Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fleadh Drogheda 2018

Options
  • 10-08-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭

Dont think there's a thread here. Is any one going, what gigs are on ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought it was back in Ennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Haven't a clue what's on.. Between gig rigs and what not I'm so confused.

I've tickets for Wolfe tones in earth

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

flazio wrote: »
    Nope in Drogheda this year and next

flazio wrote: »

Ennis for 2 years. Drogheda for 2 years. Buzz in the town is great. Just a pity the singing man got vandalised yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

It’s a huge event and they’ve done a great job so far, the town looks very well. Hopefully it won’t be spoiled by the scum subclass who, from the above post would seem to have not gone away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Based on the drunken behaviour I've seen when it was hosted elsewhere, I'll not be going near it and I only live a few miles away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Based on the drunken behaviour I've seen when it was hosted elsewhere, I'll not be going near it and I only live a few miles away.

It feels like one of those events where people from outside the town will flock here, and people inside the town should evacuate for a few days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I was there for the opening and I see no reason to evacuate, in fact the atmosphere is huge and the streets are alive....I would suggest as a local you do your part and join in. Drogheda town has never seen the likes of this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gebbel wrote: »
    I was there for the opening and I see no reason to evacuate, in fact the atmosphere is huge and the streets are alive....I would suggest as a local you do your part and join in. Drogheda town has never seen the likes of this.

I have literally zero interest in Irish music, dancing, "culture" or any of that, so there's nothing appealing to me there.

Mind, that's me and fair play to those who will enjoy it. I was on West Street the other day and it's nice to see the buzz round the town, and the cleaning job that was done in preparation, which will also have a lasting benefit to the town too. Plus always nice to hear of businesses having a boom too (mostly. I know one or two have not benefited from it).

Some crowd around yesterday when we stopped off on the way back from a spin on the bikes. I get the impression that number of people was small compared to later in the week.

Rode passed the park and ride on the south side of town on Donore rd. and it had maybe 60-70 cars in it. Where the hell did everyone who attended park ? Theres cones everywhere and serious towing in operation. Saw 3 cars get taken away yesterday.

Also as an fyi the church in Ballsgrove are offering €5 all day parking with it going to some cause (couldn't pick out what it was as I was driving by that way earlier) bit more palatable than the €10 the others cost.

• Advertisement

Gavin Duffy is an absolute moron.

Other than that, everything seems to be going well. Haven't been on the town itself just yet as I've been working a fair bit, but will get down over friday and the weekend. Not a massive lover of Irish music or such, but still love to see the town preparing and working together for something so big. I wasn't supposed to be working, so I'm annoyed that I'm missing some of it, but nonetheless I look forward to getting down there.

I really hope that the local businesses keep up the cleanliness of their stores and the floral displays and such. They really add a lot to the town in my opinion. I've been on the town early in the mornings since it started (around 5am and such) and it's great to see so many council lads floating about washing, sweeping and actually looking like they're taking a little bit of pride in it. Few of them having a great laugh this morning, despite the early hours they were rostered.

Was wondering what the deal was with all the bins in town being covered with black bags so oyu can't use them and then I noticed later in the day when I was down with the kids they are sticking out wheelie bins so they can just drive the truck around and collect the rubbish rather than having to collect bags and rebag the bins.

The flowers and lick of paint some places got have transformed the town.

@KKV did you spot the poor sod at the Weavers doing security on the pumps? Looks like they hired him to sit out all night and guard them rather than take them in and their lack of shutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

As someone who has attended 'many' a fleadh over the years i have to say the Drogheda one is right up there with them all.👍
    The music(as always) is exceptional and the atmosphere is as good as any i've witnessed anywhere.AND it's just up the road from me,so no hotel,hostel or b&b worries for this one :)

Well done Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I really hope that the local businesses keep up the cleanliness of their stores and the floral displays and such....
    I've said it here loads of times before.... There's no reason Drogheda couldn't be packed every weekend just like Kilkenny, Galway, Killarney, etc. as a weekend destination for the over 30's. The town could be thriving with the right planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Went into town to see what was happening last night, the atmosphere is brilliant, there is such a buzz about, and the town is looking fantastic. I wouldn't be a massive fan or Irish music or dance so wouldn't have purchased tickets for any of the gigs or concerts but I certainly appreciate the talent on display on literally on every street corner.

Considering the amount of food and drink being consumed, the council are playing a blinder with keeping litter under control and keeping the town pristine looking. It's fantastic to see the pubs and cafes getting such a great trade boost, the only blot on the landscape is Gavin Duffy and his pop up self promotion office. Even if he bothered his ar$e contributing to the clean up of the town, it is not the time or the place for leeching support to try and get a nomination. The day of the launch when his posters appeared on every route into the town, he wasn't even attending the launch, he was schmoozing down in Tullamore.

Are the park and rides free?

Are the park and rides free?

No think they are 5 euro..

€10 for park and ride on Donore and North Rd. €5 for the one on Marsh Rd. with no shuttle.

There are a few unofficial places I've spotted locally offering €5 parking with no shuttle but are within a 10-15 minute walk of most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

The Fleadh is the best! Wouldn't be a huge fan of trad either but there's enough variation going on in the music in the different venues and pubs to keep me happy. And the buzz and atmosphere is just top notch. Seems to be getting bigger and better every day too - roll on the weekend!!

Think I'll leave it so.

• Advertisement

For anyone not able to get along tonight,Friday,Saturday or Sunday just a reminder that TG4 are live from the Fleadh from 8:30pm - 11:30pm on all 4 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

The church in Ballsgrove are offering a daily parking rate of €5 and it's a 5 minute walk to west street.

markc1184 wrote: »
    The church in Ballsgrove are offering a daily parking rate of €5 and it's a 5 minute walk to west street.

Money going towards the local youth group according to the signs.

€10park and ride service from naomh martin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Went to Kila last night n they were amazing. Great buzz in the pubs n on the streets.
    Am heading in tomorrow - anyone recommend any gigs or groups to check out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I didn't know Kila was on, I have seen the perform years ago, it was brilliant (I cant understand a word of what they are singing but still..)

Went to legacy tonight in the dome. Great show. Got the park and ride bus from monasterboice in and out. Great buzz about the town

I'm still questioning the numbers using donore park and ride, must have been 40 cars there when I cycled by earlier. Would leave you a 10 minute walk away or depending on lights 5 on the bus and it's virtually empty so I assume most are parking out at monasterboice. How long is the bus from there to town?

Maybe most coming are avoiding the tolls and nipping in earlier off the M1 coming north.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Everyone is parking like a jerk in the town. Up on paths, grass, double yellows, residential parking only etc. I am surprised anyone is in the park and rides at all.

I could have done without the geebags singing about the Ra on the street at 1am yesterday as well.

• Advertisement

Maybe they were singing about the fleadh? ;)

uhh ahh we love the fleadh

Next couple of days are going to magic =-i honestly dont know where i'm going to start.

Advertisement