Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Completed my second play through of Nightmare this time without Sentinel Armour assistance and also have beaten the Cultist Base Master Level.

Now that that I understand how the mechanics and how the designers intended the game to be play its has arguably the finest combat mechanics in any single player FPS game and I've been playing FPS games since the early 90's. Will actually be quite difficult to go back to any other shooters, Doom 2016 included.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just had a quick dable with the The Ancient Gods Part 1. More of the same, which IMO is perfectly fine with me, gameplay is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

From the trailer, seems like more stupid jumping puzzles. I'd have hoped they would leave that out.

Jump Puzzles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's a bit more difficult than the main campaign, so far I've got 2 marauders at the same time, a buffed marauder another time, and possessed demons that are double-triple buffed and for which you must plan your plasma ammo if you want to survive.

And sharks that you can't kill. Why? Why have something that you can't kill in a Doom game?

Done. A bit to much of arena fights for me, but good fun. And the ending/cliffhanger...

Haven't had much time this week so far but I've just got through the first mission on nightmare difficulty and holy **** have they turned the difficulty up to 11. You start fully upgrade in terms of weapons, health, armour and runes and boy do you need, they don't muck about and your quickly facing hordes of heavy and super heavy demons, some intense and exciting stuff,. The two Marauders was kinda cute though.

I think Id Software looked at the critical feedback from players who said Doom Eternal was too difficult, smiled at it and then hired Ivan Drago to balance the gameplay. Nightmare mode should have been renamed to "I must break you".

The expansion is hilariously difficult.

I do admire the developers for sticking to the guns and actually doubling down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It's a bit too much even. The fights go on forever and it's just laughably difficult at times. You basically can't stop moving. Pick off the harder guys and use the lower tiers as armour and health sources. The gameplay is good but it's easy enough to die and you just keep repeating the same fights over and over. Not that much fun.

Felt darksoul-ish at moments, I didn't mind the difficulty uplift, but dying close to the end of the arena fight and having to redo it from the top is frustrating.

• Advertisement

Well I just beat nightmare mode, phew tough game!. I spent ages on the 3rd last major fight, the one with two tyrants (one which is spirit buffed) two carcasses, 1 blood maykr, 1 hell knight, 1 doom hunter and 4 tentacles. Took me absolutely ages but eventually it was just me and the doom hunter and I had destroyed his sled. But just as I had him I got killed by a f**king tentacle! Spent another half dozen attempts before I released I had a fully stocked BFG and lol breezed it in my next go.

Final boss 4th phase took ages as well. I could easily deal with one of the spirit buffed enemies but damn that buffed pain elemental was a pain in the ass.

Overall I very much enjoyed it. I think its quite brave of the developers to make a game that difficult. As the developers said themselves, if you find the game too difficult turn down the difficulty settings and use the sentinel armour. Difficult games aren't for everyone and there is no shame in turning down the difficulty, but for those who enjoy the challenge its nice that its there.

If I was stuck in one arena for a while, I would take a break. Can be quite draining to play.

Story wise I did like the ending. Look forward to part 2.

They just updated the game and added in the Super Gore Nest Master level though its somewhat buggy.

Do you like Cyberdemons? No well that's too bad, how about two together...in a small room...with a Demon Hunter?. Not liking that how about 4 of them followed by 3 Arch-Viles then?

Still the game is a sight too behold when its played by a master player. This was only his second run through of the map.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thats awesome stuff, amazing player that seems to play on instinct and literally doesnt have to think on the fly as he goes.
    If he does think on the fly he has the mind of a raging genius, reminds me of them asians with incredible actions per minute in starcraft etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Azza wrote: »
    They just updated the game and added in the Super Gore Nest Master level though its somewhat buggy.

Do you like Cyberdemons? No well that's too bad, how about two together...in a small room...with a Demon Hunter?. Not liking that how about 4 of them followed by 3 Arch-Viles then?

Still the game is a sight too behold when its played by a master player. This was only his second run through of the map.

Great stuff but personally I prefer DraQu. I think he is a better player. Still Zero Master is godlike aswell.

• The latest DLC is mental. I think I'm on the last section but the amount of enemies it's throwing at me is insane.
    2 x Cyberdemons 2 x Archeviles lol and 2x Mauraders
    Barons of hell thrown in there also.

How on earth anyone can play this on console is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Im on One X / Series X and it is a challenge alright but its still unbelievably fun. I completed 3 playthroughs of Doom 2016 on console aswell and it was just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The latest DLC is mental. I think I'm on the last section but the amount of enemies it's throwing at me is insane.
    2 x Cyberdemons 2 x Archeviles lol and 2x Mauraders
    Barons of hell thrown in there also.

I gave up on pc gaming when the Xbox 360 came out. Getting used to a controller took ages, But eventually I got there. This is the first game that makes me really wish I had a keyboard and mouse. Doom 2016 no issues on the hardest difficulty, but this FUKK!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Out tomorrow, holy smokes I thought it was months away. I AM HYPE!

meh, I'm not a fan of the new stuff especially the final boss but still it was good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Different people like different things, ive never been able to get use to mouse and keyboard, control pad just feels more natural.

Finished off the second expansion today, was solid but not as good as the main game or the the first DLC. Level design was pretty bland, and the new enemies where mostly just reskinned enemies with seen already with some new attacks. Finally boss was nothing to right home about, but still the core gameplay was enjoyable as ever. Kinda felt rushed overall, maybe the pandemic had an effect on its development. Certainly easier than the first DLC game as well.

Was disappointed to hear they patched the first DLC to make it easier as well. Really enjoyed the challenge of it.

Was a pretty short DLC, only 3-4 hours maybe? The locations were varied at least and were nice to look at but there was really nothing to them outside of appearance. They all follow the same pattern of large rooms for battles, paths and then puzzle areas. The large scale battle in the final act was quite a good visual though.

The story was really straightforward in the end and not that rewarding. I felt at a point they had something interesting ideas going throughout the series. It's a shame they couldn't finish it a bit better.

They really can't resist adding annoying **** since the first DLC though. The purple goo that slows you down completely, the stone demons that require a particular weapon mod (and obviously ammo for that weapon), the ghosts were back but not that frequent, shield lads that you have to blow up from behind... Final boss being the worst of this of course. If you fire at him at certain points, he gets health back? what? To me it's not that fun having to factor in timing and puzzle solving into the combat.

I'd rather have limited resources and just have straight fighting. It's much more fun being in a fight with wave after wave of standard demons than the smaller scale battles with a few "unique" zombies.

I don't think it was short more that it was easier than the first DLC.

Agree with you about the story, was interesting but the ending was a let down.

Yeah I didn't think too much of the new enemies either, the Cursed Prowler was actually quite annoying. As for Imorra's Elite Guards LOL.

I don't think the Final Boss got health back from you shooting him, more he got his health back when he hit you.

Azza wrote: »
    I don't think it was short more that it was easier than the first DLC.

Agree with you about the story, was interesting but the ending was a let down.

Yeah I didn't think too much of the new enemies either, the Cursed Prowler was actually quite annoying. As for Imorra's Elite Guards LOL.

I don't think the Final Boss got health back from you shooting him, more he got his health back when he hit you.

Yeah those guards were really lame.

Are you sure? As the final boss is about to swing, whenever i shot by accident, it was making those small health pluses and his bar was increasing. Almost certain but could be wrong. At any rate, it was annoying that he can pretty much get his health back but still i didnt die much. You can just circle around forever and you just had to get three attacks in per round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just finished the last of the DLCs of this.

It took me a few months to finish the main game. I had very little time due to life stuff and could only manage 30-45 minutes maybe once a week at best. Meant I couldn't really immerse myself in it. Every time I came back to it, I had forgotten what the equipment buttons were. Things like grenade launcher and flame belch were just things I hit by accident. Just found it too bloody complicated and preferred 2016. And I was only on hurt me plenty. I've been playing FPSs since the 90s and although I have less time to game these days, I'm no scrub either.

Then life quietened down before Christmas and I got in a session almost every day. By this stage, I was towards the end of the main game and started using equipment properly. Once I was able to immerse myself in it, things got so much easier. One example was that I hated pinkies, but once it clicked that blood punch one-shotted them, it became a doddle. Jumping into a crowd of fodder demons to flame belch + grenade to get my armor up was so satisfying. Started using shotgun grapple hook properly.

It's a shame it took so long to figure things out as my opinion of the main game while playing it and opinion in hindsight were two different things. Better late than never though. DLC1 was fun but with some pretty tough encounters. Found the final boss horrendously difficult and sentinel armour was needed for every stage. DLC2 was just as fun but final boss was a let down as I got him first try.

It's not a game for a casual gamer to excel at. But I'd echo what someone above said that it'll be hard to play another FPS any time soon. I have a few FPSs on my to-do list, but think I'll play something different next (looking at you Echo Of The Eye)

Advertisement