Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway cycle.

Options
  • 11-08-2018 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am heading to Westport at the weekend with my partner and we were hoping to bring our bikes and do the greenway cycle from Westport to Achill.

Just wondering as I have never done this trail before or know very little about it, is the trail suitable for road bikes?

Any advice or knowledge of the trail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seadin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Definitely suitable for road bikes.

Full details here: www.greenway.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I did it recently on my road bike with 25mm tyres and it was absolutely fine.
    I reduced the tyre pressures to 80 PSI to reduce the risk of punctures on the fine grit surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

are you planning to cycle out and back or just 1 way? the stretch from Achill to Mulranny in particular is quite stunning, great scenery, lovely and peaceful the day I did it anyway.
    from Mulranny to Newport is nice and Newport itself is a nice spot for a rest. Newport to Westport mixes road and segregated paths, though I know they were working on it 2 years ago when I was there last. there's a short scenic stretch as you approach Westport and also a surprising little climb if you decide to stick on the greenway right into town!

wind will most likely be in your face if going Westport -> Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

I have done it on my road bike with 23mm tyres and it was okay. I had my young lads with me and they were on their mountain bikes. So I wore my runners instead of my cycling shoes as it would be a pain in the a$$ clipping in and out all day as I waited for them. It's an enjoyable cycle with lots to see and plenty of places to stop off at and get a bite to eat. There are some nice testing gradients but nothing to trouble you especially when you see young kids flying up them on their 24'' wheels. You will also experience the 4 seasons as you progress towards Achill, wind, rain sunshine etc. so dress appropriately. If you are an experienced cyclist and you're not comfortable on the greenway then you are always very close to a main road so you swap the loose quarry dust for asphalt.
    Enjoy.
    Up Mayo!

Advertisement