Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people still go to Dubai with its contempt for basic human rights?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

That woman’s story has been exposed as a pack of lies.

Dubai is a great place for a holiday.

Has it? How?

She was arrested for an invalid visa, filming in an unauthorised area and abusing the immigration official.

This has been shown at least twice in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamsiek wrote: »
    They're not hosting it. Qatar is hosting it

yeah i forgot that. it's also a hellhole and shouldn't be given such the fantastic chance of hosting the world cup.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Has it? How?

The woman was travelling on an invalid visa/passport, she was abusive, and she filmed the immigration people despite being asked to stop.

She got what she deserved and no amount of social justice warrior ranting can change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Did you mean this woman.....

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/travel-news/british-woman-arrested-in-dubai-after-ordering-wine-on-emirates-flight/news-story/bfe8481739e1b08a1dddbf6224326727

Dubai Sounds like a right good place for a holiday.

I won't be going to Dubai, too much sand for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I wonder if we could enforce that over here?

Why would you want to?

Live and let live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has it? How?

Oh dear God, I give up.

I really do.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Oh dear God, I give up.

I really do.

Twice at least it's been demonstrated - there are none so blind as those who will not see what is staring them in the face as it does not suit their narrative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why do Westerners still choose to live and holiday there?

Greed &/ lacking morals are two reasons off the top of my head. I refused to visit that part of the world last year, mush the same as I'd refuse to visit Russia or other parts of the world where I disagree with their Government's policies or prevailing public opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

badtoro wrote: »
    Greed &/ lacking morals are two reasons off the top of my head. I refused to visit that part of the world last year, mush the same as I'd refuse to visit Russia or other parts of the world where I disagree with their Government's policies or prevailing public opinions.

Knock China off the list for their human rights record, so.

Oh, and the US for their institutionalised racism, f**ked up politics and rampant consumerism.

Most of South America would be out because of the dictatorships that operate there.

South Africa is out because of the endemic corruption and the threat of physical violence.

Do I even need to mention Israel?

And I could go on. Pretty much most countries outside of Europe have some form of human rights violations that would preclude you from going there.

Actually, look East and there are a few countries in Europe with unsavoury characters running the show.

You know what, staycations are underrated. I'm going to Dingle next year. Is Fungi still a thing? At least I can get a pint in peace there.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Knock China off the list for their human rights record, so.

Oh, and the US for their institutionalised racism, f**ked up politics and rampant consumerism.

Most of South America would be out because of the dictatorships that operate there.

South Africa is out because of the endemic corruption and the threat of physical violence.

Do I even need to mention Israel?

And I could go on. Pretty much most countries outside of Europe have some form of human rights violations that would preclude you from going there.

Actually, look East and there are a few countries in Europe with unsavoury characters running the show.

You know what, staycations are underrated. I'm going to Dingle next year. Is Fungi still a thing? At least I can get a pint in peace there.

He is still there I believe but I suspect it's like Sooty and we're on to the fourth "Fungi" now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 howdido

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why do Westerners still choose to live and holiday there?

Enjoy staying in Ireland the rest of your life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There’s two types of Irish people that go to Dubai.

The first type go to work

The second type go to tell people they’ve been to Dubai.

howdido wrote: »

In answer to your username, could try harder.

In answer to your username, could try harder.
    I must admit I chuckled at this!
    In all fairness I doubt you've never wore NIKE clothing even though they've had slave factories in China. I also doubt you judge other people for wearing the same. Likewise I think its unfair to judge people just because they live / holiday in Dubai. 
    You are also missing out on seeing the vast majority of the world if you don't visit any place where you disagree with the politics.

In all fairness I doubt you've never wore NIKE clothing even though they've had slave factories in China. I also doubt you judge other people for wearing the same. Likewise I think its unfair to judge people just because they live / holiday in Dubai. 
    You are also missing out on seeing the vast majority of the world if you don't visit any place where you disagree with the politics.

Quick, look over there.

I choose my politics, my likes & dislikes on a case by case basis and base my thoughts on this. I dont let other peoples agendas pick for me, such as making global statements on human rights etc.

The world is as the world is, anyone looking to live in a perfect world may as well head for the nearest high bridge because they won't find it in this lifetime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I object to Ireland's policy of rising house prices, no repossessions, and staged homeless acts. Where does that leave me?

Quick, look over there.

I choose my politics, my likes & dislikes on a case by case basis and base my thoughts on this. I dont let other peoples agendas pick for me, such as making global statements on human rights etc.

The world is as the world is, anyone looking to live in a perfect world may as well head for the nearest high bridge because they won't find it in this lifetime.

So to summarize your statement you’re a hypocrite

So to summarize your statement you’re a hypocrite

Show me some one who ain't. I suit myself like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Quick, look over there.

and it is how YOU/|We live that matters. Visiting a place does not mean approval or being a hypocrite. Bad things go on everywhere. and there is beauty everywhere.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    I object to Ireland's policy of rising house prices, no repossessions, and staged homeless acts. Where does that leave me?

hopefully with a safe roof over your head..;)

Graces7 wrote: »
    and it is how YOU/|We live that matters. Visiting a place does not mean approval or being a hypocrite. Bad things go on everywhere. and there is beauty everywhere.

The greater the contribution to the economy/society the higher the approval. By working in and visiting such places people are contributing to the Government's there. It's the average Joe level of Trump meeting Kim.

One of the best things we could do in developed nations would be to totally end our addiction to oil & gas. Let the middle East tribes, tin pot dictators, and others lose their importance and leave them at it.

Unfortunately due to the practicalities of the world there are few of us who's lives are untouched by products from places like those, be it petrol or clothing. Those are domestic economic choices forced on many due to our own national/system issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

the media should be reporting every single human rights abuse that goes on in this and other hell holes if and where possible.

Like China, Israel and Russia, if there's money being made the west will turn a blind eye.

The greater the contribution to the economy/society the higher the approval. By working in and visiting such places people are contributing to the Government's there. It's the average Joe level of Trump meeting Kim.

One of the best things we could do in developed nations would be to totally end our addiction to oil & gas. Let the middle East tribes, tin pot dictators, and others lose their importance and leave them at it.

Unfortunately due to the practicalities of the world there are few of us who's lives are untouched by products from places like those, be it petrol or clothing. Those are domestic economic choices forced on many due to our own national/system issues.

Back to isolationism? And to cave dwelling? To some kind of??? cult??

We need other countries and they need us.

That is the level we start at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

I live in Dubai and have done so for six years.
    I met my wife here. She came here in 2005 on her own as a 21 year old accounting fresher. With the money she earned here she was able to support her parents back home in the Philippines, educate her younger brothers and pay for her mother’s chemotherapy.

Hundreds of thousands of others from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Thailand, Bangladesh, Egypt, Myanmar and various African and South American countries have had similar experiences and are very thankful to the Emiratis for creating a land of opportunity here in the UAE, without which their lives would be very much harder in their home countries. But you never hear about that in threads like this.

I live in Dubai and have done so for six years.
    I met my wife here. She came here in 2005 on her own as a 21 year old accounting fresher. With the money she earned here she was able to support her parents back home in the Philippines, educate her younger brothers and pay for her mother’s chemotherapy.

Hundreds of thousands of others from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Thailand, Bangladesh, Egypt, Myanmar and various African and South American countries have had similar experiences and are very thankful to the Emiratis for creating a land of opportunity here in the UAE, without which their lives would be very much harder in their home countries. But you never hear about that in threads like this.

Thank you for this. and I agree wholeheartedly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

it's rank hypocrisy.

people who will malign ireland for its treatment of women/travellers/ the homeless etc will in the next breath tell you they're just back from a place with indentured servitude, gross and flagrant human rights abuses with the wholesale repression of women and gays.

Ireland isnt that bad a place to be a woman.

There are worse. Believe me.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Back to isolationism? And to cave dwelling? To some kind of??? cult??

We need other countries and they need us.

That is the level we start at.

Never said any of that.

Never said any of that.

"One of the best things we could do in developed nations would be to totally end our addiction to oil & gas. Let the middle East tribes, tin pot dictators, and others lose their importance and leave them at it.

Unfortunately due to the practicalities of the world there are few of us who's lives are untouched by products from places like those, be it petrol or clothing. Those are domestic economic choices forced on many due to our own national/system issues."

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭cagefactor

OP, let's ignore the facts that her passport was expired. Wonder what happens if you show up at Dublin Airport with an expired passport.

cagefactor wrote: »
    OP, let's ignore the facts that her passport was expired. Wonder what happens if you show up at Dublin Airport with an expired passport.

She's peddling the lies again today - the Mail have really bought into her ****e:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6059587/They-spat-pulled-hair-feared-Id-raped-Kent-mother-jailed-Dubai.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

cagefactor wrote: »

Yep, I wonder what happens if you show up in Ireland/Britain/America without the right paperwork, start giving the immigration staff grief, and start filming them despite it being prohibited.

It reminds me of the outrage when a couple (one if them Irish) were arrested in Dubai for sexual behaviour in the back of a taxi. It was conveniently ignored that they were warned two or three times previously...first by local security, then by the police. It was only when the next level arrived that they were arrested.

Yep, I wonder what happens if you show up in Ireland/Britain/America without the right paperwork, start giving the immigration staff grief, and start filming them despite it being prohibited.

It reminds me of the outrage when a couple (one if them Irish) were arrested in Dubai for sexual behaviour in the back of a taxi. It was conveniently ignored that they were warned two or three times previously...first by local security, then by the police. It was only when the next level arrived that they were arrested.

It's an oldie but "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

I've seen unwitting tourists take a selfie in T2 in Dublin and get pulled out of the line! It's a serious old business!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Because it’s not the shìthole the Western media makes it out to be, in the simplest and most straightforward answer to your question. For many Irish people living in Dubai, Ireland is a shìthole by comparison. I’ve a mate living over there five years now and she’s loving every minute of it, happiest she’s ever been in her life, and sent me video of The Coronas playing there in concert on St. Patrick’s Day where they were having a right good knees up. Over here, we were subjected to people pissing on the streets and knocking seven bells out of each other.

Perspective I guess, is what matters.

Give me piss soaked shoes and remove seven bells before you subject me to the Coronas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I can't help but think there's more to this story.

Big time.

From that article:
    Radha Stirling, chief executive of Detained in Dubai, said: “The UAE maintains a deliberately misleading facade that alcohol consumption is perfectly legal for visitors.

“Tourists cannot be blamed for believing that the Emirates are tolerant of Western drinking habits, but this is far from reality.

“It is wholly illegal for any tourist to have any level of alcohol in their blood, even if consumed in flight and provided by Dubai’s own airline. It is illegal to consume alcohol at a bar, a hotel and a restaurant and if breathalysed, that person will be jailed.”

Drinking in Dubai isn't illegal for tourists or expats. What's the full story here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

That story isn't as simple as her having a glass of wine.

She turned up with no visa, starting mouthing off at the immi officials then tried to film them. Yes locking her up for that is probably a bit harsh but personally I don't have much sympathy for her, she should know better than to cause a scene in a place like that. This whole "she was locked up for simply having a glass of wine" bull**** is just media headlining nonsense as usual.

Ah! The more I read the thread the more the truth came out.

Just another click baity topic on AH then. Nothing to see here.

Advertisement