Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinder Upgrade, what would you have

• 10-08-2018 9:20am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a grinder upgrade, right now i am using a basic Graef CM 800 burr grinder i picked up a couple of years back as it was recommended as a good entry one. budget is the 500 euro mark give or take

main use will be espresso/aeropress. at the moment it's 100% aeropress, home and work. at Christmas i'm looking at a rocket espresso unit, so home use will be that, but i grind a batch of coffee every day to bring to work for aeropress so it will remain a healthy mix of both.

i was looking at the MAHLKÖNIG Vario, but on another forum i was told it maybe a bit of a compromise, and a proper espresso grinder would be better. suggested i look at Ceado, Fiorenzato and Anfim. all are new to me.

any recommendations on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Using the aeropress every day in work. Got a gaggia classic at home with a crappy grinder and hoping to upgrade the espresso machine as soon as I have saved up.

I mulled over a new grinder for a long time. A lot of people might recommend a second hand professional grinder like a Mazzer but I dont think they are suitable for home use. There is retention with those things and sizewise they are not suited to be sitting in most kitchens.

After a lot of research, I ended up buying a grinder from an Indiegogo kickstarter project. They have just gone into production and should arrive in September. Its a single dosing, zero retention 63 mm conical burr grinder.

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/

There is a big thread on it over of coffee forums UK

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?39577-Niche-Grinder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Compak K3 Touch Advanced last year after a couple of years with a Rancilio Rocky, doserless. Rocky being a "stepped" grinder.

Difference was tremendous. Stepless is critical.
    Used to think that guys talking about new fresh beans needing grinder adjustment.....damn! they're right :) With my Compak I can adjust perfectly. Makes a big difference in the shot, speed and crema.

Gaggia Classic. It's grand. Does what it says on the tin. Slow, temp surfing but so what.

Advertisement