Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Walls Street Art Festival.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

This August one of Ireland’s oldest cities Waterford will welcome back the annual International Street Art festival, Waterford Walls.

Presented by the Waterford Walls Project, the street art festival will see founder Edel Tobin and her amazing team welcome some 50 international and national artists to Waterford to transform the city over the duration of the summer festival into one large outdoor gallery.

Invited street artists will be painting live right across the city over the weekend of the 23rd to the 26th August, transforming derelict and unloved locations with their works of art.

Now in its fourth year, the festival has grown to become Ireland’s largest Street Art festival making Waterford the destination of choice in Ireland for national and international street art enthusiast looking for a street art fix while visiting Ireland.

And for those of you traveling to Waterford, the 2018 edition looks set to be the largest edition of the festival yet running for a whole 10 days in August from 17th-26th August with workshops, art jams, expert panel talks, art and music trails accompanying the street artists at work on murals around the city.

Irish Street Artist Lebas Mural in Waterford, Ireland. Photo ©Hookedblog

Hookedblog in Waterford, Ireland.

Hookedblog traveled to Waterford last year for our first visit to the festival spending a number of days photographing the street artworks around the city from previous years along with the visiting artist at work. We enjoyed our visit to the city so much that we are planning a return to Waterford again this August. Take a look below at a selection of the photographs we took during our city visit last year.

https://www.facebook.com/waterfordwalls.ie/?hc_ref=ARSkc_XTIPTLPwQdYvVkFBne-gJd4qNWIPmJ3c9DzHVOKF69WWUvtD_Ia6dh9vQRHIU&fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

Waterford Walls has been such a great idea and success. Love some of the murals around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Its fantastic, i always say Waterford needs colour and it doesn't get much bettter than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

We're just back from a week in Waterford and were in the city 3 or 4 times over that period. It was really great to see the Waterford walls, there really are some very nice pieces up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is the Ard Ri site part of it? I only ask because what they have there now is low key to the point of almost invisible. Something striking really could be done up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Haven't seen much so far but side of news and star is f'ing brilliant...amazing work...sorry no pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Here are two from the weekend.

20180818_161146.jpg

20180818_153908.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Saw that second one by the Apple Market today Kracken. It's superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They have really upped their game this year some serious work been painted around the town,best festival in Waterford in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fair play to the organisers of this festival, what a brilliant idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

How does it work lads? Are the artist paid few bob to do it or is the promotion there after. Twas great idea and some of them are absolutely brilliant. Fair play to the organisers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder who owns the work itself?
    Who owns the copyright on such work?

If the building is renovated and painted, would that mean destruction of 'a work of art'?

Presumably the copyright if there is any (it could be waived as part of the deal) is understood to exist only in permanent media form and on a creative commons attribution basis. The wall is the property of the owner and they can do as they please unless they've entered a legal agreement to preserve the work for a stated length on time.

Presumably the copyright if there is any (it could be waived as part of the deal) is understood to exist only in permanent media form and on a creative commons attribution basis. The wall is the property of the owner and they can do as they please unless they've entered a legal agreement to preserve the work for a stated length on time.

I am unsure what you mean there ...... a solid wall seems a lot more permanent to me than a canvas or a picture in a camera.
    Could you explain further?
    Yes I understand that the originator of the work can apply whatever licence they wish to the work.
    Creative Commons is ore usually associated with written works in my experience.

I do still wonder, if you have a canvas and give me permisison to paint on it, should you destroy the canvas (and the work of art naturally) if there is not some agreement in place to deal with such a situation, is that destruction of a work of art? (bad and all as it might be :) )

Although, because they receive EU funding I expect all the legal aspects have been adequately dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I am unsure what you mean there ...... a solid wall seems a lot more permanent to me than a canvas or a picture in a camera.
    Yes I understand that the originator of the work can apply whatever licence they wish to the work.
    Creative Commons is ore usually associated with written works in my experience.

I do still wonder, if you have a canvas and give me permisison to paint on it, should you destroy the canvas (and the work of art naturally) if there is not some agreement in place to deal with such a situation, is that destruction of a work of art? (bad and all as it might be :) )

Although, because they receive EU funding I expect all the legal aspects have been adequately dealt with.

I'm sure everyone involved knows where they stand before the festival. Sure a lot of the same walls are used every year.

debok wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone involved knows where they stand before the festival. Sure a lot of the same walls are used every year.

Yep, you are most likely correct ..... at least I would hope so :)

Does anyone on here know or have such info?
    Just a little interested is all .....

The wall could be painted over in a day (as I noted above there could be a host wall time clause in that respect), a record of the picture should last longer :)

The wall could be painted over in a day (as I noted above there could be a host wall time clause in that respect), a record of the picture should last longer :)

There 'could' be ..... but I was hoping for some information rather than speculation. ;)

A canvas could be painted over too. :D

Advertisement