Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailing Question

Options
  • 10-08-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody knows, how much rent you would need to pay in advance, to secure a lease within one of Dublin's larger shopping centres.

I know it's very difficult to get into one of these centres, but I'm interested in understanding the cost differences versus locating somewhere else.

Thanks,

Deisceart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It varies a little bit but you're likely looking at 2-3 months but have seen 6. Looked at a few shopping centre locations in the past and it wasn't that much worse than high St locations that were owned by corps. Other difference will be they'll likely want access to accounts as well which you often don't get as much with private landlords. The main difficulty I've found is if you're a small retailer competing against a known name you have virtually no chance a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Depends on the centre and your business financial standing and what your business is.

If there are empty units and you have think you'd be a goos mix for the centre you could get a one month deposit and monthly payments.

The norm is quarterly in advance.

But shopping centres are expensive. A 780sq ft unit on ground floor of blanchardstown recently got reviewed at €160,000. You then have about €20,000 service charge and similar rates. That's 200k a year.

Smiggle in Dundrum are paying 200k rent for that tiny shop. Again, add 35-40k in rates and service charge.

Advertisement