Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling terminology that annoys you....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"On the rivet!" ... the old ones are the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Eamonnator wrote:
    And the best club name: Reservoir Cogs.

And on a slightly similar note, there was a football team in Navan in the '80s called OMP, as in Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Trojan wrote: »
    High gear. Low gear. Who the hell knows which is which.

Also, if you think cycling is bad for terminology, try sailing.

I’ve heard a coach repeatedly telling people to go down gears when they mean go down the block which is quite the opposite, higher gears are the harder ones to push simple as that.

Now stop passing me on my leeward side, you should know I’ve priority on starboard tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Glass Crank it lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Is it just me or is there a ridiculous amount of shouting and roaring on sportives?

Hole, Left, Center.....Jesus Christ I swear people shout for a loose pebble these days. I think we all know and assume that Irish roads are bad, we don't need to know where ever loose stone is on the course

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When people shout "Up!, up!! up!!!" at me when I've not even fallen off (not yet anyway:()

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cona wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there a ridiculous amount of shouting and roaring on sportives?

Hole, Left, Center.....Jesus Christ I swear people shout for a loose pebble these days. I think we all know and assume that Irish roads are bad, we don't need to know where ever loose stone is on the course

Absolutely! When it comes to warning riders behind you of potholes, just "point and track" the pothole as you pass by. No need for all this shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

' Rolling Hills ' .

Whats this - Mills and Boon for bikes??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Cona wrote:

Where people in the same group shout "car up", "car down", meaning the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

In fairness to them, them always look like they're enjoying themselves. I suppose going into Bennett's for 6 pints of Guinness after training on a Wednesday night helps.

The 6 pints IS the training. The bike riding is the commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Grassey wrote: »
    Where people in the same group shout "car up", "car down", meaning the exact same thing.

Up is coming from on front
    Down is coming from behind

If memory serves

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Up is coming from on front
    Down is coming from behind

If memory serves
    No, No, No

Car Up (your arse) i.e. coming from behind
    Car Down (your throat) i.e. coming towards you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i propose a new system - 'car north' means car approaching from in front.
    'car south', the converse.

tbf, it used to bug me as a kid that a southwesterly wind was one blowing in a northeasterly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    Up is coming from on front Down is coming from behind

The opposite in our club.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Grassey wrote: »
    There's many variations depending where you live, ours as below

Car up - from the front
    Car back - from the rear

And the one the frightens the ****e outta us is "car on" - meaning there's a car oncoming on our side of the road :eek:

Edit: back to topic, it's not a rear or front mech it's a fcuking derailleur! !!!

Well for me its the term 'ride' which is so overused and to me seems the preserve of pretentious rapha-wearing gits.

Post-ride is even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Car up from behind - coming up the group.

Car down coming in the opposite direction - down the group.

I've no problem with the calling of holes, ramps etc, but lower the volume a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭re.mark.able

'Derailleur', especially when pronounced as 'derailer' – just use the english term the whole time! –, and 'mech' when I'm in a bad mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No, No, No

I used cycle with a group, who called "car 6", when a car approached from behind and "car 12" when a car approached from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

'Derailleur', especially when pronounced as 'derailer' – just use the english term the whole time! –, and 'mech' when I'm in a bad mood.

Derailer is the correct English term. Don't make me go to Sheldon on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

makes you wonder who they named sheldon in the big bang theory after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

"Peddle", "break", "front forks".

Brake

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Brake
    I think the Baron's post has been lost on you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pair passed today "...11 1, totally slammed on the front and..." didnt need to hear any more to know the kinda cyclists they were :pac:

I think the Baron's post has been lost on you! :)
    what worried me was that he didn't see anything else in that post to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

what worried me was that he didn't see anything else in that post to correct.

Yea he forgot about the rear forks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

No, No, No

Apologies not done a group spin in nearly 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

mamax wrote: »
    There's many variations depending where you live, ours as below

Car up - from the front
    Car back - from the rear

And the one the frightens the ****e outta us is "car on" - meaning there's a car oncoming on our side of the road :eek:

Edit: back to topic, it's not a rear or front mech it's a fcuking derailleur! !!!

But… but… I've only ever heard "car up!" - if the car's coming from in front, everyone can see it anyway, and if the person in front shouts, the people behind can't hear anyway because the words are blown away in the wind.
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    Bib knickers...
    imagine telling one of your non cycling mates u wear knickers?!

Twould be worse to tell them u don't wear knickers…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It barely ever happens to me, but for some reason kept happening to me over the space of a week last year:
    People shouting in commuter traffic "on your right!" as they pass. I know the phrase form hanging around here, but, really, I doubt most people grasp the intent in the second where it's relevant, and why don't you just pass with a decent distance instead?

(Its use in club cycling and racing or whatever seems absolutely fine.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

"I'm on a recovery ride"

Advertisement