Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hungary Scrap Gender Studies Indoctrination Courses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

One of the Gender studies lecturers in UCD has taken the news well.

https://twitter.com/MaryMcAuliffe4/status/1027934366180286465

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If you are for Free Speech and exchange of ideas, you should be against this ban.

Doesn't matter if you like to content of the courses, you should be defending their right to teach them.

If you are for Free Speech and exchange of ideas, you should be against this ban.

Doesn't matter if you like to content of the courses, you should be defending their right to teach them.

They're allowed to teach them but not with State funds. What's the problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Great news - perhaps students can now get back to actual learning and not this rubbish.

Gender Studies Degree ? 20 grand in debt at 22 with a piece of paper not worth a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Dem bukes, wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They're allowed to teach them but not with State funds. What's the problem?

And how will universities do that if funding is cut for the courses and legally enforced?

And how will universities do that if funding is cut for the courses and legally enforced?

They'll have to raise their own funds. I don't understand what it has to do with free speech, unless you think Free speech means the government should be obliged to pay for useless courses. Gender studies isn't an academic subject. It is ideological nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

What a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Keepaneye wrote: »

What a surprise.

I heard that there are a lot of protests going on over beyond on some Greek island in the Mediterranean

:p

• Advertisement

What a surprise.

Odd - never heard of her but already blocked on her on Twitter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Any course should involve critical analysis of it's theory. If it doesn't it's not education it's indoctrination. I bet you can guess what would happen on such a course if you wrote a paper on the wage gap that refuted it. Critical analysis is not welcome. These kind of cultish courses are not something I care to see public money spent on. None of these courses have been 'banned' in Hungary, public funding has been withdrawn.

Odd - never heard of her but already blocked on her on Twitter!!!

The snowflakes must have put you on repeal shield. Both my personal account and my troll account are blocked by her too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

conorhal wrote: »
    Any course should involve critical analysis of it's theory. If it doesn't it's not education it's indoctrination. I bet you can guess what would happen on such a course if you wrote a paper on the wage gap that refuted it. Critical analysis is not welcome. These kind of cultish courses are not something I care to see public money spent on. None of these courses have been 'banned' in Hungary, public funding has been withdrawn.

If you suggested on here that some religion courses should not get funding you'd have a feckin' load of support from the hypocritical masses (no pun intended)

They'll have to raise their own funds. I don't understand what it has to do with free speech, unless you think Free speech means the government should be obliged to pay for useless courses. Gender studies isn't an academic subject. It is ideological nonsense.

You, someone who gives off the impression of having never read an academic journal in his life, do not get to decide what is, or is not, an academic subject, Dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Have to really laugh out loud at the usual suspects spouting "but der free speech". They've no problem banning free speech when it suits them.

Well, I am the proud holder of a law degree from one of our best universities, Mr Avon. Care to apologise?

You're also, by your own admission, the proud holder of a Twitter 'troll account', so you'll have to excuse me if I take your protestations with a pinch of salt.

You, someone who gives off the impression of having never read an academic journal in his life, do not get to decide what is, or is not, an academic subject, Dick.

Ouch, that hurt. Someone who calls themselves Yer Da sells Avon thinks I've never read an academic journal. I mightn't recover.

At lest he can punctuate. What's your expertise? I have an masters in a related subject which included modules on this very subject, so I'm more then acquainted with these courses.

• Advertisement

At lest he can punctuate.

At lest I can speel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

If she can’t spell ‘challenge’ correctly, her argument is invalid.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

You're also, by your own admission, the proud holder of a Twitter 'troll account', so you'll have to excuse me if I take your protestations with a pinch of salt.

Try it some time. It's very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Agreed.

The course seems like complete boll*x.

But it shouldnt banned. Its a dangerous slippery slope when we start banning things.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Great news coming out of Hungary. Victor Orban's government have stopped universities offering courses in Gender Studies. It's about time these courses were exposed for the unscientific propaganda vehicles they are.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/orban-bans-gender-studies-courses-in-hungary-report-says-1.6365826

Hungary is literally becoming a dictatorship at this stage anyway so this is probably the least of their problems. Gender Studies is a perfectly valid field, there's a ton of research in the area and it's an area of study just like history, they even overlap.

It has more to do with a regressive government that has very much so been cracking down on everything and is found to be engaged in numerous human rights abuses and attacks on NGOs. You'll proudly just come out with a one liner about snowflakes. But I hope you're just ignorant.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/07/17/hungary-determined-silence-any-critics-left-standing

Agreed.

But it shouldnt banned. Its a dangerous slippery slope when we start banning things.

See your point but cf Christine Hamilton today - sacked from a charity role for saying if a burka is not sinister why is the KKK - as both cover faces?

Speech is only free nowadays if you fall in line with the narrative.

batgoat wrote: »
    Hungary is literally becoming a dictatorship at this stage anyway so this is probably the least of their problems. Gender Studies is a perfectly valid field, there's a ton of research in the area and it's an area of study just like history, they even overlap.

Gender studies my be a legitimate field, but lets be honest, what's taught is hell and gone from academic research and has become an ideological cult.

It has more to do with a regressive government that has very much so been cracking down on everything and is found to be engaged in numerous human rights abuses and attacks on NGOs. You'll proudly just come out with a one liner about snowflakes. But I hope you're just ignorant.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/07/17/hungary-determined-silence-any-critics-left-standing

It's cracked down on foreign funded Soros NGOs, personally I've no problem with banning anything involving that guy, he interferes in national policy more then your average Russian bot farm.

It's cracked down on foreign funded Soros NGOs, personally I've no problem with banning anything involving that guy, he interferes in national policy more then your average Russian bot farm.

That law didn't just hit George Soros who tends to be a figure that there is much bulll**** about by the way. It targeted any NGO, be it Amnesty or anything else. The reason such laws have been brought in is propaganda. The evil 'globalist' agenda is what Orban is trying to push, he's very much so about smear campaigns and propaganda.
    In June, the National Assembly passed a law effectively stigmatizing NGOs that received foreign funding. Under the law on the transparency of organizations funded from abroad, NGOs receiving more than EUR24,000 direct or indirect funding from abroad had to re-register as a “civic organization funded from abroad” and to put this label on every publication. Additionally, the law required NGOs to reveal the identity of their funders and supporters above a threshold of around EUR1,650. The law was adopted amid a government-sponsored communication campaign discrediting NGOs and accusing several of undermining national sovereignty and security. By only covering certain types of civil society organizations, the law directly discriminated against these organizations and imposed limitations on their right to association, including the right to seek, receive and utilize resources. In mid-July, the European Commission notified Hungary of another infringement procedure, based on an assessment that this law imposed measures at odds with the right to freedom of association and unjustified and disproportionate restrictions on the free movement of capital, and raised concerns in relation to the obligation of protecting private life and personal data
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/europe-and-central-asia/hungary/report-hungary/

They're on the path away from democracy, that's the reality. The 2017 Democracy Index classifies them as a 'flawed democracy' at the moment. Press Freedom is marked as 'noticeable problems'. In contrast, Ireland is a 'full democracy' and our press is classified as free. So Hungary is nothing to be aspired to at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh so now we are supposed to admire a Central European wannabe dictator. For what exactly? To give morons something to cheer about? I'm sure you can solve whole pile of economic problems just by not financing gender studies.

Cynic in me would think it is not about the subject but because it's usually taught by left leaning lecturers and you don't want to have them on state wage list. They might encourage the students to protest against the government. But that would be just me...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

If you believe it should be taught and funded then you should think similar for creationism right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Sure he doesn't have the time, to busy trying to take the piss out of abuse victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Is he really banning courses, or is he not paying for them from his mighty budget anymore ?
    Cause I wonder what would anthropologists in Hungary study then ? And if their degrees would be still valid (outside of HU) if there are no longer gender courses included in their curricula ?

... but ... I guess some can plan to study the "Orban effect" - 30 years later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Have to really laugh out loud at the usual suspects spouting "but der free speech". They've no problem banning free speech when it suits them.

Well, if we have to listen to arseholes like Alex Jones, the knuckledraggers should put up with the existence of gender study courses.
    It's not like anyone is forced to take them or cut their willy off.
    The reaction on this thread shows me that a lot of people feel threatened.
    And Hungary is one of the Eastern states that are about to turn into right wing sh*tholes, so I wouldn't take them as a good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Hahahaha Christ on a bike :D

Taytoland wrote: »
    If you believe it should be taught and funded then you should think similar for creationism right?
    Oh you think theology should be banned too? I say let them be...

• Advertisement

Well, if we have to listen to arseholes like Alex Jones, the knuckledraggers should put up with the existence of gender study courses.
    It's not like anyone is forced to take them or cut their willy off.
    The reaction on this thread shows me that a lot of people feel threatened.
    And Hungary is one of the Eastern states that are about to turn into right wing sh*tholes, so I wouldn't take them as a good example.

About as threatened as your gender studies mates getting their multi-coloured hair in a twist because their social reconstruction cult is getting dismantled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hahahaha Christ on a bike :D

Bit of a meltdown alright

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

About as threatened as your gender studies mates getting their multi-coloured hair in a twist because their social reconstruction cult is getting dismantled.
    Ahhh bless another one who thinks it's about the subject of tge studies and not about making sure political critics are silenced.

This type of childlike naivety is quite endearing among 10 year-olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Banning it or removing funding?

Which is it?

defrule wrote: »
    Banning it or removing funding?

Which is it?
    Removing funding. Subject doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any course should involve critical analysis of it's theory.

That'll go down well in the Theology Department!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nermal

They're on the path away from democracy, that's the reality. The 2017 Democracy Index classifies them as a 'flawed democracy' at the moment. Press Freedom is marked as 'noticeable problems'. In contrast, Ireland is a 'full democracy' and our press is classified as free. So Hungary is nothing to be aspired to at the moment.

That would be 'democracy index' published by The Economist, yes? I don't rate the opinions of globalist rags, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh you think theology should be banned too? I say let them be...
    If every theory or outlandish claim should be taught in education then fine, make that point. The big question is should it be publicly funded.

meeeeh wrote: »
    If every theory or outlandish claim should be taught in education then fine, make that point. The big question is should it be publicly funded.
    Did he stop funding them too?

I bet you they are more politically acceptable. And deeply scientific stuff that is theology keeps being funded...

Sure he doesn't have the time, to busy trying to take the piss out of abuse victims.

Don't worry. I've stayed away from the hate filled sectarians in the Pope thread for days now. You don't have to worry about encountering an opposing opinion.

Nermal wrote: »
    That would be 'democracy index' published by The Economist, yes? I don't rate the opinions of globalist rags, sorry.

Human rights org across the globe provide plenty of examples of the issues in Hungary, you'd have to actively ignore the state of the country. They're regressing under a very dodgy government. So shouting 'globalist rag' doesn't change the reality.

I admire the Hungarians for standing up to do the EU bullies and the NGO professional money grabbers. They have a fine immigration stance, too.

Agreed.

It hasn't been banned. The State just isn't funding it anymore - because it's a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Don't worry. I've stayed away from the hate filled sectarians in the Pope thread for days now. You don't have to worry about encountering an opposing opinion.

Nope, you where banned from the thread.

Nope, you where banned from the thread.

True. How are the levels of sectarianism there now? Have they started calling for people to be burned at the stake?

• Advertisement
Advertisement