Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling terminology that annoys you....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

To me a wheelset is a front and back wheel of the same brand, diameter, width etc.

'Wheels' could just mean 2 wheels of different brands or 2 front, 2 rear etc.

Yes but it is also used when describing a rear disc and deep section front as "My wheelset". Not saying that's right but the word is pointless. Bit like chainset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

top tube, you can call the rest any tube you like but a top tube will always be called a crossbar in my house :)

I’ve known it as a top tube since 1992!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

People on here that are going to “pull the trigger” on a set of wheels...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

How has nobody brought up "n+1" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

No one said "Campy" yet? Surely that ranks pretty high in the annoying cycling terminology ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hungrycol wrote: »
    No one said "Campy" yet? Surely that ranks pretty high in the annoying cycling terminology ranks.

Not if you have a bike equipped with a Campy Super Record Gruppo!!

Has anyone said Gruppo yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't know if is technically cycling terminology in the way the rest of this is, and this is entirely childish on my part, but Shimano STI is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

oh, I have a contribution to the thread! People who pronounce 'K.O.M.' as 'kom' instead of 'kay-oh-em'.

Particularly when they're racers, who know that a kom/comm is a commissaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Leg loosener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Did we cover drivetrain?.. you’d swear there were drive shafts CV joints and differentials on some lads bikes!

• Advertisement

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Did we cover drivetrain?.. you’d swear there were drive shafts CV joints and differentials on some lads bikes!

Maybe some day soon

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

“CARNAGE”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bonking and honking

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

People in Sportives shouting about peletons and echelons :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bonking and honking

The upside of being reincarnated as a goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

People misspelling the word peloton

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

'Derailleur', especially when pronounced as 'derailer' – just use the english term the whole time! –, and 'mech' when I'm in a bad mood.

Don't get this. It de-rails the chain so despite being spelt in a fancy way, derailer is more correct.
    Open to correction of course

tigerboon wrote: »
    Don't get this. It de-rails the chain so despite being spelt in a fancy way, derailer is more correct.
    Open to correction of course

I think the beef is with pronouncing it "derailer" but spelling it the French way, when the easiest thing is to pronounce it "derailer" and spell it thus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think the beef is with pronouncing it "derailer" but spelling it the French way, when the easiest thing is to pronounce it "derailer" and spell it thus too.

Makes sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Cage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Where did the term "to have a beef with something" come from?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Where did the term "to have a beef with something" come from?

It seems to be American in origin,and goes back a bit, according to the OED:

noun
    4. A protest, (ground for) complaint, grievance. slang (orig. U.S.). Cf. beef v. 4.

1900 G. Ade Fables in Slang 80 He made a Horrible Beef because he couldn't get Loaf Sugar for his Coffee.

verb
    4. intr. To complain, grumble, protest. slang (orig. U.S.).

1888 N.Y. World 13 May (Farmer), He'll beef an' kick like a steer an' let on he won't never wear 'em.

There's no etymology included though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

A lot of terms mentioned here - "keep 'er lit", "have a beef with", etc, aren't cycling terms at all.

Peuff. There's plenty of terms in English that come from French and are spelled in the French way but pronounced as if English words. Names too - lots of people called Devereux pronounce it devverux; the 18C term 'bucks' was an anglicisation of 'beaux', etc, etc.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    A lot of terms mentioned here - "keep 'er lit", "have a beef with", etc, aren't cycling terms at all.

I'm always willing to leave the steep and thorny path of staying on subject, to tread the primrose path of etymology.

Peuff. There's plenty of terms in English that come from French and are spelled in the French way but pronounced as if English words. Names too - lots of people called Devereux pronounce it devverux; the 18C term 'bucks' was an anglicisation of 'beaux', etc, etc.
    "Guillotine" is another obvious one. However, if you're looking for a term for something that derails things, "derailer" is a pretty good option.

I don't really care. I spell it the French way, because that's what everyone seems to do.

EDIT: I don't quite spell it the French way. Unlike some words (crèche), nobody every seems to add the é to derailleur in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

One from today: "call the holes"

Names too - lots of people called Devereux pronounce it devverux

That reminds me of the old graffito in Northern Ireland when James Molyneaux (more or less pronounced French-style) was a prominent politician.
    "Molyneaux is a bollo"

That reminds me of the old graffito in Northern Ireland when James Molyneaux (more or less pronounced French-style) was a prominent politician.
    "Molyneaux is a bollo"

Would have preferred "Molyneaux is a bolleaux", but that's just moi.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Raam wrote: »
    "We will take it day by day and see what happens." Every pro, ever.

Which translates to "wtf kind of question is that. I don't have the ability to look into the future"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

martyc5674 wrote: »

Good call.
    In general I think I hate anything that overeggs it, cockpit is very definitely in that territory also.

Advertisement