Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear gears still not indexing correctly

Options
  • 11-08-2018 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

My 8 speed cassette system still isn't changing gears cleanly and hops a few up and down.
    I've fitted a new derailleur, hanger/dropout, cable and shifter.
    I know my chain is very worn.
    There's a lot of wear on the largest front sprocket (which I've stopped using) but the other 2 front sprockets and cassette has minimal wear.

Would a worn chain stop correct indexing?
    I'm getting sick of throwing money at this thing to get it to index correctly.

It's a CB Levante if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've any issues related to worn drivetrain, the chain is usually the first thing you replace; if the big ring up front is visibly worn and you're still on the first chain, the chain is shot. replacing the RD, etc., may not have done anything to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Zebbedee wrote: »
    My 8 speed cassette system still isn't changing gears cleanly and hops a few up and down.
    I've fitted a new derailleur, hanger/dropout, cable and shifter.
    I know my chain is very worn.
    There's a lot of wear on the largest front sprocket (which I've stopped using) but the other 2 front sprockets and cassette has minimal wear.

Would a worn chain stop correct indexing?
    I'm getting sick of throwing money at this thing to get it to index correctly.

It's a CB Levante if that makes any difference.

Yes a worn chain would cause gearing issues , and as a rule of thumb you replace a chain and cassette together , and as you know the front ring is worn too , you should replace this at the same time as it will do your new chain no good .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

sullzz wrote: »
    Yes a worn chain would cause gearing issues , and as a rule of thumb you replace a chain and cassette together , and as you know the front ring is worn too , you should replace this at the same time as it will do your new chain no good .

You replace your cassette every time you replace a chain? I only ever replace my cassette when it's worn which is usually every 2nd or 3rd chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

You replace your cassette every time you replace a chain? I only ever replace my cassette when it's worn which is usually every 2nd or 3rd chain.

Nope I don’t , because I never let the chain get to the point where it becomes stretched and starts to cause problems like hopping gears .
    If it’s neglected then it’s a case of replacing both cassette and chain .

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

How much would I expect to pay for chain replacement in a bike shop?
    I'm assuming it would be less than if I bought the chain and special link remover tool myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zebbedee wrote: »
    How much would I expect to pay for chain replacement in a bike shop?
    I'm assuming it would be less than if I bought the chain and special link remover tool myself.
    Probably not as bike shops tend to supply more expensive chains than are available online. I never spend more than €20 on a chain (10 speed) and less for the MTB and single speed. Once you buy a chain tool, you'll always have it and it's a fairly small initial outlay - from €10 upwards.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-universal-chain-breaker-tool/rp-prod1625

Advertisement