Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryborough Ridge

Options
  • 10-08-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Lads I'm moving from Dublin to Cork and am considering renting a place in Maryborough Ridge, Maryborough hill, Douglas.

What's the area like? Would it be safe enough? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its a good area of the City.

Its under 5 mins in a car to Douglas, about 10 mins to the Tunnel and Mahon Point.

Theres a bus route up there, I think its the 220 that runs from Carrigaline and on to Douglas and into Town all the way out to Ballincollig.

Few of my mates were renting up there and working in Ringaskiddy and enjoyed it, it really depends on your commute but it helps to have a car up there, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Few of my friends rented there but a word of caution if you need to commute across Douglas village to get home at peak times like 8am 1pm 5pm be prepared for long traffic ques. My friends used rather wait on their parents house an extra 1/2 hours before tackling that traffic regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

It's a grand area except you really need a car as there are no services or supermarkets etc. nearly. Nearest is Douglas which is a 20 min walk down the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

rf1980 wrote:
    It's a grand area except you really need a car as there are no services or supermarkets etc. nearly. Nearest is Douglas which is a 20 min walk down the hill

There is a local shop, chemist, dentist, GP, hair dresser and barber just across the road from Maryborough Ridge in Broadale.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll be working in north of the city & herself will be studying in UCC. Both of us have decided that area is more important than commute, within reason. Any area's anyone would recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll be working in north of the city & herself will be studying in UCC. Both of us have decided that area is more important than commute, within reason. Any area's anyone would recommend?

Blarney might an option

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

City center.
    Sunday's Well.
    Turner's Cross.
    Ballyphehane.

All close to UCC and city.

I really don't see why you would want to live in a housing estate with few facilities that's not close to either of your work/study places.
    It would be perfectly safe, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Friend of mine moved in with his gf in Maryborough Woods (the other side of the golf course from Maryborough Ridge) and hated the place cause in his words it was a desolate housing estate that made you dependent on a car.

Any of the areas in the above post would be grand, live in Shandon myself & think it's a great location (as long as you don't mind lots of bell ringing!).

opus wrote:
    Friend of mine moved in with his gf in Maryborough Woods (the other side of the golf course from Maryborough Ridge) and hated the place cause in his words it was a desolate housing estate that made you dependent on a car.

The poor guy must have never noticed the Bus Eireann 216 service that runs straight through that park at least 3 times an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

City center.
    Sunday's Well.
    Turner's Cross.
    Ballyphehane.

All close to UCC and city.

I really don't see why you would want to live in a housing estate with few facilities that's not close to either of your work/study places.
    It would be perfectly safe, though.

If by area more important you are concerned what people think then Rochestowm which includes the Marlborough estates is a snobby area favoured by pretensious people. So it might suit you.
    Your colleagues are bound to be fierce impressed. If you tell them you reside in Rochestowm

But as others have said you will be living in a sprawling delolate overpriced housing estate with few facilities and will need a car. And astounded that anyone going to college in UCC or working on North side would want to live there given that traffic and commuting will be a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Bishopstown or Ballincollig might be better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Also try Shanakiel or the Lee road,just from the commute point of view.

Nice estate and a nice area. Douglas, which is a 15 minute walk down the hill, is a fine spot with a village feel, lots of facilities and good night life.

But there is no getting away from the fact that the traffic is an absolute dose. Getting on or off the link road is a pain in the backside at peak times.

I would look into Ballincollig or Bishopstown as alternatives, but it depends on what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Sorry to hijack thread...
    Does anyone know what roadworks are beginning at the front of maryborough ridge?

lfc200 wrote:
    Sorry to hijack thread... Does anyone know what roadworks are beginning at the front of maryborough ridge?

The long awaited road widening project and the use of the roundabout behind the ditch opposite the Moneygurney junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

Six month job

Traffic chaos for the duration

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Thanks...

So the front ditch and majority of the current green area at the front of maryborough ridge will be taken over by the road?
    Knew there was plans for that roundabout to be brought into use at some stage alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That Roundabout was also originally supposed to provide access to the N28 but residents complained about it.

They’ll end up doing an N7 / M20 junction on it and complain the other way when they realise what a loss it is.

lfc200 wrote:
    So the front ditch and majority of the current green area at the front of maryborough ridge will be taken over by the road? Knew there was plans for that roundabout to be brought into use at some stage alright...

lfc200 wrote:
    Thanks...

Yes a lot of the green will be gone alright the road will be as wide as the road further down by Lissadelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Why_oh_why wrote: »
    Six month job

Traffic chaos for the duration

I love the way they start these jobs coming up to September

• Advertisement

Dbu wrote:
    I love the way they start these jobs coming up to September

To be fair, this is not the contractors fault, they wanted to start that job at the start of July but those that they are doing the job for dragged their heals.

Advertisement