Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stone mastic Asphalt... not so tough??

• 10-08-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've had SMA laid earlier this year under the belief that it was supposed to be more hard wearing than regular tar and chip.. I have my doubts now though..
    It seems any slight turn of a wheel is marking the driveway and in some spots even dislodging large amounts of chip.. I understand that we have had exceptionally warm weather of late but this seems to happen even on colder days and evening times so I'm not convinced that its just the heat. Spoke to my contractor to verify that it was sma he laid and not regular tar and chip and he has confirmed this. He says that it will harden over time and not happen any more.. Is this the case? If so why have i not noticed such marks on other driveways? i cant ask my visitors "could you please reverse out the way you came in?".. I'll come across as a raving lunatic:D.. I dread the oil man coming this year as it is.. I would appreciate any experience people can bestow on me on this matter as I'm no expert in this area.. I've attached some pics of a few spot of damage.. Is it me or does the sma look very loose and pourous.. I dunno, is this the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Its "porous" texture is normal as where tarmacadam has a tighter smoother structure.

As you say , we have had hot spells so maybe certain spots are thinner and due to their location had more traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

What depth was laid, was there a binder course under and what was the sub base like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

Doesn't look to be enough tar to bind the stone, might be my imagination but the stone size looks larger​ than it should be too.
    If there's a waste piece of it about bring it to your local roadstone tarmac Depot n ask them is it sma

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭247music

landcrzr wrote:
    What depth was laid, was there a binder course under and what was the sub base like?

50mm.. base was solid as stone drive previous for 10 years.. loose gravel removed, levels corrected with fresh stone and compacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭247music

enricoh wrote:
    Doesn't look to be enough tar to bind the stone, might be my imagination but the stone size looks larger​ than it should be too. If there's a waste piece of it about bring it to your local roadstone tarmac Depot n ask them is it sma

Contractor sent me copies of receipts which states sma so looks like it is.. but is there a possibility that it was not rolled enough when laid to compact it? Or could the mix be light in tar as you say.. I dont have a clue as its not an area I'm familiar with..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Either not enough binder in it or the contractor was using diesel on his tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Maybe it went down a little cold, what time of year was it?
    As far as the bitumen content is concerned, its a case of a core sample to a lab but this will cost a few Bob and you'll have a hole in your drive.
    Do you use a power washer by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭99nsr125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

What company supplied the contractor with this or what area are you in it definitely doesnt look like Kilsaran SMA or Roadstone SMA unless as was previous said it was compacted enough when required.
    To me it looks like Open textured macadam, or what we used to call cut back macadam,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

macadam wrote: »
    What company supplied the contractor with this or what area are you in it definitely doesnt look like Kilsaran SMA or Roadstone SMA unless as was previous said it was compacted enough when required.
    To me it looks like Open textured macadam, or what we used to call cut back macadam,

Hi macadam are you still around? I dropped you a pm
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement
Advertisement