Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTA football thread 2018/19

• 10-08-2018 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Just something to alert to cheapskates like me

Coming up

Friday - Freesports Benfica v Vitoria 8.25 PM LIVE
    Saturday - Freesports Porto v Chaves 8.50 PM LIVE
    Saturday - BBC Alba Livingstone v Kilmarnock 6 PM (as live)
    Monday Freesports - Vanarama National League Round Up 8.30 PM
    Thursday Freesports - Copa De Brazil Champecoense v Corinthians 9 PM (as live)
    Friday Freesports Copa de Brazil Flamengo v Gremino 2 PM (as live)

Friday next week S4C - Aberystwyth Town v Cardiff MU 7.30 PM LIVE

Obviously MOTD, MOTD2 (BBC) and EPL highlights (Quest HD) are on every week.

If anyone spots anything else throw it in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Quest showing EFL highlights on Saturday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

freesports are showing Champecoense v Corinthians live 1:40am thursday
    Flamengo v Gremino straight after delayed
    they've a national league highlights show on monday nights too

rte 2 thr 16th rosenborg-cork 19:30

eleven sports live on facebook
    fri 17th girona-valladolid 19:15
    sat 18th chievo-juve 17:00
    mon 20th valencia-atleti 19:00
    sat 25th valladolid-barca 21:15
    sun 26th inter-torino 19:30

s4c show live welsh pl games
    bbc scotland show spl highlights weekly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some live football and other sports here free on a desk top / lap top

https://www.laola1.tv/en-int/live-schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Do you need a dish to watch these?

Tonight
    rte2 Benfica-PAOK
    be3 BATE Borisov-PSV

Tomorrow
    be3 ajax-dynamo Kiev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Imagine if the Virgin channels were in HD - they'd still be sh'ite! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Tonight
    rte2 Benfica-PAOK
    be3 BATE Borisov-PSV

Tomorrow
    be3 ajax-dynamo Kiev

Why are Irish channels showing these games? I'd imagine very little interest? What have rte and TV3 got this year in terms of champions league? One game each per week is it?

Imagine if the Virgin channels were in HD - they'd still be sh'ite! :D

at least it'd be watchable shít then :pac:
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Why are Irish channels showing these games? I'd imagine very little interest? What have rte and TV3 got this year in terms of champions league? One game each per week is it?

no idea. was checking the guide on the tv & noticed it on rte2, thought the must've banked on celtic getting through but with be3 showing games on both nights idk...

afair; rte2 have 1 on tuesday night. virgin(tv3) have tue evening, wed evening + night

at least it'd be watchable shít then :pac:

no idea. was checking the guide on the tv & noticed it on rte2, thought the must've banked on celtic getting through but with be3 showing games on both nights idk...

afair; rte2 have 1 on tuesday night. virgin(tv3) have tue evening, wed evening + night

Is virgin (TV3) showing 3 free games a week? Think I heard they will be launching new channels and charging for it.

yeah they're launching a pay sports channel. can't remember how many free games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

At a guess I would say that is it part of the Champions League TV deal that RTE has to show it. UEFA would have contracts with sponsors that X CL games are shown in X countries so Im guessig thats why it is on despite little interest.

That said I doubt there was any requirement to send Hamilton & Houghton all the way out to Portugal for it but it wouldnt be like RTE to refuse a junket.

Champions League Broadcast contract starts from the play off round so having the champions league rights they would have to broadcast some play off games, it would have been Celtic and Liverpool last season but because Celtic messed up and no English team in the play off you have these games instead

now
    freesports benfica-sporting

With the international break not that much on.

Tonight it's Scottish Premier League women's football on BBC Alba, U21 euros Wales v Liechtenstine on the BBC Red Button (981 freesat) so you can watch the next generation of whizz kids that'll beat Ireland ;)

Saturday - Quest have League1/2 highlights at 9 pm, S4C have The New Saints v Queens park in the Irn Bru Cup at 8 pm.

Sunday Denmark v Wales at 4.30

Tuesday 5.30 Wales v Portugal u21 euros BBC Red Button 981

There's actually loads of football on

Tonight
    rte 2 - fai cup 7:30
    Virgin 3 - italy - Poland 7:30 + highlights @ 10

Tomorrow
    Virgin 3 - northern Ireland - Bosnia 13:30,
    Switzerland - Iceland 16:45, England - Spain 19:00 + highlights @ 10

Sunday
    Virgin 3 - Ukraine - Slovakia 13:30, Denmark - Wales 16:45, France - Holland 19:00 + highlights @ 10
    S4c HD - denmark - wales

Monday
    Virgin 3 - Portugal - italy 19:00 + highlights @ 10

Tuesday
    Virgin 3 - england - Switzerland 19:00 + highlights @ 10, Poland - Ireland 23:00 delayed

Anyone know whats the story with FTA and the CL this season? Virgin Media dont seem to be showing any game tonight. Also last nights coverage on RTE finished up 10 minutes after full time and then there was no highlights show despite another 8 games being played, like wtf?

ITV have CL highlights tonight - they can only have one programme a week so it'll always be Wednesday.

No they don't! When the feck did they loose the rights and to whom?

ITV have CL highlights tonight - they can only have one programme a week so it'll always be Wednesday.

No they don't! When the feck did they loose the rights and to whom?

BT have exclusive rights in the UK to European games so no highlights on normal tv, have to make do with very brief you tube clips

Yeah I checked ITV last night hoping for highlights but none there. I just cant believe there are no FTA options for tonights games, watching football on tv its turning into a joke for us cheapskates and even for those who choose to pay you now have to subscribe to multiple providers.

Right so ITV now have most England games and that's it. Some fall.

• Advertisement

Right so ITV now have most England games and that's it. Some fall.

England games that are not part of the Nations League contract

To think they had England, FA Cup (before BBC won it back), Champions League, EL (ITV4). ITV4 probably still has the U17 FA Cup semi finals and final :)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I checked ITV last night hoping for highlights but none there. I just cant believe there are no FTA options for tonights games, watching football on tv its turning into a joke for us cheapskates and even for those who choose to pay you now have to subscribe to multiple providers.

There's a highlights show tonight on virgin 1 @ 10:15-11:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Add in the new times and I suspect viewing figures will plummet in these parts. Don't know if UEFA care though.

There's a highlights show tonight on virgin 1 @ 10:15-11:45

cheers, hopefully get to see last nights games on it even if tonights one will involve streaming
    Add in the new times and I suspect viewing figures will plummet in these parts. Don't know if UEFA care though.

Bizarre thing is the main reason CL was FTA was because global brands like Heineken, Mastercard, etc wanted their sponsorship to be broadcast to the biggest possible audience and FTA was the way to achieve that. Obviously something has changed at UEFA for them now to go down the subscription route and hence less viewers. I cant imagine the sponsors are too impressed with the situation.

When BT sport realises they cannot sustain the CL/EL at it's current level it'll be interesting to see if ITV or another FTA channel (could even be Pick via Sky) takes a chance or will it end up in the hands of Amazon/Discovery etc. Ironically the best way to get it back on FTA would be for English clubs to do really badly for a few years!

Not quite FTA but on Stephens Day Sky One will be showing
    Fulham v Wolves, 12pm
    Brighton v Arsenal, 5pm
    Watford v Chelsea, 7.15pm

FA Cup
    Sunday KO 4.30pm:
    Newport County vs Leicester City – Live on BBC1

MONDAY, 7.45pm:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool – Live on BBC1

ITV4 has one la liga match per week for rest of the season

• Advertisement

What number is ITV4 on a Sky box Harry? Or does it have to be tuned in manually?

What number is ITV4 on a Sky box Harry? Or does it have to be tuned in manually?

Manually tune it in. A quick Google will sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Has to be tuned in

https://ekayi.com/sky-channel-codes-all-you-need/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITV4 has one la liga match per week for rest of the season

What day or time is it do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This Sunday at 7:45pm is the first live game.

Levante vs Real Madrid.

Freesports are now MLS crazeeeeeeeeee! Two games on today with Serie A and Primera Liga as the meat in the white bread sandwich. Just heard Bradley Wright Phillips name mentioned! Two more Italian games tomorrow, they also have the French version of le FA Cup PSG v Nantes on Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sky One are showing Tottenham vs Huddersfield today from 12:30pm.

Also don't know if it was mentioned but the Russian Premier Liga are streaming live matches free on their official Youtube channel. Seems they started this last month.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfO4uULWZvEtCCj-lw1ZO5A/videos?view=2&flow=grid

They're also offering short highlights of games like a few of the top 5 leagues do. Nice way to increase interest in their league.

Atletico v Celta Iago Aspas is on ITV4 at 5.15.

Freesports has Milan v Lazio at 7.25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Chelsea v Burnley is on Sky 1 this Monday from 7.30pm

There's a potential title-deciding match in the Russian Premier Liga this evening from 7pm as 1st-placed Zenit (on 48 pts) travel to 3rd-placed Krasnodar (on 42 pts). It's a must-win for the home side with just 7 games remaining and should they win the title is all to play for; a Zenit win meanwhile gives them an 8 point lead and leaves them looking tough to stop.

Game is being streamed live and free on the official Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7iqd1z4jCg

Brazilian Wanderson seems to be the one to watch for Krasnodar. Sebastian Driussi and Sardar Azmoun having good seasons for Zenit. Former Chelsea duo Zhirkov and Ivanovic also in the Zenit XI.

There's a potential title-deciding match in the Russian Premier Liga this evening from 7pm as 1st-placed Zenit (on 48 pts) travel to 3rd-placed Krasnodar (on 42 pts). It's a must-win for the home side with just 7 games remaining and should they win the title is all to play for; a Zenit win meanwhile gives them an 8 point lead and leaves them looking tough to stop.

Game is being streamed live and free on the official Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7iqd1z4jCg

Brazilian Wanderson seems to be the one to watch for Krasnodar. Sebastian Driussi and Sardar Azmoun having good seasons for Zenit. Former Chelsea duo Zhirkov and Ivanovic also in the Zenit XI.

This ended up being a cracking match. Zenit won 3-2 thanks to a 95th minute winner which puts them 8 points clear with 6 games remaining. They look the champs in waiting now.

It had looked like Krasnodar had rescued a point thanks to a 91st minute stunner from Mauricio Pereyra. Worth checking that goal out when they post the highlights later.

Best performance was by Krasnodar's young keeper Matvei Safonov. Only 20 and he kept his team in it with a string of top saves. Also impressive coming for crosses. He might be Russia's future number one.

Game got a bit feisty at one point with the players and two management teams having a bit of handbags.

Haven't watched a Russian football game since the days of McGeady being at Spartak but this was a good advert for it. 45 shots in the game in total.

• Advertisement

Getafe v Real Mardrid on ITV 4 tonight at 8.15

Anyone know is there a way to watch the Copa America or ACON on FTA?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Gold Cup matches are being shown live on Freesports

Liverpool Norwich starting on Sky One shortly

La Liga back on ITV4 though only three matches confirmed at this point

Matchday 1 Friday 16th August -Athletic Club vs. FC Barcelona – 8pm BST
    Matchday 2 Sunday 25th August - FC Barcelona vs. Real Betis – 8pm BST
    Matchday 3 Sunday 1st September - Villarreal CF vs. Real Madrid – 8pm BST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

La Liga back on ITV4 though only three matches confirmed at this point

Matchday 1 Friday 16th August -Athletic Club vs. FC Barcelona – 8pm BST
    Matchday 2 Sunday 25th August - FC Barcelona vs. Real Betis – 8pm BST
    Matchday 3 Sunday 1st September - Villarreal CF vs. Real Madrid – 8pm BST
    ITV4 isn't on Irish TV anymore though right?

Dunno, I use freesat and saorview. I imagine "other channels" is the way on SKY

If you subscribe to Virgin you deserve all you don't get.

CSF wrote: »
    ITV4 isn't on Irish TV anymore though right?

It's on sky on other channels. Just Google how to tune it in

A bit off topic hopefully ok as no General football chat thread but BBC Two are showing the Copa Libertadores final at 7:45pm Flamengo v River Plate on Saturday evening

Looking forward to this, a bit of South American football for free on a Saturday night, whats not to like

• Advertisement
Advertisement