Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you wear glasses?

• 11-08-2018 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a text form specsavers to say my glasses (vari-focal) are ready for collection, so today is the day i start to wear glasses on a regular basis (i'm gettin old :o )

So what are the do's & don't's about wearing them?

Will they make me look more mature & sophisticated, will they help me attract the opposite sex??

btw - how about kissing? would i need to take them off whilst snogging?

do you wear glasses 182 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    78% 142 votes
    contact lenses
    21% 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

I get told I look much more attractive or cute with my glasses on. They also make me look older than I am by a year or two.
    No idea about the kissing situation as my glasses are usually off when I'm kissing I just realised :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

Only when I'm driving, at a football match, and some TV watching (and every time watching football).

Never aside from that, as I look like a fuppin backstard pedrophile priest in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I got some about 8 months ago. We have an optician that comes into the office once a month and I got tested. Turns out the focal length of my eyes are different by a few feet. So when I'm walking around or watching TV I'm fine but my eyes get sore and watery after a long time at a computer.

My only recommendation would be to get a good solid hard case to carry them in. In tiger you can but a packet of wipes for clearing them. Also you can get a free pair with basic frames on PRSI. So get a back up pair and leave them at work. There have been a few times where I've left mine at home and that free pair have been so handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    Never aside from that, as I look like a fuppin backstard pedrophile priest in them.

Wear these?

Jeffrey_Dahmer_Sheriffs_1991_mugshot.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/may/01/why-does-it-seem-like-serial-killers-all-wear-the-same-glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I've been wearing them constantly since I was 17, tried wearing lenses but they were a pain to put in and I'm too afraid to get laser eye surgery.

You just get used to them after a while and I can't imagine life without them now.

I used to go for really small lenses to try an hide the fact I have glasses but I think the Hank Marvin style ones I have now are much better looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Yes, I wear glasses mostly when I driving and watching TV. Contacts for going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Since I was 16, am 36 now.
    People say I suit glasses thankfully.

I would recommend buying glasses online tbh.
    Speccyfoureyes goggles4u are very decent and mad cheap compared to specsavers and the like.

I have contacts but rare I wear them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No , I've no ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Have mine since I'm 14 and never worn contacts in my life. I'm a clumsy person and I know I'd like my eye out trying to put them in.
    But honestly I love wearing glasses, my eyes are quite in sh1te for my age but I'm comfortable wearing them and they suit me. I recently changed from my usual shape to something new and I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I got my first and last pair when about 16. They were dated as fcuk by the time I finished college, even moreso when I eventually started wearing them daily in my mid 20s as the contacts got to be a pain (literally).

Got the zap zap about 10 years ago now. Best ~€1000 I ever spent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've worn them all my adult life and really don't think about them much nor am I often even aware of them. What I would say about vari vocals is that they take a bit of getting used to, even for someone who always wore glasses. Persevere with them because they are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have worn glasses since I was about 4 apart from my self conscious teenage years/early 20s where I refused to wear them and had been told anyway that it wouldn't do much harm. I wore them for reading and TV though. Since then I have worn them full time, I couldn't do without them and I love wearing them. I have recently got a slightly different shape frame that I really like. I was told I will need varifocals in a year or so, it is an age thing apparently, they are the business though so I believe :)

Varifocals take a bit of getting used to. Especially when climbing stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Varifocals take a bit of getting used to. Especially when climbing stairs.

Not recommended for older people who are a bit wobbly on their feet.....they easily misjudge the depth of a step when looking down through the reading part,making them more prone to falling....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

theteal wrote: »
    I got my first and last pair when about 16. They were dated as fcuk by the time I finished college, even moreso when I eventually started wearing them daily in my mid 20s as the contacts got to be a pain (literally).

Got the zap zap about 10 years ago now. Best ~€1000 I ever spent!

I've worn spectacles since my teens. I don't think about them. Over the years I've considered laser treatment. It always seemed that there were negative as well as positive aspects to laser correction. What's your opinion? Is that true today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I need glasses for driving, watching tv etc. have had varifocals for the past while and still adjusting to them.
    Would wear contacs when I can but can’t read my phone with them in. Ya can’t win.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep, had glasses since I was 12 and could no longer read the blackboard in school. Hated them at first but got used to them eventually. I’m very shortsighted and really can’t do without them.

Tried contacts around 2000 but found them uncomfortable (even the soft Acuvue ones) so ditched them. Over the past decade I found myself taking the glasses off more and more to read books and smartphones, so got varifocals recently but they aren’t easy getting used to.

I’d be lost without my specs!

Thinking of the option of laser treatment. It’s become a lot more affordable in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I have glasses but haven't gotten used to wearing them. I often forget and only realise when my eyes get tired/sore and things start to get blurry :/ I mainly need them for work since I spend the day looking at a screen.

indioblack wrote: »
    I've worn spectacles since my teens. I don't think about them. Over the years I've considered laser treatment. It always seemed that there were negative as well as positive aspects to laser correction. What's your opinion? Is that true today?

I went to have laser treatment and was refused as the degree of astigmatism was outside safe levels.

Family and friends have had laser treatment successfully but needed reading glasses as they got older.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Didn't Dennis Taylor back in the day wear varifocals when he was playing the snooker and Deirdre from Corrie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

I went to have laser treatment and was refused as the degree of astigmatism was outside safe levels.

Family and friends have had laser treatment successfully but needed reading glasses as they got older.
    Thanks. Yes, that was the kind of complications I was thinking of. Glasses are something I don't think about - they're just part of the package! Every few years, though, I wonder what it would be like without them. I've rarely had spectacles that I'm completely happy with - as regards appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Didn't Dennis Taylor back in the day wear varifocals when he was playing the snooker and Deirdre from Corrie?

43f894b3dfad49cb66d4b7c2b185824c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

indioblack wrote: »

Well my story of laser treatment is overwhelmingly positive - even though the company that did it hit the wall about 5 months after I had the procedure. I've not had any issues whatsoever, as mentioned it's been about 10 years now. My vision is still perfect - as far as I know although I've not had it tested since I went in to have the "needs corrective lenses" bit removed from my drivers licence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

2 things that annoy me about glasses (which aren't really major issues). Keeping them clean. I don't know if it's just me but I'm constantly seeing dirt on them no matter how much I wipe them and they are a nightmare when you get caught in the rain. Other than that I've had them for about 15 years and it's as natural as wearing pants or a shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Yes I do wear glasses for driving. I also wear them going shopping. I’ve had glasses since I was 13 and I’ve been told I’m 5% colour blind too. I’d love to be able to use contacts but I’m too squeamish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Nothing more doopy than glasses and a baseball cap .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

fryup wrote: »
    btw - how about kissing? would i need to take them off whilst snogging?

Don't take them off too long beforehand.

Or, if you do, don't put them back on until she is out of sight.

You don't want to suddenly realise you've shifted an uggo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Oasis1974 wrote: »

Dennis Taylor played Deidre from Corrie??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

2 things that annoy me about glasses (which aren't really major issues). Keeping them clean. I don't know if it's just me but I'm constantly seeing dirt on them no matter how much I wipe them and they are a nightmare when you get caught in the rain. Other than that I've had them for about 15 years and it's as natural as wearing pants or a shirt.

When I first got glasses as a kid that aspect of them used to drive me crackers, I was hyper sensitive to any smudge of dirt that landed on them. Nowadays I could walk around with a crack in the lense and barely notice. I enjoy letting the dirt accumulate for a day or two and then giving them a wipe 'cos then everything looks so fresh and HD.

I'd love to get the lazer, but sure when am I ever going to have the spare grand lying around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. Since I was around 9 years old. The only member of the family that requires them. Shortsighted to the degree that I can work on wristwatches without magnification. Must have gotten the dodgy gene from the milkman. Oddly enough the sight didn't deteriorate much at all over time. The prescription I got at 9 is not far off what I have now. Don't require reading glasses or varifocals as yet. Then again my dad didn't need them until he was well into his seventies. I've noticed mates of mine from about 40 onwards reading further and further away, until they're in need of putting books onto a selfie stick. :D

The problem I found down the years was when I'd go for a test and new lenses the new script would be overcompensated and major headaches and eye strain would ensue. So inevitably I'd have to go back and insist they dial it down. They'd be all you need to get used to them. fair enough and I'd try, but the headaches would remain a month later. Every single time.

Just got tested for new glasses the other week(my old ten year old ones are fecked) and TBH I'm kinda dreading that they'll overdo it again and it'll be another back and forth. Hopefully not as testing tech has come on since. But if they're wrong back I'll go. They're my eyes after all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Shpud2 wrote: »
    I get told I look much more attractive or cute with my glasses on. They also make me look older than I am by a year or two.
    No idea about the kissing situation as my glasses are usually off when I'm kissing I just realised :o

By a year or two no less. Quite the striking change in appearance I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just back from specsavers, don't know how i feel about them there going to take a while to get used to....one thing i will say is when looking in the mirror it shows up every wrinkle, pimple and blemish on you face, and fuk me i look old :( depressed now

anyway here's the ones i got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

A lifetime of squinting at EPG’s / HUD’s across the room told me I needed glasses, as did dame edna herself yet vanity would not permit but eventually I manned up and addressed it.

Also what fryup said :o no thanks; I’m with Jeffrey everything looks better blurred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wow, surprised at how few people don't wear glasses. Anyway, no. I don't. I've great eyesight. I get an eye test every year as we get them free at work. My Dad is blind in one eye but that was due to a childhood accident. He started wearing reading glasses in his late 40's. My Mother is in her early 50's and just started wearing reading glasses. So will probably need them at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I wear them for driving, tv, matches, anything long distance basically.

Got them aged 17 and realistically I should have had them much earlier as I have vivid memories of being down the back of maths class and the whiteboard was even more indecipherable than it should have been due to me being blind as a bat.

Still remember the day I collected my first pair in specsavers and walked out into the shopping centre, mouth wide open, marvelling at how the world wasnt actually supposed to look like a blurred mess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

In my 40's, so I suppose I will have to at some stage. Still have 20/20 for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Have worn then continuously since my early 20's. Having to keep switching between sumglases and clear ones when driving is a pain. I also do open water swim racing and it can be a pain trying to see the next buoy, I usually just follow the swimmers in front (must get perscription goggles).

A lot more kids seem to wear them now, so it's not like when I was in school and only a couple of kids had then and were slagged continuously.! A couple of my own kids wear them for reading in school and have never been called speccy four eyes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No, but I probably need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. Nobody in my family has needed glasses under the age of 70 so hopefully I won't either. It's something that has struck me as a teacher though, how many teenagers wear glasses now compared to when I was in school. It would be typical for a third to a half of any class to have them in my experience. Not sure if it's down to declining eyesight or just more widespread testing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Nope, got my eyes zapped.
    20/20 vision BABY!
    Deaf as **** though.
    What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Wheelchairs for the eyes.

I wear them for driving, and sometimes while watching television.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Get laser (if eligible) you will never look back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Get laser (if eligible) you will never look back

Am petrified I will never look again ...probs will, better be eligible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For decades for reading and eg embroidery. Used to get eye tests but then when I moved house time before last the dratted glasses vanished and could not get an appointment for weeks... Kind lady told me re glasses at the pharmacy so I buy them and sometimes eg aldi have them for e3..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Contact lenses here. I got them years ago in Canada when I got fed up with my glasses not only fogging over when I came in from outside, but frosting over.
    I do own glasses, but I very rarely wear them.

I've been wearing glasses since I was a teenager, I'm very short-sighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Glasses/contact lenses. Am terrified of getting le zap zap done to my eyes because it went wrong for one of my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I've had glasses since I was about nine or ten. I was very self-conscious then and only wore them in school or when I was watching TV. I started wearing contacts when I was sixteen but I got a nasty eye infection and I was told if it happened again I could lose the sight in my eye.

That's when I copped on to myself and just decided to wear my glasses all the time. I'm very short-sighted so I have them on all the time, as soon as I wake in the morning I reach for them, they're my eyes basically!

I definitely think I look better with contacts in so I do wear contacts on nights out or for special occasions. I don't find contacts comfortable to wear at all and after the infection there's no way I'd risk my sight wearing them all the time. I wouldn't mind laser surgery but it would be very expensive and I don't have the money so I'm happy enough to just wear the glasses. I don't think about it much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Since I was 6. Im long sighted so I can't even get the laser surgery as my prescription is too high

• Advertisement
Advertisement