Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More baby girls being born in recent years?

• 10-08-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice that more girls are being born lately compared with boys? I have read that chemicals and hormones in our food and environment result in a higher ratio of female:male sperm. Don't know how true that is, but all I know is I work in an office with 10 men, 7 of them have kids between the ages of 6 months and 6 years old  - 13 kids in total, and everyone is a girl. And its the same with friends outside work, they all seem to be having girls.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

my family is cursed or blessed i have no nieces only nephews (roughly 14 at this stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some stats would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Juran wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that more girls are being born lately compared with boys? I have read that chemicals and hormones in our food and environment result in a higher ratio of female:male sperm. Don't know how true that is, but all I know is I work in an office with 10 men, 7 of them have kids between the ages of 6 months and 6 years old - 13 kids in total, and everyone is a girl. And its the same with friends outside work, they all seem to be having girls.

Suits me grand.

In 20 odd years horny little 21-year old feckers will have to lower their standards to ould wizened-willy-wielders like meself (If I'm still alive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Some stats would help.
    fergus1001 wrote: »
    my family is cursed or blessed i have no nieces only nephews (roughly 14 at this stage)
    Juran wrote: »
    13 kids in total, and everyone is a girl

So far this thread has 14 boys and 13 girls.
    Are these the stats you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

No, I have no stats .... just observation from work colleagues and friends / relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

No, I have no stats .... just observation from work colleagues and friends / relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hasmunch wrote: »
    So far this thread has 14 boys and 13 girls.
    Are these the stats you meant?

Something more empirical like this*
    Live Births 2015

There were 65,536 live births in 2015 comprising of 33,480 males and 32,056 females. The corresponding total for 2014 was 67,295. The birth rate in 2015 was 14.0 per 1,000 population, 0.6 lower than the corresponding birth rate in 2014, which was 14.6 per 1,000 of the population. See tables 2.1a, 2.3 and 2.21.

*amazingly the CSO has not published detailed figures since 2015

edit - found them
    There were 62,053 births registered in 2017, 31,855 male births and 30,198 female births, a decrease of 1,844 on 2016. The 2017 total is 12.1% lower than in 2007 when 70,620 births were registered.

Btw if the birth rate has fallen 12% in a decade we could be in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I assume your not talking about China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Something more empirical like this*

*amazingly the CSO has not published detailed figures since 2015

Excuse me, my "research show a ratio of 1.08 boys to every girl and the CSO figure shows the ratio to be 1.04 boys to every girl, so not that far out.

I should really get this "research" published, even if the CSOs sample size is a tad bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

in my circle of friends, over the last 5 years its -

11 boys
    1 girl

in my family its 6 boys and 2 girls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement