Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solpadeine Addiction!

Options
  • 11-08-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm looking for some advice on where I can go or who I could speak to about my solpadeine addiction.
    I've been taking them for almost 3 years now, it started off one or two a day and then just spiralled out of control to the point I am now taking a full 24 pack everyday. They've taken over my life.
    I can't go cold turkey I've tried so many times and I just can't do it on my own I need someone to speak to, my own gp is out of the question.
    I've been searching online and can't seem to find anywhere that offers support for painkiller addiction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Messyhead

Maybe you can find somewhere through these guys?
    http://www.services.drugs.ie/

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Go to your local GP - its a serious addiction and need proper professional help not just a well intended hotline. Dont be embarassed - I had a back problem and had been taking boxes of neurophen per week far above the legal limit without really bothering or realising - this had been going on for months . An eagle eyed pharmacist spotted the problem and told me how serious it was and made me go back to my GP - turns out I needed surgery and had a real pain problem that needed all kind of other immediate intervention including injections,Codine & physio. The doctor should have copped on months ago that I was in serious pain but they are so busy and its so easy to get into a habbit of taking over the counter meds especially in a generation where going to the doctor was for leg breaking and extreme illnesses only. Dont be embarassed. It a frequent and real problem and your doctor can also prescribe or sort out the problem that is underlying the pain which is half the battle. If you really cant go to your local GP transfer your account to a new doctor - they may need to persxribe meds and you need the doctor to have visibility on all drugs being perscribed as otherwisw they may interfere with each other.
    Over the counter drug addiction is now rampant in america and in many parts of canada - dont be embarassed and fair dues to you for realising you need to sort it out. If you dont want to go to your local dr you could also go to a walk in well-man or well-woman clinic who are usually very understanding and offer a walk in or appointment service for new clients with all kinds of ailments. You may find a handy and more sympathetic one yhat you can use for the future. A doctor you cannot trust or like is little use.
    Best of luck. Seize the day and just ring them today and make an appointment. Ypu are on the road to fixing it already. Well done.

P.S. if you are in rural meath and have few options take the bus into Dublin early some morning and there is a walk in doctor on the hill on the way up to Christchurch cathedral before you get to Iisacs on the other side of the road. That could be a starting point so you see what needs to be done and you dont have to commit other than pay your visit fees and get theor professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Messyhead

Not sure if you're referring to the link I gave as a hotline but just to clarify it's an HSE organisation that does counselling/psychotherapy specifically for addiction at locations around the country, and can do opioid substitution etc if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissGriff

A GP/doctor would be the best thing to start with because the addiction itself is one thing they can help and guide you with.... but also you will most likely need your liver checked.
    The addictive substance in Solpedienes is codeine which is an opiod but is also really bad for your liver plus the paracetamol.
    Your taking a massive amount daily so your physical health could be compromised too.
    My mum was addicted to them, a few months after she got clean/rehab from alcohol. But she went cold turkey......fair play to her. Addictive personality in her case.She ended up addicted to Toblerones.... don't ask!
    It's good that you are aware of the problem and wanting to stop it and that's a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Messyhead wrote: »
    Not sure if you're referring to the link I gave as a hotline but just to clarify it's an HSE organisation that does counselling/psychotherapy specifically for addiction at locations around the country, and can do opioid substitution etc if necessary.
    Messyhead wrote: »

just to clarify it's an HSE organisation

It's funded by the HSE :

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-charities-register/charity-detail?srchstr=ana%20liffey&regid=20013301

If i pay for a pet rat, the rat doesn't automatically become human

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Lou_Daisyx wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice on where I can go or who I could speak to about my solpadeine addiction.
    I've been taking them for almost 3 years now, it started off one or two a day and then just spiralled out of control to the point I am now taking a full 24 pack everyday. They've taken over my life.
    I can't go cold turkey I've tried so many times and I just can't do it on my own I need someone to speak to, my own gp is out of the question.
    I've been searching online and can't seem to find anywhere that offers support for painkiller addiction.

It's not your fault it's hard to kick, us humans just love opiods and all sorts of other things

Anyway, go to A GP

They've seen it loads of times before and you'll have an actual doctor to guide you along

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lou_Daisyx

Thank you to everyone for you're wonderful advice, I was afraid of some negative responses but you're all a sound bunch!
    So I went to my gp the following day and blurted out everything on my chest and F me the relief of saying it all out loud! He's been working to help ease me off them and I'm actually down from 24 a day to 2 in the morning to ease the headache and I'm feeling good! I've been seeing a counsellor 3 times a week to discuss why I felt the need to depend on them in the first place and it had really helped. There's nothing more therapeutical than talking crap to a stranger! Unfortunately they have caused me a bit of damage, my doctor got me some bloods and ultrasounds almost straight away and I do have a bit of liver damage and a lot of cysts in one of my kidneys. So if anyone is battling that torturous addiction please think of what it's doing to your insides!

Advertisement