Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hungary Scrap Gender Studies Indoctrination Courses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Bringing it back in topic a bit does anyone know anyone that is or has done a women's studies or gender studies course?

I'm only guessing but I wonder are there many young people, it would seem a waste to do it if you're looking for a decent job out of it. If imagine most would be fairly well off middle aged and older women who are doing it because it appeals to them, not that they need to carve out a job or career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Bringing it back in topic a bit does anyone know anyone that is or has done a women's studies or gender studies course?

I'm only guessing but I wonder are there many young people, it would seem a waste to do it if you're looking for a decent job out of it. If imagine most would be fairly well off middle aged and older women who are doing it because it appeals to them, not that they need to carve out a job or career.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

These courses are scrapped because they offer nothing. the idea of college is to upskill people for the workforce
    Yes and no TG. That's what industry would like to have us believe and there's much to it in the Real World(tm), but TBH that's reductive, too black and white and a bit Sheldon Cooper for my personal liking.

Universities from their very birth over a thousand years ago(and before, if we stretch the definitions) have always been cauldrons of thought and education for its own sake, whether it turned out to be reductively practical or not. A centre for working out what we collectively as a species know at any one time and grading students on how much of that they know - and maybe add to - individually.

And there are plenty of courses that "offer nothing" beyond themselves and offer equally little in the way of employment but going on to teach said courses. A goodly chunk of the arts courses for a start.

However, and this is just my take, culturally we'd be lesser if we lost those "frivolous" areas of study. Sure feminism, sorry "gender studies", is more a politic than an area of study, social "sciences" can be similar and I personally think them increasingly down the rabbit hole daft, but where do we as a culture draw the line? Life is, or should be more than training to man(or woman) a cubicle, no matter how fancy.

The other question is should we as a society support this kinda thing through our taxes? That's less a given for me, though we support a fair few things that don't necessarily give us an obvious "return for investment".

And this is coming from a man who considers feminism Gender studies to be woo woo ballsology of the highest order. I particularly loved one of the reply tweets to the Irish "doctor" of the subject, when someone tweeted that it was really feminism, and she replied along the lines of "feminism is just as much for men". Maybe the silly bint would have been well served to also take a course in etymology. The clue is in the name. From the Latin; Femina, woman, the female gender.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you feel the same away about creationism or flat earthers?

Yes. And they should be lampooned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

batgoat wrote: »
    Where do you stand on Hitler? Genuinely seems like you would admire him based on the crap you've posted in this thread...

161.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

The planet has a future if she's not a lone example!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Wibbs wrote: »
    I particularly loved one of the reply tweets to the Irish "doctor" of the subject, when someone tweeted that it was really feminism, and she replied along the lines of "feminism is just as much for men".

Holy **** did you just unmask Blindboy Boatarse?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This is the ultimate aim of the right, shut down all dissent.

Seems that if you have a different opinion on the validity of gender studies as being a relevant subject, then you too will be shouted down, compared to Hitler or mocked for dissent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They're allowed to teach them but not with State funds. What's the problem?

But Orban is also banning private universities that teach things he doesn't like, so that simply doesnt cut it, it's very much a shutdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

But Orban is also banning private universities that teach things he doesn't like, so that simply doesnt cut it, it's very much a shutdown

Can you give an example?

• Advertisement

Remember when the left championed Julian Assange as a hero of free speech?

The minute he aired Hillary Clinton's dirty laundry they were calling him a traitor, a Russian agent and asking for him to be droned.

As bad as the right can be, the left in recent years have been far, far, worse with their brand of silencing people they don't like.

Now with Trump Derangement Syndrome is full flow, they are worse than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just two points on the whole discussion:

1. Hungarian PISA results are falling quite significantly so gender studies might not be the biggest problem to solve.

2. Hungarians are doing a lot better under Orban than they were 10 years ago. So while the West in general and Orban's fanboys here mostly concentrate on migrants and building fences it is possible (and I'd say likely) that main reason for his popularity is simply more money in people's pockets. There is still a question mark over whole economic miracle and it will be interesting to see how the situation develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Orban is right, if people want to study something that is basically worthless horseh1t let them pay for it themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Can you give an example?

It was already mentioned, the Soros funded Central European University. Now dislike Soros all you want but it doesn't change the fact it's a shutdown of anything Orban doesn't like, if you can't fund publicly or privately

hell it's even mentioned in your op link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes. And they should be lampooned.
    Why would you waste time, money and effort on something that in your own words "should be lampooned"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Petty move by Orban and his cronies. Whatever one thinks of the content of a GS course, it does not mean it should be singled out for reduced funding (which will effectively ban it). If people want to go the college and study GS then so be it. No government should have the authority to pick and choose what courses they do, and do not like from a university and then withhold funding based on that.

The Hungarian government must be pretty damn weak if they are shaking in their boots that a few GS graduates are going to rise up and topple them.

In your own words, can you tell us exactly why these courses are useless? What is inferior about the information given in these courses?
    Can you supply stats what % of graduates from these courses go on to start careers in fast food establishments?
    Or are you just spouting sh*te because you're the cool and edgy dude?

What information is inferior??...hmm let me see

1. That gender is a social construct. Lets ignore basic biology and the fact that most of the sexual members of plant and animal kingdom has male and female genitals and traits

2. That a patriarchy exists in western society in spite of the fact that western civilisation provides the greatest level of freedom at present in history. The so called oppressed such as non-caucasians and women can pursue any career they wish, wear what they wish, say what they wish, practice what religion they wish. They are no more oppressed then premiership footballers but of course a couple of narcissistic depraved lunatics are mad for power so they came up with this brain wave to indoctrinate millions of naive kids around the world

So what career path is out of gender studies exactly since your an informed expert? Im interested to know all the potential jobs that Hungary could be throwing down the swanny in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Stories like this do my head in...

How many people actually take these courses? I've never met one and I work in an industry where you'd be likely to find them. In fact, I could probably count on only one hand the amount of people I've met in my 30+ years who would seem like they would actually care enough to put in the effort to study such a course.

Orban did this for no other reason bar the optics of it. He's defunded a course barely anyone takes and yet people on here and elsewhere seem to think he's some sort of saviour? The stupidity of it all makes my blood boil!

mzungu wrote: »
    Petty move by Orban and his cronies. Whatever one thinks of the content of a GS course, it does not mean it should be singled out for reduced funding (which will effectively ban it). If people want to go the college and study GS then so be it. No government should have the authority to pick and choose what courses they do, and do not like from a university and then withhold funding based on that.

The Hungarian government must be pretty damn weak if they are shaking in their boots that a few GS graduates are going to rise up and topple them.

They'd topple fúck all. Most of these idiots cant even mount anything resembling a proper debate. Just brats who try and censor anyone who debunks their flawed shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Soy boys and blue haired lesbians absolutely wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

mzungu wrote: »

Ha ha. That's a good one.

How many people actually take these courses? I've never met one and I work in an industry where you'd be likely to find them. In fact, I could probably count on only one hand the amount of people I've met in my 30+ years who would seem like they would actually care enough to put in the effort to study such a course.

Lots. Almost every single university and college has these courses and departments.

You work. That's probably why you have never met one.

The degrees from these courses are worse than useless in the real world.

How will Hungarians learn to hate themselves and their country, heritage, religion, culture etc without these vital gender studies courses?

What have you done Orban?!

How will Hungarians learn to hate themselves and their country, heritage, religion, culture etc without these vital gender studies courses?

What have you done Orban?!

That silly Orban scrapping funding for courses that would lead to high levels of youth unemployment.... Just what is he thinking?! :pac:

Lots. Almost every single university and college has these courses and departments.

You work. That's probably why you have never met one.

The degrees from these courses are worse than useless in the real world.

If use in the "real world" is the criteria for removing funding from courses you could make a fair case for removing such things as pure maths, most artistic and cultural courses, most language courses, philosophy, history, a good chunk of theoretical physics and the list goes on and on.

If the people taking these courses never get work in that field then what is the problem? They can't influence anything on the dole surely?

Stop getting sucked into thinking that political moves like this are actually making your life in anyway better. They aren't. It's a ploy by a politician to garner easy votes and you've fallen for it. Don't be manipulated by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Soy boys and blue haired lesbians absolutely wrecked.

Book-burning troglodytes who know the price of everything and the value of fuck all celebrate.

Book-burning troglodytes who know the price of everything and the value of fuck all celebrate.

Is that you Hapax?

Anyway I'm sure you can still study gender, you'll just have to pay for it yourself. Like studying astrology or homeopathy.

If use in the "real world" is the criteria for removing funding from courses you could make a fair case for removing such things as pure maths, most artistic and cultural courses, most language courses, philosophy, history, a good chunk of theoretical physics and the list goes on and on.

If the people taking these courses never get work in that field then what is the problem? They can't influence anything on the dole surely?

Stop getting sucked into thinking that political moves like this are actually making your life in anyway better. They aren't. It's a ploy by a politician to garner easy votes and you've fallen for it. Don't be manipulated by it.

You assume an awful lot based on what exactly?

FYI I have a PhD and have worked and taught in universities here and abroad.

Anyway I'm sure you can still study gender, you'll just have to pay for it yourself. Like studying astrology or homeopathy.

You'll be waiting a while before we elect a hard-right government here, I'm afraid.

Can people not just buy into this ideology without actually wasting years of their life studying it? Do they need to do a degree in horseshíte?

Any country worth their salt would assess their skills shortages and fund courses that are actually of use and lead to a functional career path.

Gender studies is not only useless but causes societal dysfunction into the bargain and all because a few greedy universities want to take advantage of millennial brats

• Advertisement

You'll be waiting a while before we elect a hard-right government here, I'm afraid.

Exactly Hapax, you're free to waste your money on a worthless gender studies degree here. Your butthurt is misplaced.

Exactly Hapax, you're free to waste your money on a worthless gender studies degree here. Your butthurt is misplaced.

Long may that continue, much to the consternation of the book-burning fraternity. :)

Long may that continue, much to the consternation of the book-burning fraternity. :)

If millenial retards want to get into debt with gender studies then more power to them. How else we learn of the gender dynamics of burger flippers in Macdonalds? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They're allowed to teach them but not with State funds. What's the problem?

State censorship wanting to shut down dissent is the problem. I would have thought that was obvious.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How else we learn of the gender dynamics of burger flippers in Macdonalds? ;)

Indeed, how else we learn.

Nermal wrote: »
    The reality is that the Hungarian government prioritises the rights of its citizens over illegal immigrants and doesn't want to spend taxpayer's money on indoctrination into a post-modern cult. It's not 'dodgy', frankly it's a beacon.

The Hungarian government is effectively doing the opposite - spending money on proagandising and indocrinating its own cult!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Congratulations. You still have biases and from your posting history here it's quite obvious what they are. Orban and his ilk are exploiting them. There's nothing new in what he's doing. You should know better.

batgoat wrote: »
    You two are genuinely reading like people who would have been praising Hitler in his fight against the 'globalist agenda'. The rhetoric, the behaviour of the regime etc aren't dissimilar. Dick, it's not according to me, it's according to numerous human rights orgs across the globe. It's simply that you two are so anti immigrant and right wing in your viewpoints, you're incapable of seeing how bad things are getting over there.

Agreed. They might as well.join Orbans cult as they seem to have been completely taken in by his propaganda.

Terry Pratchet

Ah I see you're coming from the the everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler school of political thought. I thought you would be in favour of democracy. Or is it only when you like it?

Hahahaha - You are seriously calling Orban and Hungary right now democracy? Hilarious.

Terry Pratchet

I know a few. They have gone to academia, nursing, civil service, teaching, civil society campaigns, economists, journalism, community development work, youth work. Quite diverse. Not all middle class lesbians doing it as a hobby at all.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

Congratulations. You still have biases and from your posting history here it's quite obvious what they are. Orban and his ilk are exploiting them. There's nothing new in what he's doing. You should know better.

I said it shouldn't be banned.

In your rush to sift through my posts for some dirt you missed that.

My only bias is against loony gibberish of the sort that is regularly spouted by gender studies departments and their ilk.

Keep making up stuff though, it illustrates your tenuous grasp of reality pretty well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

He assumes all this based on exactly fcuk all except his own ignorance and prejudice and I doubt that person has ever seen a university from the inside, unless he delivers something there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The right wing circle jerk will not read this.
    Too many facts and big words, easier to just scream "Fake News!" and carry on.

Grayson wrote: »
    There's a completely different story to the one you're telling.
    The fact is that no-one actually cited that work. No-one actually believed it. What the writers exposed wasn't that gender studies is bad but rather that the academic publishing company is dodgy.

Gender stiudies courses tend to use research that is based on academic publishing... along with Feminist ideology which is again heavily influenced by academic publishing so....

I don't get your objection, TBH.
    The article you linked to decided to go down a completely different route, ignore the dodgy peer review and focus on the subject matter of the paper instead. They ignored that the writers actually paid someone to get the article in the journal.

Which is what all such research should be doing.... and again, I don't get your objection. Or are you simply arguing for the sake of it?
    Well you see the thing is that these courses are actually absolutely useless and lead to at most if you are lucky a job in Mcdonalds flipping burgers after three years of brainwashing. These courses are scrapped because they offer nothing. the idea of college is to upskill people for the workforce

Not really. These courses have a purpose now. For those people who want the introduction of Quotas, and these graduates will be there to maintain the need for quotas and other such initiatives for "equality". There will be a need for employees who have been trained to be "fair" to women to ensure that equality for [insert gender, race etc here] exists, and then we'll need similar people to be there to report on it in the media.

TBH I suspect these days having a Gender studies qualification, combined with any other industry related Masters qualification, [and being female] would be a guarantee for work and speedy promotions.

The right wing circle jerk will not read this.
    Too many facts and big words, easier to just scream "Fake News!" and carry on.

You do realise that people can support his idea to ban Gender Studies without supporting the rest of his policies/motives?

I swear the way we're all put into neat little groups just so that we can be dismissed is increasingly becoming annoying.

I dislike Gender Studies courses, or "Womens Studies" as they used to be called. I don't dislike Astrology because it doesn't encourage a line of thought that pits one gender against another. Astrology doesn't matter, one way or another. Gender Studies and similar courses, will become more important as time goes by.

Gender Studies is based in a mishmash of Peer-related papers, some valid research, and heaps of assumptions without solid foundations. But it's becoming more accepted in spite of it's lack of solid evidence. That we allow such courses is like suggesting we should allow the KKK to run a course in University to introduce and promote their viewpoints of racial superiority.

I have yet to see any of the posters complaining about this ban actually defend the course itself. Perhaps because you already understand that it's a course that encourages misandry.

Argue that Orban is an evil influence, and I could agree with you more. Although, he did say that such a course, does not match with their culture. And he might be right there. I've seen very little to suggest that Gender studies actually seeks to promote equality... but then I suppose Equality isn't what he wants. With Gender studies, a more female dominated society rather than the more traditional male dominated society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

TBH I suspect these days having a Gender studies qualification, combined with any other industry related Masters qualification, [and being female] would be a guarantee for work and speedy promotions.

Which is why there is malarkey such as the Scottish government publishing education protocols whereby children between 5 and 9 years old will be taught to choose their own gender. People graduate from these courses and move into positions whereby they have influence on social policy.
    According to teaching materials created jointly by Education Scotland, the Scottish government and the NHS, pupils will be asked to decide whether they are a boy, a girl or neither.
    Source - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/five-year-olds-to-choose-their-gender-26m3x2frt

I do not think they should be banned at all. Far more productive and effective would be to properly fund rigorous academic courses that counter-balance, investigate, query, counter-publish and debate the anti-scientific gender and social study modules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gender studies is a load of bollix. That it's a subject in uni is laughable. Don't have an objection to it, but better suited to an evening class/night course along with 'discover your aura' or 'creative writing'.

What I will say is that they have a weird attitude to women in Hungary. Went into a few places with female friends and even though I was further away from the server/counter, the women were overlooked as if they didn't exist.

I know a few. They have gone to academia, nursing, civil service, teaching, civil society campaigns, economists, journalism, community development work, youth work. Quite diverse. Not all middle class lesbians doing it as a hobby at all.

Not diverse at all - the professions in bold are really just regurgitating the same old tired "31 gender" bollocks and the other professions would laugh in your face if all you had was a gender studies diploma.

• Advertisement

Gender studies is a load of bollix. That it's a subject in uni is laughable. Don't have an objection to it, but better suited to an evening class/night course along with 'discover your aura' or 'creative writing'.

What I will say is that they have a weird attitude to women in Hungary. Went into a few places with female friends and even though I was further away from the server/counter, the women were overlooked as if they didn't exist.

Yeah that's not unique - we have to carefully balance our laboratory groups so that the Saudi male students don't ride roughshod over the opinions of the female students.

Advertisement