Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outgoing SMTP for phone mail

Options
  • 10-08-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

My wife has an eircom.net email account, and I recently configured her email on her android phone to be able to connect to it. I set the outgoing SMTP server to mail1.eircom.net and all worked fine when she was connected to the Wifi at home; however when she was using cellular data or connected to other wifi networks she could not send email (but can receive it).

After some googling I found that using the eircom SMTP server only works if connected via an Eir service; as we have Eir broadband at home then it works OK there. But her phone contract is with Vodafone, so when she is not connected to our broadband and connects via the cell network sending emails fails. Likewise when she connects to a wifi network away from home that does not use Eir as the broadband service provider she cannot send email.

I can implement a workaround by changing her account settings to use the relevant SMTP server - for example at the moment we are on a wifi network that connects via Three, so I configured her email client to use the Three SMTP server and it works fine. Likewise, although I haven't tested it, I am sure if I configure to use the Vodafone SMTP when she is on cellular data it will also work. But it is a major PITA to keep having to reconfigure the outgoing mail server settings

Is there a workaround or am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

tombrown wrote: »
    My wife has an eircom.net email account, and I recently configured her email on her android phone to be able to connect to it. I set the outgoing SMTP server to mail1.eircom.net and all worked fine when she was connected to the Wifi at home; however when she was using cellular data or connected to other wifi networks she could not send email (but can receive it).

After some googling I found that using the eircom SMTP server only works if connected via an Eir service; as we have Eir broadband at home then it works OK there. But her phone contract is with Vodafone, so when she is not connected to our broadband and connects via the cell network sending emails fails. Likewise when she connects to a wifi network away from home that does not use Eir as the broadband service provider she cannot send email.

I can implement a workaround by changing her account settings to use the relevant SMTP server - for example at the moment we are on a wifi network that connects via Three, so I configured her email client to use the Three SMTP server and it works fine. Likewise, although I haven't tested it, I am sure if I configure to use the Vodafone SMTP when she is on cellular data it will also work. But it is a major PITA to keep having to reconfigure the outgoing mail server settings

Is there a workaround or am I missing something obvious?
    Hi tombrown, 

The best advice I can offer is to contact our support team on 1890 260 260, they'll be able to assist you with this and advise you on all. Alternatively, you can contact them at wmsupport@eir.ie.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement