Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is This?

Options
  • 10-08-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, anyone have any idea what this is. It's growing on every surface of my garden!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like sacs of spider eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

spider eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

I just did not want these answers to this question.

Anything to be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

brush them off if you want, but its the time of year for them, flogging a dead horse imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

newbie2 wrote: »
    brush them off if you want, but its the time of year for them, flogging a dead horse imo

Killing your garden spiders will make your fly population much safer, numerous and annoying. I'd be inclined to let the eggs hatch before brushing them off.

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    Killing your garden spiders will make your fly population much safer, numerous and annoying. I'd be inclined to let the eggs hatch before brushing them off.

Safer but more numerous & annoying? I'll take spiders over flies any day but these sacs are on every surface of the garden and all of the toys inside it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If they are a nuisance then brush or wash them off.

Thanks for your help guys, my hubby is all for leaving them to hatch but they just look so horrible! I appreciate you all getting back to me though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Shouldn't take long for them to hatch but it's up to yourself really if you'd like to brush them off now. I'd at least leave some to their own devices to keep the population of spiders OK for catching flies in your garden. One sack could produce a large number of small spiders so just leaving a few could still be enough to stock your garden again with the useful spiders. When I have had to brush off the odd spider nest (if I was bringing something inside from out in the garden for example) I'd usually try to not damage the nest as much as possible when removing it from the surface it's attached to, but as I said as long as some of the nests are OK there's unlikely to be any major ecological damage done by cleaning them off. There's even some small spiders spread by the wind so in the long term you could get new spiders in from outside the garden anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have toys in the garden? You have children. Show the children and let them watch for them hatching. Honestly dozens/hundreds of very tiny spiders is really quite cute, and they vanish into the garden. I suppose birds get a lot of them. You are still going to have to scrape/ wash off the sacs though, they are well glued in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement