Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy After Hours Day Everybody!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I smell revolution in the air.

Mods you must quell this unrest before you're overthrown.

I think the only way to rectify the situation would be to throw an actual party for all the AHs crew at a high end Dublin niteclub, with Boards HQ picking up the tab obviously for all drinks and food.

Also, for those of us travelling up from the country, we would like to have our transport and accommodation comped.

As someone who is of this parish for many years I think my flight home should also be paid for. Sometime mid September preferably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Witchie wrote: »
    As someone who is of this parish for many years I think my flight home should also be paid for. Sometime mid September preferably.

Why not set up a gofundme page to fund our light home and share it with After Hour users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

JayZeus wrote: »
    It’s painful watching ....

Ye’re pathetic.

... Pathetic.

Why click on this thread ?
    Ok, maybe the old one was a disappointment for you, and you got angry.
    Why click on this one ?

There are loads and loads of threads that I would get angry clicking on, both in AH and elsewhere.
    There are dozens of thread I wouldn't like the content of, and where I would find posters silly or downright stupid, or worse, arrogant. I don't click.

There are loads of threads with titles that I find annoying even glancing at, but that's just that, a glance and puff ! I'm looking at something else.

How is this thread affecting anyone other than possibly being brought up to the top of the page a bit too often for someone's liking ?

How is that even a big deal ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

People like after hours but they don't like after hours style threads?

200.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    It's very funny how so many posters seem to all have lost their sense of humour on the same day !!

Cake and coffee anyone ?:p

What kind of cake. It the principle!!!!!☺️

This actually isn't the first time I landed myself in it here.
    Well once there was a thread about unwanted sexual experiences. Which lead to a bit of bother not for me.
    The other thing it lead me to do was start a petition to end a storyline in Fair City. I made almost every news site that time. Even got discussed on radio stations/TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

JayZeus wrote: »
    It’s painful watching a few terribly unfunny and deluded mods and some lick-arse users trying to chuckle/circle-jerk their way through one of the most embarrassing things to play out on boards.ie in years.

Ye’re pathetic. Badly judged but your mishandling of peoples legitimate irritation is much worse. I hope somebody at Admin/cMod level gives you a bollocking or a good slap over this.

I’m on boards since 2003 (old account) and I can honestly say I can’t remember such a cringe inducing moment up to now. Pathetic.

Your feelings hurt? Poor fella. Have the cheap vino in from Tesco. Good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

This actually isn't the first time I landed myself in it here.
    Well once there was a thread about unwanted sexual experiences. Which lead to a bit of bother not for me.
    The other thing it lead me to do was start a petition to end a storyline in Fair City. I made almost every news site that time. Even got discussed on radio stations/TV.

Have you ever browsed the cuckoos nest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    What kind of cake. It the principle!!!!!☺️

Chocolate Cake !

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    Have you ever browsed the cuckoos nest?

I did before but they wasn't much going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I haven't the foggiest idea of what this thread is supposed to be about, or why people are having meltdowns.:confused:

Am I missing something obvious.?:confused:

This is seriously mind boggling stuff.

Its not very interesting either as it does not make sense.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.huffpost.com%2Fgadgets%2Fslideshows%2F327892%2Fslide_327892_3183071_free.gif&f=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Ok this might be a really stupid question but I just can’t figure this out , was there an announcement or was it just a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I can't decide what I'm enjoying more, the confusion or the anger.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Witchie wrote: »
    Cheers!

Cheers right back atcha

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

freshpopcorn is not the hero that After Hours needs. He's the hero that After Hours deserves.

Is there a professional analyst here that might be able to decide, once and for all, what actually is being said there?

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

brevity wrote: »
    I can't decide what I'm enjoying more, the confusion or the anger.

Just sit back and enjoy both. It is an AfterHours Day tradition after all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Can we have an After Hours Week next year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

4b3d4c26993613.5703ad80c4154.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

So who's going to save the day and organise an actual AH meet up. .
    You know where real people come out from behind their screens and actually talk and interact as humans.
    I'm abstaining from organisation as my motto in life is that I'm not a leader but a very good vice captain so if any of you good commanders get something rolling I'll be there in the back seat co-piloting.

To thine own self be true

noble00 wrote: »
    Ok this might be a really stupid question but I just can’t figure this out , was there an announcement or was it just a joke
    anewme wrote: »
    I haven't the foggiest idea of what this thread is supposed to be about, or why people are having meltdowns.:confused:

Am I missing something obvious.?:confused:

This is seriously mind boggling stuff.

Its not very interesting either as it does not make sense.:confused:

Right so.
    There was supposed to be a big announcement, according to FreshPopcorn.
    Everybody's hopes were up, and curiosity piqued.

FreshPopcorn's announcement was that today was Happy AH's day.

People got very angry and said that the announcement was just not good enough, especially coming from a Mod. It was a betrayal of sorts, and the thread was crap anyway.

You see, while all this was unfolding, a group of posters started seeing the irony in it, and making Mammies and Daddies' jokes*, and posting silly gifs, just for the fun of it, so that kept the thread going a long time, it even spilled into this/a second thread.

(*as in, not good jokes)

So the thread kept going and going, and the intelligent serious posters kept reading and getting angrier and angrier, and the silly-go-lucky posters kept posting gifs and mentioning cake, and the angry posters got very cross and denounced this as pathetic. There, you have it, pa.the.tic.

And unworthy of AH, which is a notion that frankly, I find hard to define.

HTH :)

edit : oh, and Happy After Hours Day !

So who's going to save the day and organise an actual AH meet up. .
    You know where real people come out from behind their screens and actually talk and interact as humans.
    I'm abstaining from organisation as my motto in life is that I'm not a leader but a very good vice captain so if any of you good commanders get something rolling I'll be there in the back seat co-piloting.

Yes, yes, absolutely... great idea !
    source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Lets take this party to the streets! It's After Hours Day motherfeckers. (starts throwing rhubarb and custard cake in peoples faces)

If I did end up organising a meet up. I'd end up like Joan Burton in Jobstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

If I did end up organising a meet up. I'd end up like Joan Burton in Jobstown.

I'm thinking more JFK in Dallas tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

sexmag wrote: »
    i think most people are pi$$ed because they actually like after hours and boards and can see the decline its going through and were more than happy to hear something new and exciting was coming to change things around here but then to have it shoved in their face as a joke, there are maybe 10 people here who like whats happend, 10 out of 1000s.

Like an old man pub the place will stay the same, the regulars will die and eventually boards will have to succumb to the fact it will die with them

I checked the other 863 forums, and there is no sense of anyone being annoyed. All very busy as well, so I don't see why you think the place is in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

I checked the other 863 forums, and there is no sense of anyone being annoyed. All very busy as well, so I don't see why you think the place is in decline.
    There are serious issues here.
    I don't know why I typed that.
    I am about to eat chocolate and watch Star Trek.
    I may be gone some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The thing is you shouldnt fuçk around with 'official' announcements. It's like the Boy who Cried Wolf, people stop listening.

Almost starting to feel sorry for Freshpopcorn now though, the goofy simpleton.

What is annoying though, is the mods who continue to abuse confused or irritated users, they have a genuine grievance. Some people take things like this badly when they are very invested in it, and many people are on boards for hours a day. You can see a lot of people through the two threads were genuinely upset. Laugh them away or slag them if you want.

Guaranteed some of the mods will proceed to ban someone for something frivolous/ innocuous in a really thoughtless way soon though, despite they themselves trolling the users here. Excuse it as 'AH' or 'light hearted banter' if you want, but really, you should be more professional and show some more respect to the users.

There are also people of all ages here, we're not all in our 20's/ 30's. I know Graces7 for example is an auld lad living on some island. Not to speak for him - he might think this is great - but equally could have been dissapointed or confused with this after having a bad day yesterday.

trolled-definition.jpg

Ultimately, this dopey shıte gives a unique site a really amateur feel and detracts from the authority of mods, c-mods, admins etc.

Frankly, I would apologise, close this thread, and try and forget it ever happened.

• Advertisement

Yay, I finally found an appropriate AH Day anthem song

Have a good olde cry there Freshpopcorn and a continued Happy AH Day to all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Okay, in principle, I can see how announcing an "announcement" could be perceived as funny. Well sort of - it's a pretty gammy attempt at a knowing bit of meta humour really. It's lame and not all that genuinely funny.

And if you're on one side of the fence I'm sure there's LOLS to be had in watching people get wound up about a bit of "fun", but that's also a bit weak if you ask me.

If any regular user started a thread similar to this and proceeded to call those who didn't see the point of the whole LOLS whiny fcks the thread would be locked and the OP would probably be banned. But this all seems to be a relative free for all for the mods involved. What's going on, I thought you guys were supposed to be a little bit more grown up than this?

After Hours isn't as much fun or even as interesting as it used to be : wall to wall threads about divisive issues are zero craic to read through. But this attempt to reclaim this "fun" ethos of the place is just stupid at best and downright condescending and disrespectful towards the user base at worst. I'd rather the tinfoil hat brigade banging on about Feminazis than this painfully sad stuff.

And speaking of the tinfoil hat brigade: I would have previously said that the perception of" cliques" in AH and over zealous Mods all was solely the preserve of the tragic and maladjusted, but this thread and the one that preceded it stinks so badly of in-jokes and the in-crowd, that even though it's a "joke", I can't help but think it's a depressing reflection on the spirit of this place.

Enjoy your day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Arghus wrote: »
    After Hours isn't as much fun or even as interesting as it used to be : wall to wall threads about divisive issues are zero craic to read through.

You can see variations of this old chestnut every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You can see variations of this old chestnut every year.

Yup. And it gets more and more true every passing year.

Just a note to J Mysterio I did say in the previous thread thst not everybody was going to like the announcement. They had plenty of notice not to excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Okay, in principle, I can see how announcing an "announcement" could be perceived as funny. Well sort of -

1446476057134265877.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just cracked open a beer to celebrate AH day. Same as every Friday so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just a note to J Mysterio I did say in the previous thread thst not everybody was going to like the announcement. They had plenty of notice not to excited.

Yeah, that just doesn't cut it i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

You can't really pre-ordain people's reactions though. It's like prefacing saying something offensive by saying "this might be offensive so don't get offended" and then being surprised when people actually get offended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You tried to have a joke under the guise of an official announcement. Then mods started threatening people with bans for reporting you for trolling, which is exactly what you where at.

You then in turn started telling the user base they are whingers and they should leave the site.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Yeah, that just doesn't cut it i'm afraid.

Sometimes kids are told they might be disappointed on Christmas morning if they had high expectations.
    I did the same thing here people were giving warning they may not be happy. No matter what the was some people wouldn't be happy.

Okay, in principle, I can see how announcing an "announcement" could be perceived as funny. Well sort of - it's a pretty gammy attempt at a knowing bit of meta humour really. It's lame and not all that genuinely funny.

And if you're on one side of the fence I'm sure there's LOLS to be had in watching people get wound up about a bit of "fun", but that's also a bit weak if you ask me.

If any regular user started a thread similar to this and proceeded to call those who didn't see the point of the whole LOLS whiny fcks the thread would be locked and the OP would probably be banned. But this all seems to be a relative free for all for the mods involved. What's going on, I thought you guys were supposed to be a little bit more grown up than this?

After Hours isn't as much fun or even as interesting as it used to be : wall to wall threads about divisive issues are zero craic to read through. But this attempt to reclaim this "fun" ethos of the place is just stupid at best and downright condescending and disrespectful towards the user base at worst. I'd rather the tinfoil hat brigade banging on about Feminazis than this painfully sad stuff.

And speaking of the tinfoil hat brigade: I would have previously said that the perception of" cliques" in AH and over zealous Mods all was solely the preserve of the tragic and maladjusted, but this thread and the one that preceded it stinks so badly
    of in-jokes and the in-crowd, that even though it's a "joke", I can't help but think it's a depressing reflection on the spirit of this place.

Enjoy your day.

I really don’t get the seriousness stance people have taken on this. I respect it but don’t understand it.

Even in the announcement thread it was treated as a p1ss take by many.

If you have been monitoring Feedback forum and the AH Discussion thread over the last 6 months, you’ll know that AH is likely to split out it’s serious and fun threads into 2 separate forums- at least as a 6 month pilot.
    This sort of nonsense is probably the start of it.

I don’t like freshpopcorn simply because they didn’t thank me and call me out in the OP for the girth I achieved with my batons.
    But I don’t hold a grudge. Hasn’t stopped me being a fool since and contributing Shiite. Popcorn boy has got a major ribbing today- can ye not give him a break now?

Btw, whatcha think? Would ya like a bite of my baton?
    french_bread_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

We should do this every year. Or to annoy the people more, every 11 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Make it a date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I had a great day so far. Lots could have to but they choose to go down the moaning route but I suppose that's how they are happiest.

I've probably had a better day than you but nothing to do with AH day :D

So tell us, because you havent given any indication so far, what have you actually done today to mark AH day. Did you make and decorate cakes, hang bunting and balloons, discussed boards at the water cooler...... Pics to prove

All this talk, no info and not a single picture posted to prove anyone is actually celebrating anything to do with this cringefest

• Advertisement

You tried to have a joke under the guise of an official announcement. Then mods started threatening people with bans for reporting you for trolling, which is exactly what you where at.

You then in turn started telling the user base they are whingers and they should leave the site.

It wasn't a joke it was to see how people react news. Which lead to some people having a wonderful day.
    We have now learnt those who take this site a tad to seriously and those who don't.
    For example: Lots learnt I am a clown who can't spell and is thick.

Seve OB wrote: »

So tell us, because you havent given any indication so far, what have you actually done today to mark AH day. Did you make and decorate cakes, hang bunting and balloons, discussed boards at the water cooler...... Pics to prove

All this talk, no info and not a single picture posted to prove anyone is actually celebrating anything to do with this cringefest

In addition to AH Day 2018 which is tipped to win the boards.ie Rasberry lifetime achievement award in December, can we have a freshpopcorn AMA to finish out the evening? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It wasn't a joke it was to see how people react news. Which lead to some people having a wonderful day.
    We have now learnt those who take this site a tad to seriously and those who don't.
    For example: Lots learnt I am a clown who can't spell and is thick.

Who? Who has had a wonderful day today because of AH day?

You really are a bit immature aren't you

I am actually a farmer and do odd jobs as well. So I don't have a water cooler. I used the office as an example in the post.
    I did my work and bought all the ingredients to go baking. So, in just had a doughnut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I know right?

I was expecting a parade. Nothing.

Well they say pride started small. And paddy’s day in the US.

In a few years I can see AH day bring bigger than either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement