Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Scotland

Options
  • 10-08-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Will I need a passport to go to Scotland with Aer Lingus, or can I travel with my social welfare card with picture on it and my birth cert

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Alannealis wrote: »
    Will I need a passport to go to Scotland with Aer Lingus, or can I travel with my social welfare card with picture on it and my birth cert

In theory the Common Travel Area means no, but practical experience of dealing with immigration and airlines (including official advice here) strongly suggests having a passport with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I fly between Edinburgh and Knock a few times a year and know that I only need photo ID for boarding with Flybe (Arrivals from Ireland Edinburgh all come through the "Channel Islands and Republic of Ireland" doors), however I always use my Passport anyways as it's my only form of ID at the moment.

Seeing as you said you're going with Aer Lingus, I'm guessing you're flying via Dublin? The problem you might have is that on the return leg, there isn't any segregation of flights from Britain or elsewhere, so everyone landing into T1 has to go through the same passport control. It couldn't hurt to call up Aer Lingus, or DAA (if that's where you're flying to) about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Do you need your passport? No.
    Will that ID work? Don’t know.

I’ve travelled with Aer Lingus to and from Dublin on my UK driving licence before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Alannealis wrote: »
    Will I need a passport to go to Scotland with Aer Lingus

No.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/
    Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo

Advertisement