Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on where in Dublin to live

• 10-08-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Any help appreciated!
    Moving to Dublin next month and will be working in the city centre/store street and trying to figure out what parts of the city will be practical for commuting/traffic etc and what parts are too far out! Shift work too so commuting at different hours!
    Would love some advive!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wherever you can get, if you can even get somewhere. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Outside of Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

AiB123 wrote: »
    Any help appreciated!
    Moving to Dublin next month and will be working in the city centre/store street and trying to figure out what parts of the city will be practical for commuting/traffic etc and what parts are too far out! Shift work too so commuting at different hours!
    Would love some advive!

North Dublin, Baldoyle, Sutton, Portmarnock, Howth and Malahide all nice areas but like most places in Dublin quite pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Tallaght Garda station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

What is your monthly budget for rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Islandbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,687 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hi OP!
    i moved your thread here where you might get more serious responses. These mods may decide to move it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

Hi OP!
    i moved your thread here where you might get more serious responses. These mods may decide to move it as well.

Thank you! Might lower the sarcastic replies!

600-700 mark.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

600-700 mark.

You looking for a room share is it?

• Advertisement

Lambs to the slaughter. You may want to double that budget.

Yeah, house share!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,434 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

East Wall would be close for Store Street.

If it's shift work you may not be able to rely on public transport as they shut down 11ish so that really limits your options.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah, house share!

He said room share. You'd be very lucky to get a whole room at that price, unless you know someone. My advice is to go word of mouth amongst your friends and people you know.

You really need to look at living quite a bit outside of Dublin city and commuting in, places like Kildare, Maynooth etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Yeah, house share!

There's probably lot's of staff in the Dept Soc, Bus Aras and Garda Station who might have a house share spot available.

If your charms are up to it you may get someone to put a sign up in respective canteens with your name, number and requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If you're starting to work in store street Garda station and are working the guards shift pattern then your best bet is to live somewhere outside Dublin and travel in. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck. Store Street is very accessible - Commuter Rail, DART and Bus Aras are right on the doorstep.

KaneToad wrote: »
    If you're starting to work in store street Garda station and are working the guards shift pattern then your best bet is to live somewhere outside Dublin and travel in. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck. Store Street is very accessible - Commuter Rail, DART and Bus Aras are right on the doorstep.

Thanks for that. Would the likes of North suit like swords etc?

Thanks for that. Would the likes of North suit like swords etc?

Swords Express is very handy as well. Swords is a good spot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

AiB123 wrote:
    Any help appreciated! Moving to Dublin next month and will be working in the city centre/store street and trying to figure out what parts of the city will be practical for commuting/traffic etc and what parts are too far out! Shift work too so commuting at different hours! Would love some advive!

AiB123 wrote:
    Yeah, house share!

I'm living in Dublin the last 2 years. I'm in Artane north Dublin near Beaumont hospital in a nice owner occupied houseshare, quiet street. I'm paying 500 a month for a boxroom. The other renters in the house are paying 6 or 700 a month for bigger rooms and one is ensuite with own shower etc. The 27b gets me into town in about 30 mins to 40 mins in rush hour, less in the evening The 42, 15 and 27 also go from close by to Connolly.
    Killester dart station is about 25 mins walk. Great area.

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    I'm living in Dublin the last 2 years. I'm in Artane north Dublin near Beaumont hospital in a nice owner occupied houseshare, quiet street. I'm paying 500 a month for a boxroom. The other renters in the house are paying 6 or 700 a month for bigger rooms and one is ensuite with own shower etc. The 27b gets me into town in about 30 mins to 40 mins in rush hour, less in the evening The 42, 15 and 27 also go from close by to Connolly.
    Killester dart station is about 25 mins walk. Great area.

Thank you very much. Appreciate the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

This is one of of the most important questions, as the answer can seriously limit your choices.

If money is object, D1 City centre or ifsc, East wall and North wall, docklands, Spencer dock, D2, or anywhere you can find a place on the red line luas.

More likely you'll have to look at every cheap dump you can find on daft, and put money down immediately on the first thing you get approved for.

Even if money isn't an issue, you'll still be likely to be in a bidding war, or a race to put down the security deposit and first months rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

AiB123 wrote:
    600-700 mark.

That'll maybe get you a room in a shared house.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

6-7hundred will definitely get you a shared room. Move further out and you'll get your own room. Persevere, because it's a wild city out there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Killester - my home area - is also feasible. Here's a double bedroom for €520, which seems good value. You're only five minutes walk from the DART station, close to both the Malahide and Howth road for buses and have a good supermarket in Supervalu nearby.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sheeps wrote: »
    He said room share. You'd be very lucky to get a whole room at that price, unless you know someone. My advice is to go word of mouth amongst your friends and people you know.

You really need to look at living quite a bit outside of Dublin city and commuting in, places like Kildare, Maynooth etc.

I've been living in Dublin for a few years now and I have never paid more than €600 for a room to myself so it can definitely be done on his budget. It's not easy and takes patience but definitely doable.

OP, set up an alert on daft for anything under 700 and reply to everything that looks suitable as soon as you can. A lot probably won't respond because they've received loads of replies but it's a numbers game. The more you email/call, the more replies you'll get back. The issue you may have is viewings. You'd need to be able to travel down to view places and most would be on in the early evening. If you live far enough away from Dublin and are working 9-5 it could be difficult.

As for location, if I were you I'd probably set up the Daft alert for every where in the city and when one comes in, check the travel time in google maps for 8am on a Monday. That should give you a worst case scenario. Seeing as you're working in the city centre, you should have a lot of options for locations open to you if you're using public transport which is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get every network you have working on word of mouth re upcoming rooms etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Finglas and get the number 9 bus into O'Connell street a five minuit walk to Store-street.

An example.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/finglas/9-melville-square-cityside-finglas-dublin-1031849/

I've been living in Dublin for a few years now and I have never paid more than €600 for a room to myself so it can definitely be done on his budget. It's not easy and takes patience but definitely doable.

OP, set up an alert on daft for anything under 700 and reply to everything that looks suitable as soon as you can. A lot probably won't respond because they've received loads of replies but it's a numbers game. The more you email/call, the more replies you'll get back. The issue you may have is viewings. You'd need to be able to travel down to view places and most would be on in the early evening. If you live far enough away from Dublin and are working 9-5 it could be difficult.

As for location, if I were you I'd probably set up the Daft alert for every where in the city and when one comes in, check the travel time in google maps for 8am on a Monday. That should give you a worst case scenario. Seeing as you're working in the city centre, you should have a lot of options for locations open to you if you're using public transport which is good.

I've been renting in Dublin also for years at €600, getting evicted in December and have been watching prices daily. There's very very little going at those prices, that aren't single beds in shared rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Killester, Raheny, Kilbarack near the DART for that budget. DART is excellent for commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Have a look at Edenmore and Harmonstown, both are on the DART line (Raheny and Harmonstown stations) and would have you in Store street in ten minutes

Advertisement