Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing Sunglasses on your head

• 10-08-2018 11:48am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When did wearing sunglasses on your head become the norm? When not wearing my shades I usually slot them into my shirt ot t-shirt at the front and only occasionally wear them on my head.

I know for sure that back in the 1980s when I was a kid that wearing sunglasses on your head was common amongst women - my mum and her friends all did it but back then you never saw men do it. Now it's very common among men. When did that happen?

Do you do it? What do you think of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The glasses indicate the spot where you should slap them hard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did you, as an Irish person, just use the word sunnies? Morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Are they not supposed to go on your head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Two things about sunglasses

1. Those the size of dinner plates should be banned

2. People that wear them when talking to you should be banned, especially those with mirror lenses, like w t actual f, take them off ffs, if I wanted to see myself talking I'd look in a mirror, plus I cant see your eyes, they tell me a lot about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I do it but it's because I wear polarised sunglasses & when i walk into a house/driving I push them up on my head as it's very dark otherwise. And then promptly forget about them being there if the sun doesn't come back out. I get affected by sun glare quite badly due to laser years ago so try to have them with me at all times when it's sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Will those little Glasses straps/cords/lanards ever come back in to fashion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Using the term 'sunnies' is a far worse crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Michael O'Leary loves the old sunglasses on his head
    olearymichael-head.jpg
    Me i always felt it looked silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a code. Everyone who does it is a swinger into anonymous bareback gangbangs. Just ask them if you don't believe me.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's a code. Everyone who does it is a swinger into anonymous bareback gangbangs. Just ask them if you don't believe me.

I knew it!! I suspected just as much...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I dunno. Seems like an easy place to put them if you're only going to be taking them off briefly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Name : Caoimhe
    Car : Mini Cooper
    Footwear : Ugg boots
    Beverage : Starbucks Frappuchino
    Wears glasses: On her head, not on her eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I wear my sunglasses at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

No, that's the ones who put them on the back of their head like cricketers in the field do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

No, that's the ones who put them on the back of their head like cricketers in the field do.

No, that’s not the gang bangers. That’s the masons.
    Easily confused though but a bit awkward when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I wear them on my nipples.

No, that’s not the gang bangers. That’s the masons.
    Easily confused though but a bit awkward when it happens.

I must have met a very frisky Mason so!

I wear them on my nipples.

Pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tzardine wrote: »
    I wear my sunglasses at night.

Thought only the Terminator wears sunglasses at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always thought it was sort of an old man thing to do when people put glasses into their shirt pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Did you, as an Irish person, just use the word sunnies? Morto.

Sorry...senior moment there. :o Duly amended to "shades.":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pics or GTFO!

10 euro for one, 20 euro for 5 so you can share them with your friends. Sunglasses not included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, are you my dad (91)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

As a child in the 80s I thought women who wore their sunglasses on their heads were so cool:). I hang mine out of the neck of my top when going in anywhere. That's if I even remember to take them off being prescription sunglasses, and if I have forgotten my normal glasses I will have to put them on to read a label or something in a shop. Thankfully I am at the stage in life where I couldn't give a sh1t what anyone thinks of me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

vicwatson wrote: »
    Two things about sunglasses

1. Those the size of dinner plates should be banned

2. People that wear them when talking to you should be banned, especially those with mirror lenses, like w t actual f, take them off ffs, if I wanted to see myself talking I'd look in a mirror, plus I cant see your eyes, they tell me a lot about you.
    Agree completely with the second one there and add people who wear them in the pub. When I ran pubs in Sydney I had a no sunglassses rule indoors after about 5pm. The abuse I got from some people was nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I used to hang mine of the neck of my shirt until I got back to the car, after shopping in Tesco & realised they were no longer there. Luckily an employee had retrieved them from a chiller. So easy for them to fall out when you lean forward.

The OP forgets a key factor. Back in the day, when you washed your hair once a week, your shades would be covered in grease if you put them near your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

I would say that the late Gillian Bowler of Budget Travel fame would be most recognised for sunglasses on head. Remember seeing her back in the 80s wearing them in such a fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I don't wear on my head but I have no problem with it. While on holiday the last few years I have noticed men wearing their glasses on their forehead.
    Now that is just silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't do it purely because people keep being so critical of people who do. I don't really understand the criticism but it seems to have become a thing. So I go through the bother of constantly putting them away instead of doing the most logical and convenient thing which is to put them on my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I saw a man in a cafe recently and he had his sunglasses on the back of his head, he was bald and it looked so freaky!. Like an egg wearing sunglasses:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

During the recent spate of sunny weather, I took to sticking them on my head when I was briefly going in out of the sun and wanted to be able to see indoors. They would then promptly go back on my eyes. If I had known such behavior was a crime akin to having the arse of your jeans down around your knees, I would have quickly changed my ways!

Imo - it's not nearly as bad as wearing them across your forehead so that a quick twitch of your nose causes them to fall perfectly into position. People doing this really need a good threshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I used to work near a woman who had them permanently on her head, whatever the weather. They had clearly taken the placeof a hairband for her.
    I'm known in my circle of friends for hating the practice so much that last year on my birthday 2 of them posed for selfies outside my house with sunglasses on their heads 👿😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

That pri5k Brendan O Carroll wears reading glasses on his bald head. I'd love to smash them down hard.

Advertisement