Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon mirrorless

• 10-08-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

Just wondering is anybody here buying into all the hype and thinking of purchasing ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

copperhead wrote: »
    Just wondering is anybody here buying into all the hype and thinking of purchasing ?

Is there hype? It all looks like Nikon trying to create some sense of suspense or grandeur over a technology that they are late to the game in. Maybe if they were doing this 3-5 years ago I'd have been looking at moving from my Nikon DSLR to this but instead I made the move to Fuji (who had great cash back and trade-in offers at the time). Not sure why I'd move back.

I'm definitely intrigued by what they will bring to the market though. The performance of the FF sensor in particular will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Yes I think both Cannon and Nikon missed the boat with mirrorless, from what I'm reading the mount is different aswell for the new camera so all the current Nikon lenses will need an adapter of some sorts, I'm sure that won't appeal to alot of people

So, Nikon have revealed their new cameras... and the overriding response seems to be "one card slot!!!!!?"

I'm sure for many people that's a big issue (e.g. wedding photographers) but it's probably a small fraction of the market that would actually see that as a deal breaker... yet it has been blown into epic fail proportions. I definitely think it was a silly oversight by Nikon when dual slots are fairly standard now with their competitors... and in their own DSLR lines.

Other than that though... it looks a nice camera, but nothing remarkable unless you count being FF as remarkable. Personally, I prefer the physical dials you get on the Fuji's as opposed to the interface the Nikon's are offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Im actually sick to death of hearing about this one card issue and wedding photographers. What did people do when it was film or before two slots? Its ridiculous. Most Wedding photographers have two cameras anyway and i've never seen a wedding photographer using a Sony.

Im upgrading from my D7200 and ive had my heart set on the D850 for months now but i'm not sure now. Whelans camera centre in limerick have both models for a show and tell on september 9th so ill pop along and make my decision then.

Im actually sick to death of hearing about this one card issue and wedding photographers. What did people do when it was film or before two slots? Its ridiculous. Most Wedding photographers have two cameras anyway and i've never seen a wedding photographer using a Sony.

I too believe it's blown out of proportion and it's mostly just the wedding photographers that are vocal about it. However, for a wedding photographer it is VERY important. The risk of an SD card corrupting is low but it happens and I know people who have had to go to great lengths to recover files (not always successfully) from a corrupted card, and many more that have been saved by the backup card in the second slot. The reassurance of a second SD slot is worth it's weight in gold. How do you expect to explain to a couple that you lost half their wedding day because your "professional camera" only had one SD slot, when there are multitude of competitors that have been using two slots for years.

As for your question about "the time before two slots"... well, photos were lost. Hence the demand/need for 2 slots :)

Plenty of photographers (and even more videographers) use Sony btw. Plenty also use Fuji. Sony, Fuji, Nikon, Canon all offer 2 slots in their pro line cameras. So, it is a glaring omission here to have just one slot. The response is OTT, I completely agree, but for a lot of people's needs, it's been standard for years so it's crazy to them that it's not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nah, its not crazy. Nikon just decided it wasn't worth compromising to appease the wedding crowd. If you want something with two slots they have plenty of offerings, this one isnt one but its also a LOT of camera in a small package.

ED E wrote: »
    Nah, its not crazy. Nikon just decided it wasn't worth compromising to appease the wedding crowd. If you want something with two slots they have plenty of offerings, this one isnt one but its also a LOT of camera in a small package.

I'm not saying it's crazy, I'm saying that to that segment of the market (the wedding photographer/videographer), it is crazy. It's a major blocker for anyone in that business to invest in Nikon's mirrorless systems. That's where you're seeing the bulk of the "outrage" over the decision. There's a lot of frustrated Nikon (wedding) users who have been waiting years to go mirrorless with Nikon and then this happens. They are a small but vocal community and there's plenty of people happy to just jump on the bandwagon and bash Nikon which is amplifying the attention this is getting.

I agree with you anyway that they appear to have packed a lot into a mirrorless system. That sensor is the star of the show. The EVF sounds like it's larger and sharper than Fuji's current lines too (not sure how it compares to Sony). DR, image stabalisation and AF sound, from early reviews, to be fantastic. A lot of these reviews can be very fawning though, so I'm looking forward to a Fuji shooters review of it.

Next friday in Whelans in Limerick, ill decide if its the 850 or mirrorless.

They will have both cameras in the shop that day

Next friday in Whelans in Limerick, ill decide if its the 850 or mirrorless.

They will have both cameras in the shop that day

Cool... report back on your thoughts on the z7 either way.

I see Canon are announcing their mirrorless system next week now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

These two kinda get my back up at times but if their concerns are real that could be problematic.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    Cool... report back on your thoughts on the z7 either way.

I see Canon are announcing their mirrorless system next week now too.

Actually its on in O Learys camera world in cork the following day(8th) so ill go to that instead.

Actually its on in O Learys camera world in cork the following day(8th) so ill go to that instead.

Oh really... they doing a demo or something? What time? I'd nearly pop in myself for a look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Got my paws on this today in O'Learys.
    The Nikon rep only had the Z 7 with him but assured me that externally and the whole weight / form factor is identical other than the badge.
    I have to say I was impressed. It felt very comfortable in the hand, very solid and well built. For me it felt better in the hand than the Sony A7 but that's going to vary with everyone. The focusing speed is superb as is the ability to move the focus points around the screen very quickly with the joystick. He had the new 24-70 on it but also had the adaptor and a couple of his own lenses and they worked beautifully with it as well.

I was interested to see that there's no glass in the adapter. It's basically a ring full of electronics which places older lens at the distance from the sensor that they were designed for and hence has no effect on the aperture ( as a converter does) so a 2.8 lens is still a 2.8 etc...

The other thing was the battery life. He claims that they're getting 1200 to 1500 photos per charge whereas the blurb on the camera claims only a quarter of that so that was interesting to hear.

For me it's a yes anyway... To be fair he was pointing me towards the Z 6 as it would be more suited to what I'm doing. In his opinion the Z 7 will be the domain of those doing large scale fine art and landscapes whereas the 6 will be more suitable for general use, sports and most event photography.

I'm currently still using 2 x D3s' which are past their sell by date - still a great workhorse but getting long in the tooth now so I need to replace those as well.. The rep reckons a good 2nd hand D4s and a Z6 would fulfil all my needs at less than the price of one D5 so my head is spinning now trying to figure out my best options. Bottom line though is that I've decided that I will be getting a Z 6 in any case !!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Got my paws on this today in O'Learys.
    The Nikon rep only had the Z 7 with him but assured me that externally and the whole weight / form factor is identical other than the badge.
    I have to say I was impressed. It felt very comfortable in the hand, very solid and well built. For me it felt better in the hand than the Sony A7 but that's going to vary with everyone. The focusing speed is superb as is the ability to move the focus points around the screen very quickly with the joystick. He had the new 24-70 on it but also had the adaptor and a couple of his own lenses and they worked beautifully with it as well.

I was interested to see that there's no glass in the adapter. It's basically a ring full of electronics which places older lens at the distance from the sensor that they were designed for and hence has no effect on the aperture ( as a converter does) so a 2.8 lens is still a 2.8 etc...

The other thing was the battery life. He claims that they're getting 1200 to 1500 photos per charge whereas the blurb on the camera claims only a quarter of that so that was interesting to hear.

For me it's a yes anyway... To be fair he was pointing me towards the Z 6 as it would be more suited to what I'm doing. In his opinion the Z 7 will be the domain of those doing large scale fine art and landscapes whereas the 6 will be more suitable for general use, sports and most event photography.

I'm currently still using 2 x D3s' which are past their sell by date - still a great workhorse but getting long in the tooth now so I need to replace those as well.. The rep reckons a good 2nd hand D4s and a Z6 would fulfil all my needs at less than the price of one D5 so my head is spinning now trying to figure out my best options. Bottom line though is that I've decided that I will be getting a Z 6 in any case !!! :(

Got my hands on the Z7 on Friday in Whelan's, it felt solid, not too small, was very happy with it, Adrian was very good tbf ( yes I understand it's his job) like you he said the Z6 would probably suit most photographers fine. The 24-70 was sharp but would have been nice if it was an f2.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Is there a list of lenses that are compatible with the new mirrorless adapter? I'm looking to get another camera body to compliment my D750 and had been looking at the D850 but maybe I should also consider the Z6. I'm mainly shooting sports.

Edit...FTZ adapter compatibility https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/mirrorless/lenses/ftz.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

No electronic rangefinder for AF and AI lenses :-O That's gak.

Advertisement