bitten by a radioactive whatever, or because of Feelings™ and you get instant hero/heroine. But I agree, that's the angle they're going for.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The problem is that certain men see the rise of female oed movies as a political agenda and they see it thwg way because deep down their maleness is somehow being threatened. It's absolute nonsense. The Ghostbusters remake didn't fail because it was all women, Ocean's Eight did very well and could get a sequel. Ghostbusters didn't do well because it was a fairly average film, it would not have performed any better had you given the same script to four males.

No. The problem is taking male roles and shoehorning females into them just for the sake of it. I enjoyed Wonder Woman because she was, well, a woman and acted like a woman! Even down to the part where she spared the really evil woman and had no problem killing relatively innocent male baddies.

No one wants to watch women acting like men or vice versa unless it's some sort of trans film (The Crying Game springs to mind). It's just not believable or relatable. Like my previous comment about an all male Sex and the City or Pretty Woman with the roles reversed (Pretty Man LOL), or a remake of any Dwayne Johnson or Stephen Segal film it's just pathetic and doesn't work.

That Kate McKinnon one in Ghostbusters is the opposite of funny. I've only seen her in that and Rough Night and she has this magical ability of making everyone else look better by being chronically painful to watch. The film, no matter how bad it is, feels like a better movie when she's not in the scene.

• Advertisement

But that's not a new angle in the SW universe, in any case? It's always been that any random person can be force sensitive or gifted and with nurture and training, can become an immensely powerful individual (to varying degrees) whether for better or worse (Luke; Kylo Ren).

Not that someone immediately becomes the gold standard of the universe everytime they turn their hand to something for the first time (Rey).

Unless I'm missing something, the spirit of the TLJ 'stable boy' bit in that sense is no different to general lore in previous films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'd have absolutely no problem with the Hollywood bigwigs crowbarring all the political hot button issues they like into their films, on the condition that they make actually decent work. Characters whose names you remember by the end, character arcs, plot development, well written / memorable scripts..... etc etc

It seems nowadays, especially since the advent of CG, they just don't have to bother to a large degree. It's more about explosions and SJW commentary. Making a good film which stands up on it's own merits is secondary. I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that this new Terminator sequel will be nothing more than a cynical cashing in on the franchise name and will be completely forgettable, regardless of the gender of the cast.

And it's already established he's a pilot.

I've asked you for that cite a few times now
    It would be my take that you're more the one making it about gender.

The only reason we're even talking about the space wizard movies is that you brought them up as an example of Hollywood culture changes and introducing a Disney princess into Star Wars. Four times you brought up Star Wars and how Rey was a Disney princess before I bit.

Agricola wrote: »
    It's more about explosions and SJW commentary.

Is that someone talking over the film ala David Attenborough?

'And here we see the hero flying majestically through the flames, right fist pumped forward in a symbol of hegemonic masculinity, his cape slightly frayed by the explosion. A cape woven by children in a sweat shop in Africa, a potent symbol of the intersectionality of pain and suffering...'

God forbid there are naturally special people, who through hard slog and some luck reach the top.

Hang on, we're still talking about the space wizard movies where a kid was magically conceived by the magic midichlorians which makes him super at magic and his kids are born with the same magic powers and his grandson is born with the same magic powers, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

No. The problem is taking male roles and shoehorning females into them just for the sake of it. I enjoyed Wonder Woman because she was, well, a woman and acted like a woman! Even down to the part where she spared the really evil woman and had no problem killing relatively innocent male baddies.

No one wants to watch women acting like men or vice versa unless it's some sort of trans film (The Crying Game springs to mind). It's just not believable or relatable. Like my previous comment about an all male Sex and the City or Pretty Woman with the roles reversed (Pretty Man LOL), or a remake of any Dwayne Johnson or Stephen Segal film it's just pathetic and doesn't work.

The point is that they're not male roles. There characters that were played by men, they were presumably written as men by men but do we really think Venkman couldn't have been a woman. If your answer to that question is 'yes' then your problem is associating certain character traits with gender and this is a problem derived from the over representation of men in every aspect od the film making industry. You unknowingly admitted yourself when you used Wonder Woman showing mercy or compassion as a womanly act. The fact that an Undersiege movie with a female lead is pathetic to you is the reason we need these movies. Maybe I've misunderstood and you're suggesting that a remake would be pathetic, certainly I would prefer more original content about women like the Angelina Jolie film Salt. The reason we don't get male remakes of sex and the city or pretty woman is because there's no demand for them, men don't need more movies aimed at men about men but women and people of colour are severely underrepresented in Hollywood.

The point is that they're not male roles. There characters that were played by men, they were presumably written as men by men but do we really think Venkman couldn't have been a woman.

You see this so often.

One minute someone says, "I don't care who plays the part, man, woman, black, white... as long as they are good!"

The next minute, "Why did the character have to be a woman/black/Chinese/gay? They really shoehorned that one in. #SJWagenda!"

The assumption is that a lead character should be a white male, unless there is a specific reason for them to be something else.

The reason we don't get male remakes of sex and the city or pretty woman is because there's no demand for them, men don't need more movies aimed at men about men

Sure, we do. If anything, I'd suggest that now, more than ever before, men need to see some strong male rolemodels which fit into this modern world. After all, all our previous rolemodels would be considered "toxic". Dirty Harry? Rambo?
    but women and people of colour are severely underrepresented in Hollywood.

I love that phrase "people of color"... and I'm curious how they're underrepresented in movies? In the US, black people or any non-white ethnic group are definitely minorities in comparison with white people. So, it would stand to reason that there would be less movies geared towards them, and yet, I can think of quite a few black actors/actresses over the last 20 years. Not the same numbers as white actors/actresses but, again, they're a minority in comparison. It's like complaining there aren't enough successful white rappers... when black rappers are clearly in the majority (not that I really know much about rap music, but we could look at Soul, R&B etc for similar).

And as for women, i do wonder at the requirements for a woman's presence to register in a movie... I've seen heaps of movies in the last decade with women in leading roles, easily as much as I've seen males in leading roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Regardless of whether I agreed with it I kind of understand where the whining was coming from with Ghostbusters and to a lesser extent Oceans 8 logically but who's been replaced in this instance exactly?

Here all we've got to go on is a picture that shows one of the main heroes of the only two good films in the entire franchise and two new characters that happen to be played by women? We already know Arnie is coming back and one of the main leads in the film is another bloke. What is the issue here?

Insecure men feeling threatened by the existence of women. Just another day on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I've seen heaps of movies in the last decade with women in leading roles, easily as much as I've seen males in leading roles.
    Well that isnt the norm.

Study from 2015
    secondary roles, females are underrepresented, comprising 29% of major characters and 30% of all speaking characters.

Study from 2017
    Despite hits including Wonder Woman and Girls Trip, out of the 100 highest-grossing films of the year, just 24% were led by women

There is also a huge disparity when it comes to age.
    Men over 40 accounted for 46% of all male characters compared to just 29% for women.

There was minor improvement in the representation of women of color. The share of black female characters rose two percentage points to 16% thanks to hits like Girls Trip, and Latinas increased from 3% to 7%. The share of Asian women rose from 6% to 7%.

So things are seemingly improving when it comes to female representation in film but there are a lot more male led films it is just a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

It will fail miserably, just like Ghost Busters and Ocean's 8. And then we get to watch the autistic screeching of the feminist, fun times.

The point is that they're not male roles. There characters that were played by men, they were presumably written as men by men but do we really think Venkman couldn't have been a woman.

I presume that you are referring to Ghostbusters? I hated the original film so I'm not the best one to ask. I have no issue with them being women.
    If your answer to that question is 'yes' then your problem is associating certain character traits with gender and this is a problem derived from the over representation of men in every aspect od the film making industry.

Is this really the case? Certain genres of film for sure (war and action particularly) but these have largely male audiences. Romcoms real life dramas and suchlike have a pretty even gender balance as far as I can see.
    You unknowingly admitted yourself when you used Wonder Woman showing mercy or compassion as a womanly act. The fact that an Undersiege movie with a female lead is pathetic to you is the reason we need these movies. Maybe I've misunderstood and you're suggesting that a remake would be pathetic, certainly I would prefer more original content about women like the Angelina Jolie film Salt.

I said she showed mercy to the MAIN FEMALE BADDIE Doctor Poison who was going to destroy the world. She had no mercy or compassion for any of the male characters. In Hollywood male and female characters alike treat male baddies with no compassion but treat equally bad or worse female characters with compassion. This is equally as ridiculous as a stereotype. I haven't seen salt but reading the plot it is a BELIEVABLE film and I'd go see it. I loved the Americans TV series and the main characters were a husband and wife and their teenage daughter. Again it was brilliantly acted and had a great storyline. In that the main female was the more ruthless of the two main characters and my favourite of all of them.
    The reason we don't get male remakes of sex and the city or pretty woman is because there's no demand for them, men don't need more movies aimed at men about men but women and people of colour are severely underrepresented in Hollywood.

But a lot of these films are not "aimed at men about men" as such ... If you make a film about historical events, many more of them are going to involve men, as lets face it, most of history has been shaped by men. If there is a genuine film about some famous historical woman (Marie Curie or Granuaile for example - now there's a great film idea with a female lead) then I'm there.

If you make a human interest film, there are going to be more women in those roles. If you make a rom com there will be more women in it.

Many of these female only films are forced. How likely is it for a group of women to get together to plot a robbery like Oceans 8?

And ... both men and women generally prefer films with men in them. Men don't generally care much for all female films and both genders generally don't care for films aimed at the opposite gender.

It will fail miserably, just like Ghost Busters and Ocean's 8. And then we get to watch the autistic screeching of the feminist, fun times.
    Oceans 8 did not fail box office wise
    Production budget $70m grossed $275m
    So if we go by 2.5 rule...thats a profit of +$100m, when it is still in cinemas.

The reviews were also pretty similar to some of the other oceans films (it was better reviewed than Oceans 12 for example).

The main problem with Ghostbusters was that it was too expensive (145m!), and the script was pretty shonky IMO nothing to do with the female cast.

I've asked you for that cite a few times now

Jesus Christ, you're like a bloody dog with a bone.. You actually made me google. :D

Luke Skywalker: "I'm not such a bad pilot myself." When the whole blow up the Death Star and the size of the target comes along: "It’ll be just like Beggar’s Canyon back home!” "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters". I remember at the time thinking that bit using metric measurements a bit odd if cool for a US film, and one that was mostly made in England. Anyway they foreshadow him hitting such a bullseye as not such a stretch, even without the force stuff.
    The only reason we're even talking about the space wizard movies is that you brought them up as an example of Hollywood culture changes and introducing a Disney princess into Star Wars. Four times you brought up Star Wars and how Rey was a Disney princess before I bit.
    Thanks for counting for me. The fact remains that you have not demonstrated how they're even close to the same as far as the hero's journey, or sheer believability goes, even in the context of a fantasy flic. What took one character a trilogy to master, another character nailed it in under one film and surpassed it in the next.
    It will fail miserably, just like Ghost Busters and Ocean's 8.
    Ghostbusters tanked alright, but Oceans 8 is in profit. No blockbuster, but a decent showing nonetheless. There's talk of a likely sequel.

If you make a rom com there will be more women in it.
    Even with regards that fairly specific genre I am not sure that is too true.
    I recommend a look at this site
    https://pudding.cool/2017/03/film-dialogue/
    There are also massive disparities when it comes to the ages of the people involved if they are a man or woman.

The below is pretty shocking.

All Films’ Dialogue, by Cast Member and Gender (2000 movies analysed)

90%+
    Male
    307 films

60% - 90%
    Male
    1206 films

Gender Parity
    +/- 10%
    314 films

60% - 90%
    Female
    164 films

90%+
    Female
    9 films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I want a woman to play Al Capone in the up coming biopic.

Tom Hardy doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jesus Christ, you're like a bloody dog with a bone.. You actually made me google. :D

Luke Skywalker: "I'm not such a bad pilot myself." When the whole blow up the Death Star and the size of the target comes along: "It’ll be just like Beggar’s Canyon back home!” "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters". I remember at the time thinking that bit using metric measurements a bit odd if cool for a US film, and one that was mostly made in England. Anyway they foreshadow him hitting such a bullseye as not such a stretch, even without the force stuff.

Thanks for counting for me. The fact remains that you have not demonstrated how they're even close to the same as far as the hero's journey, or sheer believability goes, even in the context of a fantasy flic. What took one character a trilogy to master, another character nailed it in under one film and surpassed it in the next.

Ghostbusters tanked alright, but Oceans 8 is in profit. No blockbuster, but a decent showing nonetheless. There's talk of a likely sequel.

I dunno, the actors of oceans8 are blaming 'white male reviewers' for the bad reviews and films negative reception.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

gmisk wrote: »
    Well that isnt the norm.

Study from 2017
    Despite hits including Wonder Woman and Girls Trip, out of the 100 highest-grossing films of the year, just 24% were led by women

The market prefers male led films clearly then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I dunno, the actors of oceans8 are blaming 'white male reviewers' for the bad reviews and films negative reception.

Did the race baiters ever consider that maybe their movie is just sh1te?

I want a woman to play Al Capone in the up coming biopic.

Tom Hardy doesn't do it for me.
    Tom Hardy.....between his voice as Bane and the one he seems to be doing in Venom....a woman might do a better job

• Advertisement
Advertisement