Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tea bags aren't compostable

• 10-08-2018 1:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

The bags are made of plastic. People just throw them in the compost bin without thinking. No one seems to realise it so just felt like saying it.

Am I right

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have been throwing them in my compost for years. I am not sure what the actual bags are made of.
    All I can say to you for sure is that I have never seen the bags themselves stay intact in my soil. So I believe that they are indeed biodegradable. Obviously the tea leaves break down OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This story goes back to 2010. There's a tiny amount of polypropylene in each bag, from how they are sealed, but they should still be composted as opposed to thrown in the general waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some are and some aren't.
    The bin company told us we can put them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You are correct. Also, Tetra Pack is not recycled in Ireland - it goes straight into the incinerator despite us being asked to separate it.

Coffee cups too - not recycled !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pain in my hole with this composting bin nonsense. Swarms of flies everywhere anytime you lift the lid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement