Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling terminology that annoys you....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

"Obey the rules of the road" Pffft, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

1. 'Keep 'er lit!' What are you referring to?
    2. 'I majorly bonked' Well done, but...TMI
    3. "is it a DMS or a CP?" Huh?
    4. Cockpit. No, its not.
    5. Me 'I was racing yesterday'. Work mate: 'Oh, how long was it?"

Number 5. What's your problem here? You told someone that you were racing and they asked you how long was the race and you have an issue with that? What would you prefer, if they simply nodded and turned on their heels and walked away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

"I lit a match"
    "I only had a few matches left"
    "I burnt all my matches"
    ...basically any reference to matches as if that was anything but weird.

If you can't manage your matches, get a lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Number 5. What's your problem here?

It's a closed question? An open question could be "how did you get on?".

Another one I thought of:

"Did you cycle in today" to someone wearing lycya and spds, bonus if it's raining outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It barely ever happens to me, but for some reason kept happening to me over the space of a week last year:
    People shouting in commuter traffic "on your right!" as they pass. I know the phrase form hanging around here, but, really, I doubt most people grasp the intent in the second where it's relevant, and why don't you just pass with a decent distance instead?

(Its use in club cycling and racing or whatever seems absolutely fine.)

This happened to me this morning on the way in, on the Royal Canal towpath. I thought someone behind me shouted 'are you alright?' and I instinctively turned around to see who it was, which meant I veered slightly right.

It's really not effective outside of racing, get a bell or be polite with your words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

'' drafting '' you weren't drafting , you were ''sitting in/on'' . If you want to be ''drafting'' go do a triathlon and we don't do ''through and off'' we do ''up and over''
    ''Crankset'' is another one , you have a 53/39 chain ring not crankset your ''cranks '' are the straight things with a pedal on the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Idleater wrote: »

"Did you cycle in today" to someone wearing lycya and spds, bonus if it's raining outside.

but it's open as the person is looking for the length of the race. Seems like a valid question to me, can't see the problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

buffalo wrote: »
    I thought someone behind me shouted 'are you alright?' and I instinctively turned around to see who it was, which meant I veered slightly right.

Cyclecraft has a handy tip for that - if you're looking over your right shoulder, drop your left elbow (and vice versa) - stops you veering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Cyclecraft has a handy tip for that - if you're looking over your right shoulder, drop your left elbow (and vice versa) - stops you veering.

I always thought you just loosened your grip with the right hand so you don't tug the handlebars.

Idleater wrote: »

So we are rating questions asked by others on this type of scale now in order to determine their level of acceptability? Get out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought this was originally set up as a tongue-in-cheek Friday thread, but some posters are really getting their (bib) knickers in a twist over cycling terminology. I don't see what the big deal is! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

"Dancing on the pedals"

I don't hate this at all, it is one of my favourite phrases, I think of it everytime I am rocking up a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    So we are rating questions asked by others on this type of scale now in order to determine their level of acceptability? Get out of that.

What would you prefer, if they simply nodded and turned on their heels and walked away?

I was basically in agreement with you, just providing a possible answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    over use of 'for sure' by any pros being interviewed..possibly it's just a thing when English isn't your first language..

'for sure we will fight for the win'
    'for sure he has good legs today'
    'for sure it's a day for the sprinters'

the over use of the word "Super" by pros when been interviewed aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

"We will take it day by day and see what happens." Every pro, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Wheelset and Frameset.

These words have annoyed me for some time now in that they serve no purpose whatever and I have finally found a place to register my grievance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I thought this was originally set up as a tongue-in-cheek Friday thread, but some posters are really getting their (bib) knickers in a twist over cycling terminology. I don't see what the big deal is! :)

9 pages before the usual messageboard fighting over nothing. Not bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

EC1000 wrote: »
    Wheelset and Frameset.

These words have annoyed me for some time now in that they serve no purpose whatever and I have finally found a place to register my grievance.

Delighted to help you lighten that load!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had assumed that 'frameset' was there to distinguish between a frame, and a frame and forks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 besserwisser

"Road bikes" for Racers, "Fenders" for Mudguards, "Racks" for Carriers. Did they just change the terminology recently to annoy or confuse us aul fellas and aul ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Wheelset and Frameset.

Don't forget about groupset, chainset, brakeset and crankset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

outfox wrote: »
    Don't forget about groupset, chainset, brakeset and crankset.

And casSETte

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"Road bikes" for Racers, "Fenders" for Mudguards, "Racks" for Carriers. Did they just change the terminology recently to annoy or confuse us aul fellas and aul ones?

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was rocking fenders way back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

'Euro'

like when I wear my socks outside my leg warmers and someone tells me that's not very Euro.

You know what is Euro? A euro. You know what isn't Euro? Everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Sometimes Kirby says when a guy who isn't that great attacks "he can go well on a day such as today".

No he cant, hes never won a race in his life.

Whats the difference between a seatpin and a seatpost?

1bryan wrote: »
    'Euro'

like when I wear my socks outside my leg warmers and someone tells me that's not very Euro.

You know what is Euro? A euro. You know what isn't Euro? Everything else.

Is it a Euro or an Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Podium - commentators (usually) awarding a podium for a placing on a stage. I never saw 2nd or 3rd on the podium for a stage, only the stage and jersey winners. Yes for the final GC and one day races.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

i had assumed that 'frameset' was there to distinguish between a frame, and a frame and forks.

Ok I might give you that one. But what about wheelset, it is the difference between one wheel and two wheels? That's what the 's' is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ok I might give you that one. But what about wheelset, it is the difference between one wheel and two wheels? That's what the 's' is for!
    To me a wheelset is a front and back wheel of the same brand, diameter, width etc.

'Wheels' could just mean 2 wheels of different brands or 2 front, 2 rear etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And casSETte

or casetteset

Advertisement