Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission problem

• 10-08-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi lads, was out walking on a permission I have in county tipp today, in Cahir to be exact , don't shoot it much , once last year , but the thing is today I found what appears to be a home made tent/camp, it's very well put together using forestry timbers and blue tarpaulin, all tied nice with Boy Scout type knots. Would this be a common thing by some deer shooters?? Thing is nobody has permission here but myself and I contacted the landowner straight away and he told me to tear it down that it shouldn't be there. Anybody come across anything like this before??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Hi lads, was out walking on a permission I have in county tipp today, in Cahir to be exact , don't shoot it much , once last year , but the thing is today I found what appears to be a home made tent/camp, it's very well put together using forestry timbers and blue tarpaulin, all tied nice with Boy Scout type knots. Would this be a common thing by some deer shooters?? Thing is nobody has permission here but myself and I contacted the landowner straight away and he told me to tear it down that it shouldn't be there. Anybody come across anything like this before??

Possible squatters?

Could be kids or as you said scout group etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Possible squatters?

Could be kids or as you said scout group etc.

No houses near by to be kids, scouts would have a much bigger set up than this, looks like a shelter where stalkers would be biding their time but I don't know anyone that operates like this, Irish lads anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

In the Wicklow mountains there are several individuals living in the wild, a quick Google search will show you I'm not spoofing.
    There are several Coilte woods where you can come across lean toos straight out of a Dave Canterbury video or Discovery channel. Some are just weekend Wildman others are genuine hermits. There was even a homeless lad i knew of squatting in a small corps of trees on a farmers land in Meath.

I doubt that hunters / poachers would be so blatant on others lands. But given some of the posts I've seen here reference hunting on 'public land' and usually quoting something like 'I want to head off to the mountains and do a bit of camping and hunt my own food' etc I won't be surprised who's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Thats right, I forgot about that I wonder did he ever go fully Davy Crocket.

In the Wicklow mountains there are several individuals living in the wild, a quick Google search will show you I'm not spoofing.
    There are several Coilte woods where you can come across lean toos straight out of a Dave Canterbury video or Discovery channel. Some are just weekend Wildman others are genuine hermits. There was even a homeless lad i knew of squatting in a small corps of trees on a farmers land in Meath.

I doubt that hunters / poachers would be so blatant on others lands. But given some of the posts I've seen here reference hunting on 'public land' and usually quoting something like 'I want to head off to the mountains and do a bit of camping and hunt my own food' etc I won't be surprised who's out there.

You could be right !! Ha ha I will just have to have another look around, no sign of anything around it , no paper or cig butts or anything like that . A few lads say there is lots of poaching in the general area so who knows !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ALot of it going on around West Wicklow. Seems to be mainly East Europeans from what I can make out

Birdnuts wrote: »
    ALot of it going on around West Wicklow. Seems to be mainly East Europeans from what I can make out

Poaching or camping wild? I didn't want to make assumptions but the minute I saw the makeshift camp I thaught of foreigners poaching, I forgot to say there were lots of deer bones in the area to suggest field dressing took place there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Poaching or camping wild? I didn't want to make assumptions but the minute I saw the makeshift camp I thaught of foreigners poaching, I forgot to say there were lots of deer bones in the area to suggest field dressing took place there.

Probably a bit of both - serious problem with foriegners illegally fishing from woodland camps around the Blessington lakes for years:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

One farmer I knew said there was an issue with rustling animals, not whole sale but individual animals being taken and at times being field butchered ....... but you can probably chalk that one up as ' the lad down the road said he saw Elvis...' but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Found a large raised deer stand partially constructed on my lease a few years ago, deep in the forest, floor was 8 feet off the ground. All thier tools were left there, It may well have been eastern European given the six pack of aldi high caffiene energy drink, but that could be just speculation. Very well constructed, with roof and walls, using salvaged corregated metal. No doubt it was a deer stand .

Also found high seats - although they could have been there from previous lease holders.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Found a large raised deer stand partially constructed on my lease a few years ago, deep in the forest, floor was 8 feet off the ground. All thier tools were left there, It may well have been eastern European given the six pack of aldi high caffiene energy drink, but that could be just speculation. Very well constructed, with roof and walls, using salvaged corregated metal. No doubt it was a deer stand .

Also found high seats - although they could have been there from previous lease holders.

As I said this was no kids or Boy Scouts camp and what you described there was my first impression, perfect view point for shooting and well constructed but not very Irish looking if you know what I mean. I think I'd be giving this spot a wide berth but it pisses me off at the same time to think someone is at it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As I said this was no kids or Boy Scouts camp and what you described there was my first impression, perfect view point for shooting and well constructed but not very Irish looking if you know what I mean. I think I'd be giving this spot a wide berth but it pisses me off at the same time to think someone is at it there.

Tear it down and destroy everything.

Tear it down and destroy everything.

I think I'll leave it to the landowner to destroy. Anybody else know about that side of the country? A local to the Area said poaching is blatant there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

If it were me I'd leave it well alone. No evidence that whoever put it up, has done any harm, and seems as though from the op, that there was no mess left behind. Self reliance is getting very popular over here at the mo, and those who have an interest, make sure they clean up afterwards.

As regards permission. If the landowner is not happy, then he, and he alone, should tare it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Why not put a trail cam up in or around the camp seen what’s going on could be harmless or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Eddie B wrote: »
    If it were me I'd leave it well alone. No evidence that whoever put it up, has done any harm, and seems as though from the op, that there was no mess left behind. Self reliance is getting very popular over here at the mo, and those who have an interest, make sure they clean up afterwards.

As regards permission. If the landowner is not happy, then he, and he alone, should tare it down.

No harm besides trespassing on private property? and i assume they probably had bush-craft knives or axes to help make this set up which turns into trespassing with a weapon.
    Im with you on leaving it well alone let the landowner see it himself and tear it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

The fact the landowner says he/she hasn't seen it it safe to assume he/she don't take much interest in their land and what's going on on it?

That's why it's there?

I think I will stick up a trail cam just for my own peace of mind , don't fancy running into any bother for the sake of a shot. Landowner would like to know the carry on aswell. Someone mentioned in an earlier post how had he not seen it but it's in the forestery about 20 yards in cover, not the kind of place he'd be goin or seeing from the tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Just a thought but would the landowner get annoyed with you for not tearing it down after he asked you to tear it down?

You are there by his permission after all.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Just a thought but would the landowner get annoyed with you for not tearing it down after he asked you to tear it down?

You are there by his permission after all.

He didn't he was sound enough about it , he'd actually like to see who put it there, if Tis some lad who goes wild every weekend he wouldn't be that put out but If it's some Eastern European dudes harvesting deer then he will involve the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

No harm besides trespassing on private property? and i assume they probably had bush-craft knives or axes to help make this set up which turns into trespassing with a weapon. Im with you on leaving it well alone let the landowner see it himself and tear it down.

Would the knives and axes not be known tools?
    They were always know as tools!
    They are only a weapon if used as one.
    It's another abuse of the law to say that all knives and axes are weapons.
    Even if a hunter is on a permission and not tresspassing... If he is approached by gardai or ranger can they take the tool from them and say it's a weapon?
    Off topic I know but it's a discussion point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Could also be a training camp for a branch of our own homegrown freedom fighters??Interesting that one post mentioned no cig butts or wrappers or rubbish left lying around. That does take a severe personal discipline, or someone is DNA paranoid?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably a bit of both - serious problem with foriegners illegally fishing from woodland camps around the Blessington lakes for years:(

Many of the lakes in cavan have been wiped out with them. Perch Pike everything. They have no respect for our wildlife or laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

idnkph wrote: »
    Would the knives and axes not be known tools?
    They were always know as tools!
    They are only a weapon if used as one.
    It's another abuse of the law to say that all knives and axes are weapons.
    Even if a hunter is on a permission and not tresspassing... If he is approached by gardai or ranger can they take the tool from them and say it's a weapon?
    Off topic I know but it's a discussion point.

The laws an ass actually in that regard trespass with anything that could be considered a weapon(i know its not a weapon unless its used as one but try your argument in court and see how it goes) and you land yourself in hot water i.e. even a pocket knife.I remembered this from the many many evenings ive spent trying to make heads or tails of all the firearms and related acts:D
    Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990
    Trespassing with a knife, weapon of offence or other article.

10.—(1) Where a person is on any premises as defined in subsection (2) as a trespasser, he shall be guilty of an offence if he has with him—

(a) any knife or other article to which section 9 (1) applies, or

(b) any weapon of offence (as defined in subsection (2)).

(2) In this section—

“premises” means any building, any part of a building and any land ancillary to a building;

“weapon of offence” means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Take a few pics if you are there again.

Kiltris wrote: »
    Take a few pics if you are there again.

I will i don’t know why I didn’t the last day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

No houses near by to be kids, scouts would have a much bigger set up than this, looks like a shelter where stalkers would be biding their time but I don't know anyone that operates like this, Irish lads anyway

7 th tipp troop ur local scouts often do bivvy nights temporarily made shelters to sleep 3/4 I’ll ask we’re lads out over them last week or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Some lads where out in up by the wood gates but boys said there seems to be a few temporary shelters around mostly where the foreign lads clip the rodadendran plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    7 th tipp troop ur local scouts often do bivvy nights temporarily made shelters to sleep 3/4 I’ll ask we’re lads out over them last week or so

We did this too, never without permission from the owner though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Setting up a camp without permission would go against every known Scout code known to Lord Baden Powell.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement