Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the mushroom poisonous?

Options
  • 11-08-2018 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what it is but plenty in the garden..

IMG_20180810_190759.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

golden rule - if in any doubt, don't attempt to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

golden rule - if in any doubt, don't attempt to eat it.

Yeah a friend of mine lost both kidneys over the wrong mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Brown roll rim, Paxillus involutus. I'm guessing you have some Birch trees nearby? it's poisonous, potentially deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Brown roll rim, Paxillus involutus. I'm guessing you have some Birch trees nearby? it's poisonous, potentially deadly

Is there an online guide for identifying mushrooms? We have a couple sprouting in the lawn currently and I'd like to know what type they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

padraig.od wrote: »
    Is there an online guide for identifying mushrooms? We have a couple sprouting in the lawn currently and I'd like to know what type they are

I wouldn't mess about relying on an online picture. There are just too many similar variants.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mess about relying on an online picture. There are just too many similar variants.

I'm not looking at messing about with them, just wondering how concerned I should be of one of the kids eating some. I pick one when it I see it currently but I can't walk the entire lawn every morning hunting mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks, Yea i've 3 mature birch close to them, there growing a lot near a maple tree.
    Can they poison just by touch as in lets say the kids pulled them up and then ate without washing their hands could they poison themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Here is a link to an online guide that I found reliable in the past. The pictures are of sufficiently high definition .....depends on your device how clearly you see them.
    http://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

Some mushroom poisonings will show the first symptoms when it's already too late for anything to be done. And remember, all mushrooms are edible, but some only once.

Here is a link to an online guide that I found reliable in the past. The pictures are of sufficiently high definition .....depends on your device how clearly you see them.
    http://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks

I have attached pictures of two varieties that I found in the garden. I can't find either of them on the list. I suspect I know what the first one might be. I have no intention of consuming anything!

Can anyone confirm what they are?

I have attached pictures of two varieties that I found in the garden. I can't find either of them on the list. I suspect I know what the first one might be. I have no intention of consuming anything!

Can anyone confirm what they are?

This is the final variety I found. It is more yellow than the others and has a much different shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The last three look like psilocybin muchrooms, also known as magic mushrooms.
    I would definately not recommend consumption.
    Fungi are a fascinating field but not good for experimentation.
    In France you can bring any mushrooms you pick to a pharmacist and they will tell you if they are edible or not, the issue is when you mix edible and non edible mushrooms together, it takes very little to accidentally eat some toxic mushroom and cause damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Wrong season for magic mushies and there is a common poisonous mushroom that looks a lot like them - and a lot like your pics.

The only way to know for absolutely sure is to look at a spore print under a microscope.

Even experts can be fooled on just looking at the mushroom itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its better because of the soft matter of fact way he told it :D

Thanks everyone. I won't be consuming anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Its very hard to identify a mushroom (in the hand) by looking at pictures in a book (or online). I got a field guide as a present many moons ago, and it said the best way was to follow a "key". This Key is a series of straightforward questions, like Does it have gills? Is it open or closed? What colour spores does it leave on a sheet of paper? And each question links to another, gradually narrowing it down until you have just 1 or 2 or 3 possibilities and only then you look at the pictures.

I am sure there must be Keys online, but dont have time to find a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

think I'll stick with supervalu..;)

Although not too any years ago we would gather wild mushrooms in abundance ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Quite fascinating how the toxicity of some mushrooms is only brought on by alcohol consumption.

If it had happened in America Guinness would have been sued for millions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All mushrooms are edible, some of them only once. :rolleyes:

All mushrooms are edible, some of them only once. :rolleyes:

Ah Gloomtastic you'll have to pay more attention, you were beaten to that quote a while back:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You should see some of the ones my friend foraged in the Curragh.

458302.jpg

Do you have any recollection of your 'friend' before the forage?

Do you have any recollection of your 'friend' before the forage?

He's still going. He gave them to his cousin, she made a tea with some of them and passed on the rest to her hippy friends. I go to tesco/aldi if I fancy mushrooms.

beertons wrote: »
    He's still going. He gave them to his cousin, she made a tea with some of them and passed on the rest to her hippy friends. I go to tesco/aldi if I fancy mushrooms.

Lol your use of the phrase 'passed on' might be quite appropriate here!

I meant that it was actually you who was foraging and your 'friend' appeared soon after:). Damn jokes never work through text!

I wouldn't know where to look. The Curragh is massive. I'm more of a coffee man anyway!

I give up.

I give up.

My bad. Sober 2 weeks. I'm kinda losing my mojo.

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    My bad. Sober 2 weeks. I'm kinda losing my mojo.

:)
    Stick with it, gave it up for six months last year (i'm due another break), after a month you realise that it is 99% habit and its easy then.

The getting of the jokes comes back!

Advertisement