Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temporary sheep fencing options

• 10-08-2018 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Im thinking about splitting some of my fields up into small paddocks for Ewes. I want to use a temporary fence rather than a permanent one and I was wondering what is the best option to go for? I used the standard pegs with 5 strands of wire last year to split up a field but I found it useless as there was a few ewes that used to jump in between the wires. I was looking at electrified sheep netting before and I was wondering if it would be earthed from touching the ground? From your own experience, what is the best option for splitting up fields for sheep? Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Im thinking about splitting some of my fields up into small paddocks for Ewes. I want to use a temporary fence rather than a permanent one and I was wondering what is the best option to go for? I used the standard pegs with 5 strands of wire last year to split up a field but I found it useless as there was a few ewes that used to jump in between the wires. I was looking at electrified sheep netting before and I was wondering if it would be earthed from touching the ground? From your own experience, what is the best option for splitting up fields for sheep? Tia.

i use it all the time here, and it's 100% the bottom wire isn't live so it doesn't earth on the ground, it needs about 3000volts in the fence when you put it up first but once they're trained to it they never touch it.
    I used to use four strands of electric wire in the permanant fences here but, like you, there was always a few sheep that'd mess it up so I've all the permanant fences here with ordinary stakes and sheepwire, some people have great success with white tape...or they say they do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

What is this white tape you mention? Looking for a quick way to section off a few bits of our yard that has plenty of grass going to waste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

grayh0und wrote: »
    What is this white tape you mention? Looking for a quick way to section off a few bits of our yard that has plenty of grass going to waste!

This is a video of a neighbour of mine using white tape for elctric fencing, the bit about fencing starts at 1.50, should give you a rough idea.
    The reels that the tape is on are expensive but you can buy the polywire tape without those fancy reels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmTA6mDKjQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Two stakes at either end of the field. Tie a temporary stake to each stake. Put 3 lines of wire on temporary posts inbetween. Works the finest fpr us anyway

Advertisement