Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy fines every night your dog barks in a populated area?

• 10-08-2018 12:59am

I've moved twice in this city because of dogs and while my new place has been lovely and quiet, for some reason a dog has been going crazy all night. First time I've had this problem in seven months.

It reminds me of how awful life was with bad sleep. The difference in every aspect of your life is crazy. I've been awake since 2am because of it, it's near 7am now and I'm in work in an hour with a busy day and a lot of coding to do this evening.

I wouldn't say this neighbour deserves a fine but people with dogs who consistently bark should be given enormous fines. Like 100euro a night or something. If they don't want to pay, they can stay up with their dog and keep it quiet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

You're aware dogs will bark for a lot of reasons,mainly because a cat is on the wall or someone is making noise near the house, even a dog walked all day will still bark at these things, fining owners without knowing the circumstances is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm scourged with three dogs at my rear barking day and night, poor little things.

I love dogs and have two of my own, so I can't understand how some people can not include them as part of the family and leave them out the bark to bark all day.

Poor little things <3

sexmag wrote: »
    You're aware dogs will bark for a lot of reasons,mainly because a cat is on the wall or someone is making noise near the house, even a dog walked all day will still bark at these things, fining owners without knowing the circumstances is wrong

I'm specifically talking about dogs who just bark all night, every night. I've had it twice really bad and those owners should be fined or the dogs taken away.

The alternative is to have zero repercussions for affecting dozens of people and I don't think that's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Sure where is a dog supposed to come up with that sort of cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no idea why the human need for a load of dogs in built up areas?

I like dogs, but don't feel the need to have one as a pet. I have had the scourge of them barking too, and as a shift worker, it wasn't always night time barking that was the problem.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong Ads by Google, but if you were really, really, really, tired like.... would you be bothered by a dog barking?

I started to feel really really really tired just before I had to leave the house, because I had a dog barking from 2am. Now, I'm on lunch and I'm totally fuked.

Are you really implying that no one has problems with noise because they can just sleep if they're tired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Don't get me wrong Ads by Google, but if you were really, really, really, tired like.... would you be bothered by a dog barking?

Yes. Some people are just bothered by the sound of a dog barking itself hoarse. It will wake me even if I am sleeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I've moved twice in this city because of dogs and while my new place has been lovely and quiet, for some reason a dog has been going crazy all night. First time I've had this problem in seven months.

What about contacting the residents association? What are the views of other nearby neighbours?

bobbyss wrote: »
    What about contacting the residents association? What are the views of other nearby neighbours?

It's Vietnam. No one cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Considering this new information regarding your location, have you thought about eating it?

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    Considering this new information regarding your location, have you thought about eating it?

I wanted to sell those other dogs to restaurants, but as I say, I'm not mad at my neighbour or their dog since it was a once-off. It just reminded me of how shlt my life was when I could never get a good sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

https://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm

A few quid, but maybe worth it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I agree, OP, it's horrible. I am a light sleeper, plus if I don't sleep well I feel like I have been injected with poison the next day! Here is rural but a barking dog in the distance will wake me, and last week for 2 nights in a row a dog barking followed by his master cursing long and aggressively at him into the still night air finished my sleep at 2 am for the night. I could cheerfully have strangled both. Why have an animal if you are going to abuse it like that? To be out on the hill in the middle of the night roaring filthy abuse at a poor creature is almost psychopathic.
    Once my nearest neighbours went on holidays for a week and left their dog in a sheep trailer. Another neighbour came and threw food into it every couple of days. The dog barked non-stop for a week, it was outrageous. I could not report it as to make trouble with neighbours in such a rural place is a serious issue. But I have no time for those people anymore and am passingly polite to them, nothing more. I have always had dogs until my last dog died, and even though I am not a tactile rubby-rubby licky-licky doggy-person, I would not have them treated with anything less than affection. If your dog barks repeatedly at night, bring it into the house and mind it - otherwise, don't keep a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

No problem, just pick the dog up and put it in your garden, see how they like it.

All jokes aside I used to live right beside what must have been one of the worst dogs for barking in all of Ireland. It would sleep only for 15 minutes max then spend hours barking day and night. This was a big dog and when it barked you could feel it. I clocked this dog barking 800+ times in a single hour, spent years having to sleep on the sofa as I couldn't sleep in my bedroom at the back of the house. Owners were stereotypical anti social council rats who walked the dog maybe once or twice a year.

The legal process to deal with a barking dog in Ireland is lengthy and antiquated which is a shame, these dogs can be the f*****g scourge of an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

It reminds me of how awful life was with bad sleep. The difference in every aspect of your life is crazy. I've been awake since 2am because of it, it's near 7am now and I'm in work in an hour with a busy day and a lot of coding to do this evening.

I wouldn't say this neighbour deserves a fine but people with dogs who consistently bark should be given enormous fines. Like 100euro a night or something. If they don't want to pay, they can stay up with their dog and keep it quiet.

Best of luck policing & enforcing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's Vietnam. No one cares.

Vietnam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Malayalam wrote: »
    I agree, OP, it's horrible. I am a light sleeper, plus if I don't sleep well I feel like I have been injected with poison the next day! Here is rural but a barking dog in the distance will wake me, and last week for 2 nights in a row a dog barking followed by his master cursing long and aggressively at him into the still night air finished my sleep at 2 am for the night. I could cheerfully have strangled both. Why have an animal if you are going to abuse it like that? To be out on the hill in the middle of the night roaring filthy abuse at a poor creature is almost psychopathic.
    Once my nearest neighbours went on holidays for a week and left their dog in a sheep trailer. Another neighbour came and threw food into it every couple of days. The dog barked non-stop for a week, it was outrageous. I could not report it as to make trouble with neighbours in such a rural place is a serious issue. But I have no time for those people anymore and am passingly polite to them, nothing more. I have always had dogs until my last dog died, and even though I am not a tactile rubby-rubby licky-licky doggy-person, I would not have them treated with anything less than affection. If your dog barks repeatedly at night, bring it into the house and mind it - otherwise, don't keep a dog.

disagree strongly.

I have always reported animal abuse and I am deep rural.

Speak to the owner first... then report

Poor critters deserve better treatment than this and no sympathy if you do nothing.

forward8 wrote: »
    No problem, just pick the dog up and put it in your garden, see how they like it.

All jokes aside I used to live right beside what must have been one of the worst dogs for barking in all of Ireland. It would sleep only for 15 minutes max then spend hours barking day and night. This was a big dog and when it barked you could feel it. I clocked this dog barking 800+ times in a single hour, spent years having to sleep on the sofa as I couldn't sleep in my bedroom at the back of the house. Owners were stereotypical anti social council rats who walked the dog maybe once or twice a year.

The legal process to deal with a barking dog in Ireland is lengthy and antiquated which is a shame, these dogs can be the f*****g scourge of an area.

That must have been a nightmare. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note
    Don't encourage animal abuse!

Graces7 wrote: »
    disagree strongly.

I have always reported animal abuse and I am deep rural.

Speak to the owner first... then report

Poor critters deserve better treatment than this and no sympathy if you do nothing.

Of course they deserve better, the poor things. But I prioritise my privacy, invisibility and peace, and I am not interested in going to war with people. Have seen too much of that with others to know it is just a recipe for bad vibes non-stop. Not my desired life choice.

• Advertisement

forward8 wrote: »

actually it is remarkably easy. Look at EPA and environmental health at your council ... I have successfully dealt with it ..

Malayalam wrote: »
    Of course they deserve better, the poor things. But I prioritise my privacy, invisibility and peace, and I am not interested in going to war with people. Have seen too much of that with others to know it is just a recipe for bad vibes non-stop. Not my desired life choice.

Your choice and not one I would make. And it is not going to war. Might be a little uncomfortable initially but so what?

It is the dog who is suffering. That is what matters.

Last place I rented catttle by me were being half starved and the attitide you expressed was all I heard here.

Then I had a deputation from concerned people re the cattle. Called the dept of ag and there was very swift action taken as the abuse was appalling.

There are official bodies to deal with this; and you can report anonymously?

as for peace?

There are official bodies to deal with this; and you can report anonymously?

as for peace?

In my experience their no such thing of reporting something anonymously.

Regarding reporting the dog to the ICPCA/etc once they have water/bit of food. Some kind of shelter. They don't really do much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's a very Irish problem because so many dogs are just left outside. I lived in the UK for many years & you don't hear dogs barking because they are in the house. Owners have an amazing ability to be deaf to their own dogs.

In my experience their no such thing of reporting something anonymously.

Regarding reporting the dog to the ICPCA/etc once they have water/bit of food. Some kind of shelter. They don't really do much.

The law has changed & owners have to provide for their dogs, including interaction. The problem is that the Guards aren't interested in enforcing animal law & leave it to the ISPCA & local SPCAs who have no legal authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Or get a turtle

Discodog wrote: »
    The law has changed & owners have to provide for their dogs, including interaction. The problem is that the Guards aren't interested in enforcing animal law & leave it to the ISPCA & local SPCAs who have no legal authority.

A lot of it hard to prove though.
    I know lots of people who bring their dogs on walks/etc but at night time he/she is left out with some kind of box because he is seen as the Guard dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

[/B]

actually it is remarkably easy. Look at EPA and environmental health at your council ... I have successfully dealt with it ..

That's odd. I visited the guards, the dog warden and the council and all 3 pointed out my only option for dealing with a barking dog was district court. I even recall a part of the council website which explicitly stated they do not deal with barking dogs?

I do believe you can get someone from the council (perhaps who you are talking about?) to measure the noise level from the dog but that's to strengthen your court case with proof etc.

The reason I think the system sucks is because you have to inform the neighbor about their own barking dog, in my case the scumbags living beside me became fairly hostile. then requiring to tell them I intend on taking them to court in writing only exacerbates the situation.

While I know guards don't have the resources, I actually like the American system for dealing with these complaints, having a police officer knocking at their door allows you to maintain at least some anonymity and might be enough of a kick in the arse or wake up call for them to cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Dog owners' lack of consideration for their neighbours these days is really disturbing. There's two dogs in our estate that just bark at the sight of a mote of dust and no matter how many times you ask the owners to take their dogs in at night because they're disturbing peace and sleep, the dog will be out again the next night doing the same thing. Even during the day you can hear at least four different dogs around the area that have been left outside all day while the owner goes to work, and they constantly bark all day. It's irritating.

There really needs to be stricter laws regarding owners and their noisy dogs that disturb the peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Dogs bark for numerous reasons.. its their only form of communictaion

HOWEVER insistent barking is usually due to strange noises, cats, rats, birds, shadows... the way to STOP this is just have your dog sleeping indoors... simple.

its unfair on the dog (they are obliviously upset) and equally unfair on anyone who is subjected to the noise. I have a dog myself and adore dogs... he sleeps in my kitchen, is only outside in the garden when he needs to go to the toilet otherwise hes indoors (or out with me for walks) - there is never a peep out of him.

its not the difficult except most dog owners couldn't care less.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Dogs bark for numerous reasons.. its their only form of communictaion

HOWEVER insistent barking is usually due to strange noises, cats, rats, birds, shadows... the way to STOP this is just have your dog sleeping indoors... simple.

its unfair on the dog (they are obliviously upset) and equally unfair on anyone who is subjected to the noise. I have a dog myself and adore dogs... he sleeps in my kitchen, is only outside in the garden when he needs to go to the toilet otherwise hes indoors (or out with me for walks) - there is never a peep out of him.

its not the difficult except most dog owners couldn't care less.

But also many Irish people have this ignorant belief that the dog is happier outdoors. I live in the countryside & I have had people say that I shouldn't keep my dogs in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm neither here nor there on dogs, I don't have any.

But I'd buy myself some ear plugs before I go about moving .

Has no one heard of earplugs at all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Or get a turtle

Some smell off them!

We could always enforce the removal of voice boxes of dogs, and maybe of their owners to, should solve the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

sexmag wrote: »
    fining owners without knowing the circumstances is wrong

why? It's their dog, their dog is barking, hence it's their fault -> fine them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

cat owners let cats roam far to often, its a huge problem in areas where there are dogs, cat owners should be held responsible more for their cats whereabouts.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I'm neither here nor there on dogs, I don't have any.

But I'd buy myself some ear plugs before I go about moving .

Has no one heard of earplugs at all.....

Ear plugs are no way to live. Have you ever worn them for a considerable length of time? I wore them for a year and my ears ached. No pair I got even got rid off all the noise anyways.

And just so some people can have an animal they don't care about? Nah, fine them or take the dog away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ear plugs are no way to live. Have you ever worn them for a considerable length of time? I wore them for a year and my ears ached. No pair I got even got rid off all the noise anyways.

Ear plugs are cat but keep experimenting with different types, I'm slowly finding some I like, custom fit may need to be considered. Complete noise cancelling plugs probably don't exist

I have heard of people using apps such as rain apps to cancel out the noise from outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They can't even fine people with straying dogs or people who don't bother picking up their own dog's sh!t after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Dogs are treated like sh1t in this country. It's depressing as hell. They're such mindlessly loving creatures by nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no idea why the human need for a load of dogs in built up areas?

Humanity's relationship with dogs goes back to before we lived in built up areas, before we even began to practice agriculture; it is a fairly primordial instinct, a bit much to expect everyone to be able to abandon it in the over the past couple of hundred years when the population started moving to towns in earnest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

There should be laws for who can own pets, wanna be pet owners should be given a tamagotchi for six months to see if they're fit to care for an animal, I feel that there is many animal owners who would be incapable of even this. The problem in Ireland is that dogs are seen as being a simple/easy pet to look after, when in reality they actually require quite a lot more attention then many other pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

xckjoo wrote: »
    Dogs are treated like sh1t in this country. It's depressing as hell. They're such mindlessly loving creatures by nature.

People just buy dogs to please their kids, to have as 'accessories', as a surrogate child or to make them feel good about themselves regardless of whether they have space for them, or time to care for or exercise them.

Heaps of abandoned dogs after Xmas, in spite of all the warnings.

People still buying from puppy farms and keeping this illegal trade in business.

It's pretty grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Sure where is a dog supposed to come up with that sort of cash?

In a dog pound :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

If we're bringing in fines for dogs - screaming babies and noisy brats should be next.

Advertisement